I am wondering how to add kettlebell work outs in the system. Am I just overlooking them in the app?

Options
I have just been typing in kettlebell work outs in the notes section.

Answers

• BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    edited March 22
    Options
    I log them as either Strength Training or HIIT depending on how I'm using them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    edited March 22
    Options
    I log them as either Strength Training or HIIT depending on how I'm using them.

Endorsed. Another option would be "Circuit training, general". When BrightEyedAgain mentions strength training, that'd be "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" in the cardiovascular section of MFP. That one includes normal short between-set rests typical of common strength training regimens, so you'd log the whole time period if that's what you're doing.

ETA: Personally, I don't like logging things as "HIIT". There are way too many wildly different activities all being described as HIIT these days, and they can have quite dissimilar calorie expenditures. When possible, I'd suggest adding exercise as the type of activity it actually is, such as strength training, calisthenics, biking, running or whatever. Some of MFP's calorie estimates for certain activities are . . . very approximate, probably high for the common case. Using "HIIT" for wildly different activities increases the potential for inaccurate estimates IMO.

Generically, HIIT is not a type of exercise (an exercise modality). It's a pacing strategy that can be applied to many different types of exercise.
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 ...good point about the HIIT problem. I should have been more clear. I only use that when I'm doing kettlebells as part of a fast-paced interval workout in a class or with a trainer. I know it's probably not technically HIIT, but that designation is close enough for my purposes. It might not be for others, though, so I'm glad you commented.