Starting Keto

Options
Hi there!
I’m new to keto and have a lot of questions. Like, what is the max calories I should eat per day, the amount of sugar allowed, is there groceries on iHerb that recommended?
Need some help and good advice:-)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I suggest you do some reconnaissance and understand what a ketogenic diet actually is before you venture into those waters. The most successful people, almost to a fault are the people where through trial and error eventually found this dietary strategy to help with their health complications where other diets failed. Otherwise it's a very strict elimination diet that forgoes all the yummy carby and sugary foods that most people love and for the most part aren't willing to give up which eventually leads to failure and like most failures they blame it on the diet, don't be that person. Alternatively you could just consume more whole food like a Mediterranean diet, but again compared to a SAD diet it's still an elimination diet, just not as drastic. Of course there's always counting calories. good luck with your journey
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    kfjk2ncdzm wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I’m new to keto and have a lot of questions. Like, what is the max calories I should eat per day, the amount of sugar allowed, is there groceries on iHerb that recommended?
    I don’t think you should be doing a KETO diet,
    You need a better understanding of it before proceeding.

• hikerdan
    hikerdan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can, read the “Keto for Dummies “ book. It answered lots of my questions and did a great job of explaining the key concepts.

Most people need 2,000 calories a day to maintain weight. Eating 1,500/day is supposed to put you on course to lose a pound a week, since 3,500 calories = 1 pound Good luck. Good nutrition.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    hikerdan wrote: »
    If you can, read the “Keto for Dummies “ book. It answered lots of my questions and did a great job of explaining the key concepts.

Most people need 2,000 calories a day to maintain weight. Eating 1,500/day is supposed to put you on course to lose a pound a week, since 3,500 calories = 1 pound Good luck. Good nutrition.

No.

The number of calories people need to maintain weight varies widely, depending on age, weight, height, body composition, activity level, etc. 1500 per day is some people's maintenance calorie level. OTOH, 3500 is some other people's maintenance calorie level. It can be higher or lower than those (though many probably fall somewhere in that range), or anything in between. Since maintenance calories vary by hundreds of calories from one person to the next, so do calorie goals for weight loss.

OP, use MFP to get a calorie goal (set up your profile with accurate data, tell it you want to lose a pound a week (more if very overweight, less if only 10-15 pounds to lose, loosely speaking). Or use a TDEE calculator like this one to get an estimate of your calorie needs:

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Either of those methods is still an estimate, which you can test/validate by following the estimate for 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycles if you have those), then compare target weekly weight loss to actual average weekly loss, and adjust goal if necessary based on your own personal experience.

If you're calorie counting when doing keto, you'd start with the same calorie goal as you'd start with if you were doing paleo, vegetarian, low fat, low carb, intermittent fasting, or any other way of eating. (That should tell you something.)

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    hikerdan wrote: »

some people need more and some need less than 2,000 to maintain their weight so you can’t go off that number.

There is no magic to KETO for a non diabetic. People think it’s a Backdoor entry into stored fat which it isn’t. For the OP I’d stick with a more balanced diet.

• antonyshow
    antonyshow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kfjk2ncdzm wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I’m new to keto and have a lot of questions. Like, what is the max calories I should eat per day, the amount of sugar allowed, is there groceries on iHerb (here I read about iherb products) that recommended?

I often order macadamia nuts, chia seeds. hope you have figured out the keto diet. That was the hardest part for me at first.)
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    honestly, I would not tackle two things at once. Why don’t you first try counting calories and finding a calorie level at which you start losing weight? You probably will not need to add the additional choice of keto. my worry would be trying to do two things at once would be really frustrating.