Evening snacking

Options
Hi Everyone,
I just signed up today for MFP and I'm excited to start using it. One of my biggest issues is snacking after dinner...usually around 8pm. I know this isn't good but I can't stop. Does anyone have any ideas for a snack, if I really need one, that might be on the healthier side. I have tried fruit or veggies and it isn't cutting it. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Jodi

Replies

• kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love those 100 cal personal pop corn bags! They're filling and yummy. Yogurt is good too, or a single serving of the slow churned ice cream! It's usually around 100 cals per serving
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

One of my biggest issues is snacking after dinner...usually around 8pm. I know this isn't good but I can't stop.

Nothing wrong with that! So long as you maintain your calorific deficit, doesn't matter when you eat those calories! I tend to eat more after dark, so i have little in daylight hours, a big dinner, than snacks when required. I just log everything, and work out how much i got left to spend! :)
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A handful of nuts (walnuts, almonds) and ... if you have a late-night sweet tooth like I do ... a square of dark chocolate with those nuts :).

The problem isn't necessarily the late night snacking, but eating too many calories over the course of the day. So if you plan for a snack by cutting out a few cals earlier in the day, it doesn't really matter what you eat or when you eat it as long as it's in your calorie allocation. My opinion of course :).

Welcome to MFP and good luck to ya!
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I do a serving of cream cheese, a servign of whole wheat ritz crackers and a handful of grapes, really low and filling and then chug a bottle of water.

Also, fruit with string cheese, or mini rice cakes, the flavored ones. make some fiber one muffins and have fruit with that , or just fruit and veggies.
  • mcb816
    Options
    Eat a bigger breakfast and more throughout the day. My nutritionist recommended that to me and it helped tremendously!
  • TimetoLose_
    Options
    If you are into yogurt, try chobani greek yogurt with almonds or granola in it! It will definitely fill you up. I also always want to snack after dinner, so I usually have yogurt, pretzels, or sometimes an apple with peanut butter =] Good Luck!
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Plan out your meals...and snacks so you can have those evening snacks.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Any of the 100 calorie snacks are awesome!! When I want a good crunch, I love to get those snow pea pods, and dip them in the Bolthouse Farms Parmesan Caesar dressing. I love that!
  • JodiK82
    JodiK82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm excited to try your suggestions and seeing what works for me.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    A flat bread with some sliced turkey or a pita pocket with sliced turkey. It's low in calories and I have found that I feel like I need that extra bit of protein at night to help me feel full and I sleep better. Cottage cheese with some dry sugar free jello is good too....and is protein.
  • paradise666
    Options
    After dinner and/ or before I go to bed I have tea w/ honey. It satisfies my sweet tooth and is my way of signally my body to stop eating. I like Celestrial seasonings sleepy time vanilla. (no affiliations lol)
  • milliemouse
    milliemouse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Just found an awesome snack!

Special K Cracker Chips! 30 chips for 110 calories! 30!!! :) There are 2 kinds- sea salt & sour cream and onion.

Perfect for when you're craving a salty snack!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Use the settings to change from traditional meals to something like: breakfast, lunch, dinner, evening snack and divide your calories accordingly, to save plenty of calories for the evening. Or exercise after dinner (lightly if you just ate) like walking around the neighborhood or something simple, and you'll burn some extra calories for your snack.
  • annav007
    annav007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I eat the biggest chunk of my calories before I get home, I'm less inclined to snack a whole bunch after dinner. Don't get me wrong, I still like a little something afterwards, but MFP helps you put everything together. You could always try getting the same, or roundabout, number of calories every time you eat/snack. I know that's helped me a lot. But yes, MFP helps you calculate in your snackies, too ; )
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Cereal with a little soymilk does it for me!
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

One of my biggest issues is snacking after dinner...usually around 8pm. I know this isn't good but I can't stop.

Nothing wrong with that! So long as you maintain your calorific deficit, doesn't matter when you eat those calories! I tend to eat more after dark, so i have little in daylight hours, a big dinner, than snacks when required. I just log everything, and work out how much i got left to spend! :)

I'm only quoting this because I do stay in a deficit when I snack at night but there is a clear difference when I allow myself to snack at night and when I don't (I tend to weigh less if I don't).

My biggest recommendation is to keep a bottle of water with you and grab it whenever you want something to snack on. The problem is that mindless snacking definitely adds up. If you still want a bite, grab something with protein that is low in sugar.

My favorite thing to do is to have cut up veggies (if I just feel like munching) and eat them with a light healthy sauce. I lean towards mustard but I know that's gross. People might not like what I say next but I am actually going to say avoid fruit at night. If you are craving sweets, allow yourself an apple to eat slowly but the problem with fruit? Sugar. It might be a better kind of sugar but it isn't going to fill you, just make you want to snack more...