What meal plan is working best for you with diabetes meds?

Options
JCFan3
JCFan3 Posts: 146 Member
Hi, I’m getting ready to start new meds for diabetes. I’m needing to lower A1C and lose additional 45 pounds. I would love to hear what has worked for other diabetics or to be able to view food diaries if others are welling to share what has worked for them.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    edited March 26
    Options
    Those (obesity & diabetes) are symptoms of metabolic syndrome with inflammation the effective mechanism and to actually address those symptoms you need to reduce that effective mechanism, inflammation. If you pick a dietary strategy that is also ideal to help reduce inflammation like the Mediterranean diet, vegetarian diet, autoimmune protocol diet, low carb and ketogenic diets for example they will speed up that process. These diets when done properly will be more satiating and weight loss is much much easier, but you have to know these are diets that are very foreign for most people and will be difficult to adhere to, you have to want it, a lot. If you don't exercise, do that at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes, yeah it's not really that hard and once you get into it and see the rewards you get, you'll be glad you did. Low carb worked for me and have maintained it for over a decade.
  • JCFan3
    JCFan3 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the info. It is greatly appreciated. I am going to meet with a nutritionist soon to learn more.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    Options
    JCFan3 wrote: »
    Thank you both for the info. It is greatly appreciated. I am going to meet with a nutritionist soon to learn more.

Low carb and ketogenic diets work very well for diabetes and actually are putting people into full remission, as well as reducing inflammation and improving health markers in the absence of weight loss and very important that that person talk with their clinician or Dr. because of medications that will need to be adjusted. However, easy weight loss is another result for the vast majority of people on this diet. Personally when I was overweight and pushing the insulin resistance threshold the ketogenic diet fixed all that very quickly and have maintained now for about 12 years. The problem is conventional wisdom and the basic narrative will convey it's the worst diet on the planet and not sustainable, I forget, which diet are? It's up to us the individual to do the due diligence because as an example adding fruit to oatmeal is one solution that's popular for diabetics but there are other solutions as well, is all I'm trying to infer. :)