Not New, Just Back

Options
Hi MFPs! I was a member several years ago & am back for motivation! I really want to work out, but struggle finding the motivation to actually do it! I’m hoping to find inspiration in your stories.

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,047 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi, welcome back to MyFitnessPal!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a fickle thing.

Sometimes you just need to treat exercise like a job. Or like a dr ordered medication.

Put it in your day planner and just make it happen.

That said, it’s worth exploring what would work better for you. Maybe a different routine, or a different location?

What kind of exercise are you currently doing?
  • JustHereForInspiration
    Options
    I’m currently procrastinating, which is the story of my life when it comes to exercise! I read a lot & see things that interest me; however, something always comes up or gets me off track. In the past, I may stay consistent to weight training for a week or two, but something always derails me.

I do like your suggestions of making it like a prescription from the doctor & planning for it. I need to do this for myself! Thank you for the suggestions!
  • ebusquet
    ebusquet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Same procrastination issues, I drive to the gym parking lot for years and
    nothing…
    Actually what really has helped me is a walk for an hour. Now I’m slowly incorporating jogging. I also bike for an
    hour. walking gives me an extra 200 calories and biking is 400 calories. Also logging everything i eat. good luck.
    Ed
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Hi MFPs! I was a member several years ago & am back for motivation! I really want to work out, but struggle finding the motivation to actually do it! I’m hoping to find inspiration in your stories.

"Working out" is optional. Doing fun things that increase body movement in one's life is good for a person. I'm a big believer in figuring out what kind of movement is fun, for starters. It takes less motivation to do fun things, and I'm not very good at "motivation", personally.

Personally, I mostly row (boats when I can, machines when I must) and bike (trails/stationary bike, same kind of idea). The rowing has motivated me to do other things to get better at rowing, even. (Along the way, some lifting, swimming, etc.)

I also use challenges, "appointment activity", and that "schedule it and do it, don't make it something you decide about in the moment" thing (like grocery shopping or doing laundry, it just needs to be done, even if not all that fun ;) ). "Appointment activity" is some kind of scheduled thing with other people, like a group class or group row or walk with a friend.

There's a challenges section here, as you probably know, but I'll link it in case new people are also reading:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

For myself, I usually do challenges within the wider rowing community, not in groups here (mostly).

Best wishes!