How do you REALLY lose weight/burn fat? So many opinions!

Options
I'm sick of reading this and reading that about exercise and how to lose weight. Everybody has a million opinions and testimonies. But then someone else writes a different conclusion of how to do it. Who do I listen to?! For example...some people say to exercise only 50 minutes and no more, then others turn around and say to exercise 90 minutes. What the heck? Some people say to "do a lot of cardio", then another person turns around and says "don't do cardio just lift weights it works better than cardio." What worked for YOU? I would like to hear from people who have lost at least 30 pounds because this is about how much I'm trying to lose. Advice is very welcome. Specific details are encouraged! :)

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I work out 7 days a week, at least 1 hour a day. I do a mix of cardio (whatever kind I'm in the mood for) and strength training with weights or resistance bands. I drink lots of water, I workout at different times on different days.... I don't know if that helps, but on the weekends, if I wait until my usual 9pm workout time, I'm liable to say "F - it" and go to bed instead of doing my exercise. For cardio, I do plyometrics, cardio x, kenpo x, hip hop abs, two different turbo jam videos and i go to a zumba class once a week. I also train 3 days a week for a 5k that im doing pretty soon. I've lost 73 lbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses weight the same way, a caloric deficit. Diet is 90% of weight loss. Throwing in lifting is to preserve lean muscle while on a cut. Do strictly cardio and you run the risk of becoming skinny fat
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Ensure you burn more on a daily basis than you eat. Practice consistently.

Thats it. Anything else is BS distraction from the hard simple fact.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Follow the calorie recommendations listed on here, do not worry about anything BUT the calories...

Do cardio as much as possible to lower your bfp, at least 5 days a week...

Do weight training every OTHER day... I have not done this, but I know this to be the case.

And as harsh as this sounds... when people are throwing out advice... take a look at their pics and their progress... that gives you a good idea whether or not they know what they are talking about ;)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Definitely working on what goes in my mouth is how I lost my fat. Exericse was secondary. Its all about 80% of what goes in your mouth and 20% exercise.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I lost about 100 pounds in total, very slowly over 6 years on and off. I have only taken the latst two months seriously. All I did was cycle with a pupose and eat better (still eating stuff I probably shouldn't be). So if I needed to go somewhere I cycled. All I had at first was a chopper so it was really hard work hence very quick weightloss at first. I then moved to holland for a year and cycled at least 8 miles a day. I got quite thin then.

I guess what works for me is cardio. I don't lift weigthts and I briefly went to the gym but couldn't be bothered with it. For me, exercise has to fit in with my lifestyle otherwise I just don't keep it up. I have started swimming which is working well. I know lot of people who have really benifttied from cycling and swimming. I think going to the gym has to be for a purpose as it is not somethig that fits into your every day life and it can be very boring (for me). I hope to start doing more classes like Zumba, aerobics etc, more for meeting people and watching others, that keeps me motivated.
  • bedinky1207
    bedinky1207 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42 pounds so far. I started heavy on cardio (I found a new love in running). Once I started to drop weight I started more weight training. I personally do a lot of workout classes that involve body sculpting. So cardio and weight training. Now I also do 3 days of weight training. My workout schedule is very intense right now but I'm seeing the results and loving it!! I have muscles! :) You have just got to start and find out what works for you.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Definitely working on what goes in my mouth is how I lost my fat. Exericse was secondary. Its all about 80% of what goes in your mouth and 20% exercise.

I agree 100%! Learning what you eat, what you need to eat and portion control is what helped me to lose weight. I do workout 4 days a week 30 mins cardio each time and then lifting weights to tone. But even when I couldn't make it to the gym for 2 weeks I still lost weight because my diet was better.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I agree with this a lot I have lost 12 pounds in the last 2 months and this is the first time I have ever truly cut out most of the crap I used to eat.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    As above, I monitor what I eat to achieve a calorie deficit.

I started off exercising because I thought it was something you *had* to do to lose weight. After I found MFP and was able to accurately monitor calories in vs calories out I could have stopped exercising and just used diet to keep the loss going, but I enjoy the exercise and I'm sure I wouldn't feel as good if I wasn't as fit as I am now.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE
    took 80% of that as my daily goal total
    1g protein per 1 lb body weight (or target weight if you prefer)
    25%cals from fats....the rest carbs.

MWF I do strength training with some brief spurts of cardio for one hour , T, TH, Sat, is low to moderate cardio for one hour.

I have no idea how much of that contributes to actual fat loss, but I can tell you I'm happy with the results so far.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to lose it as I've never had a problem, but I can tell you how I've kept it off.

I'm 44 years old I was maybe 165lbs in high school. I think I'm 170lbs now.

I've always created a calorie deficit and ate right even before finding MFP. I mainly joined to encourage my family and friends. You have to replace processed carbs with fruits/veggies and drink plenty of water. Every once in a while I'll splurge on pizza but not much. I know almost exactly what I'm going to eat that day before the day begins.

Also, I've always been a runner. I ran track in high school and belong to a run club now. We all go out to drink after it's a blast. I still run 2-3 times a week. I also add a little free weights in there but not much.

Hope that helps.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Burn more than you take in. Exercise to make it go faster. Track everything and anything you put in your mouth daily from the time you wake up until you go to bed.

Don't give up when the scale goes up 2lbs and you think it should have gone down 1lb. Your body hates you and wants to mess with your head, don't let it.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The reason you hear so many different stories is that there is no one right way to do it. In the world of diet and exercise there are very few empirical truths. Everybody's bodies respond differently to the same inputs and outputs. Genetics plays such a huge role in this that you can't say there is only one right way to go about it. Additionally, different dietary approaches work better for some but not others simply due to differences in mental approach. Some people follow a strict plan better, some like to have the flexibility to choose their foods but with a Point system to guide them, still others do better when they monitor every single calorie and nutrient.

The only things that can truly be said for fact are your body derives energy from food. That energy is measured in a unit called calories. Some foods are more calorie dense than others. Your body uses that energy to complete it's daily functions. If the body has a surplus of energy, it will look to store that away to be used at a later time. If the body has a deficit of energy it will go to those energy stores to make up the difference.

So what you have to do to find the right answer for you is read each of the different diets that's out there. Find one that makes sense to you logically and that you feel you can follow easily and go with it. Same with the exercise. Find a plan that you think you have the ability and the equipment to complete and that you think you'll enjoy (or at least not hate too much) and then go with it.
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Great advice I feel the same .The lose you have to cut calories and burn them.Eat healthy calories and feel better. Cardio is a must and ill burn fat . Light muscle training is good if you are more concerned about losing if you start heavy you are going to build more muscle. I think you are ready to see the scale move. so I say eat right,get in that cardio,don't forget your supplements,add some strength training and after the pounds start to come off you can up the strength training for more muscles.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Because there are so many ways, as you've stated, in the grand scheme of things, there's not one specific way that's greatly more effective than another. It kind of depends on your goal, but the one thing that all techniques share is diet, as it is the backbone for the specific goal you have in mind. Lose weight = calorie deficit. Gain weight = calorie surplus. Maintain weight = maintain calorie balance of BMR + TDEE. If you have macro goals, eat the required foods and/or supplements to meet them; i.e. increased protein, carb cycling, etc.

As for activity, find a balance with what works for you. HIIT routines and/or lifting heavy are usually the staple advice given to those who are looking to burn fat. Look at all of the different stories and testimonies. Since there's a variety, choose what interests you and try it for a few weeks. If it works, stick with it. You always have the option of changing it up.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to lose it as I've never had a problem, but I can tell you how I've kept it off.

I'm 44 years old I was maybe 165lbs in high school. I think I'm 170lbs now.

I've always created a calorie deficit and ate right even before finding MFP.

How did you manage to gain weight at a deficit?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP-

I suggest you do some reading and research.

Lyle McDonald is a good place to start ---> http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Then....go to Alan Aragon's site.

Then...go to Martin Berkhan's site..

There is a world of FACTUAL info out there.
  • allybub
    Options
    Totally agree with the eating theme, i have lost 48 pounds since just before last christmas, from easter i started running every day but i lost about 21 pounds before starting to excersize we follow healthy eating rather than calling it a diet. We try to eat as little fat as possible, my diary is open so take a look.

I try an run at least 5 - 6 days a week only for about 20 minutes and if i can get to the gym which is hardly ever prob once a fortnight. I only go on the bkies for about 20 mins and then the rowing machine for 20 mins.

My cals are set at 1200 and i never eat back my excersize cals. Also if i ever cheat the weight lose stops. So i dont cheat and eat any sweets or cakes or puddings which is how i got to the size i was at the start of my journey.

Good luck with your life style change and healthy eating plan - its so worth all the hard work
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Oral sex. Lots and lots of oral sex. You get your workout in and then you get your recovery protein shot. Oh yeah and its 100% natural.

Enjoy!!

Lol ...nice =)