Lunch on the Go

Options
kayfhoward1
kayfhoward1 Posts: 63 Member
Hi all! I’m a delivery driver in east Texas. I typically don’t stop to eat lunch as it makes my day longer. I generally eat between stops. I’m looking for healthier options. TIA

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Why can't you bring your own lunch in a small cooler?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    ...and...healthier options than...what? There are lower calorie and/or more vegetables fast food choices, and nearly every grocery store in my area has a deli and grab and go salads, sandwiches to order, etc.
  • Healthcoachsteve_
    Healthcoachsteve_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey @kayfhoward1 It's awesome that you are looking to make some better choices for lunch! It can definitely get difficult when you are on the road all day. Besides packing yourself some things in a cooler, and since you are on the road a bunch Buc-ee's could be a great option. They have a really great "fresher" food section with salads, wraps & fruit. I always stop there when i'm driving from Houston to Austin.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,888 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and fruit (among other things) are usually available at gas-station mini-markets. If you watch out for ones heavy on sugar and light on protein, there are yogurt/kefir or protein drinks, even. Also, take a look at protein bars.

I like the "small cooler" idea (with the reusable ice block). A small insulated bowl-type container lets you bring hot leftovers or soup, or cold foods, from home.

There are some dehydrated soup cup/oatmeal cups that are nutritious and reasonably filling, and all you need is hot water. Usually the quick stops would have hot water, or there actually exist travel pots that plug into a vehicle's power plug.

I've taken canned or pouch foods on trips with me to eat along the way: Even some things that are supposed to be hot are good at room temp. Dehydrated hummus or refried beans exist, just add water, could eat with crackers.

And yes, some fast food places have reasonably healthy options. Sometimes you can order things that aren't even explicitly on the menu: Check out the chain's online nutrition calculators to figure out what substitutions you can make to better fit your goals, so you're ready to order. I like Subway salads (might be too slow for you to eat, dunno), and a version of Taco Bell veggie power bowls that drop the rice and add more black beans.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    edited March 23
    Options
    Are you trying to tackle mindless munching because you're driving in the car, or deal with eating your meals on the run?

Depending on the specific situation this may be similar to someone else tackling munching while watching TV. I.e. may require tackling the whole situation, not the food.

If you're munching in the car... check out the calories in a bag of baby carrots, or broccoli, or cauli, or a lb or two of baby tomatoes. I.e lower calories larger volume veggies or fruits that can last a long time at room temp without spoiling

Meals you've had some good advice above.

I add that 3-500 Cal Indian meal pouches do not require refrigeration, can be eaten with a spoon, and can be, suboptimally, eaten at room temp directly from the sealed foil bag.

Many convenience stores have noodle bowls. You have a car. My current "self leveling" ozeri scale was under $20 and works in a car or store. Get bowl of noodles or bring from home and just buy hot water. Remove part of noodles if you can't afford 4-550+Cal in the bowls (measure and log negative grams), add the veggies you got sitting in car, nuke a minute or so more than directed.... enjoy.

But somehow I suspect you're looking for munching advice. Not eating meal advice.

Not everything can or will or even needs to change at once. But you do have to identify and decide how to handle your biggest issues.

Is this one of them? What do your logs say?

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Re: Mindless munching.

I recently discovered miswak. Also called siwak, or peelu.

It’s a stick that has beneficial properties for teeth and gums. Very common in Muslim cultures.

You can find it on Amazon, or if you’re lucky enough to have a Halal grocery nearby they probably have it.
  • kayfhoward1
    kayfhoward1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I do carry a cooler with me for water and such. I started out carrying protein drinks because I can drink those while driving rather than have to stop and scarf something down. My route is mostly rural so having to stop to eat cuts into what’s already a lot of windshield time. The past week or so I’ve gotten the little beef/cheese stick packs (again, I can eat those while driving to my next stop) but I know those aren’t the best choices either.