Sugar in fruit

Options

My dialysis nutritionist said fruit is a carb, not sugar. Why does your app count sugar in fruit then?

Answers

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    Fruit is made up of a combo of carbs, including sugar and fiber. MFP counts the fiber in fruit, too, if the person who created that particular entry included it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a type of carb. You'd have to ask your nutritionist why s/he said that.

Sometimes dietitians (which is what we call the people with relevant education/credentials/certification here in the US) want us to eat a certain amount of carbs in the form of fruit, veggies, whole grains and/or no-sugar-added dairy foods: Those foods have lots of nutritional value.

Often, though, they want us to limit added sugar, i.e., sugar that's put into a prepared food product in the form of granulated sugar, honey, concentrated fruit juice, corn syrup, maple syrup, and various other sweeteners.

Perhaps your nutritionist was making that distinction: Whole fruit is nutrient dense, has fiber that will typically slow down how the inherent sugars in the fruit are absorbed into our bodies. Added sugars in processed foods are more likely to spike blood sugar suddenly. (Note: I know that blood sugar response to foods varies from one individual to the next. But that's the generality.)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    if you are on dialysis you really should be following what your health professionals advise

Is this nutritionist part of your renal team?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited March 29
    Options
    First of all, carbs are sugar as far as the body is concerned and fruit naturally have sugars in them and why it's analyzed separately as sugar. Not sure why your dialysis nutritionist either isn't aware of that or just figured they would phrase it that way to keep thing simple, don't know.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    LOL @ your "nutritionist".
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    Most people don’t really think about sugar beyond sweets, or carbohydrates beyond bread and spaghetti.

The truth is that carbohydrates are complex sugars.

Carbohydrates include both complex and simple sugars -- perhaps you meant carbohydrates include complex sugars, but the way you phrased it makes it sound like carbohydrates are only complex sugars.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    My dialysis nutritionist said fruit is a carb, not sugar. Why does your app count sugar in fruit then?

Because the app reflects actual science and what words really mean, not what your nutritionist tells you because they don't trust you to be able to understand the complete, real explanation.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb, the way a sweater is an item of clothing.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Most people don’t really think about sugar beyond sweets, or carbohydrates beyond bread and spaghetti.

The truth is that carbohydrates are complex sugars.

Carbohydrates include both complex and simple sugars -- perhaps you meant carbohydrates include complex sugars, but the way you phrased it makes it sound like carbohydrates are only complex sugars.

The intention of my answer to the OP was to address why the OP’s nutritionist would call fruit a carb. I was trying to hit the big picture without getting too complicated.