Not new just quiet….

Options
Hello, I have been on my fitness pal for over 5 years. It’s a great tool. I fall in and out of love with it regularly however, I have lost 50 lbs and feel like the app has been the most helpful for me through my journey. I always need help staying motivated.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,584 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've been on MFP for almost 9 years, just under a year to lose 50-ish pounds and about 8 years staying at a healthy weight. Prior to that I was overweight/obese for around 30 years. (I'm 68, so that's most of my adult life.)

I can't speak for others, but motivation isn't the sharpest tool in my toolkit. I can't rely on motivation, willpower or discipline to stay at a healthy weight long term (ideally permanently). That means I need to rely mainly on finding easy-to-stick-with, happy, practical habits that can run almost on autopilot. I need to be eating in a way I enjoy (tasty, affordable, practical) that's also calorie appropriate and nutritious (on average, most days). It can't feel deprived or restrictive. I need an activity routine that's reasonably fun, not punitively unpleasant.

This isn't perfect, but it's working out OK so far. Fingers crossed it will keep working, and certainly I try to keep working at it.

I'm not saying that's the right solution for you or others: We all have different preferences, strengths, and challenges. As a hedonistic aging hippie type, I have particular struggles if I try to do unpleasant things that are supposed to be good for me.

I hope you can find a formula that works for you long term, whether that's motivation or something else.

Best wishes.
  • jackie24324
    jackie24324 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 25
    Options
    Not new just quiet, sounds like me, I’ve been in and off here for about 5 years, I won’t delete it because it really helps me be accountable when i use it. I need accountability and encouragement to help me loose about 40 lbs.
  • ebusquet
    ebusquet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracy, great accomplishment over the years. i’m also quietly here. I’ve been in it for 2 yrs, lost 20 need another 20 to go. I’m actually a bit obsessed with logging in now heavily for the last 2 months.
    Before that I also fell out of love for it. but now i’m back LOL. I’ve also increased exercises since I’ve retired and have more time. It seems that has helped me. Well have a good day.
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Zebra_Aitch Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracey / everyone
    Well done ! Wondering what you have found to be most useful , the food tracker ?
    I have also been here before but never really stuck it out … 😖 but now I really have to ! I am almost 18stone ! And struggling to walk ( for a number of reasons not just cos I’m chunky 😂) so would love to do something about this !
    I would love to have a small group of comrades to share our experiences as I get a little overwhelmed with the posting systems on here ,
    I’m 56 from north east England , I have a few health issues, main one ehlers danlos , it’s a joint thing ( boring 🤣) I have a little dog , Im into mindfulness ( it’s helped me focus ) , I like to think I know quite a lot about basic healthy eating but crave snacks … and would love a couple of fitness pal friends 😊