It's just not happening

Options
So, I've gained weight...bumber. Honestly, I just really am feeling discouraged. The hardest thing it trying to get myself to believe that my goals are attainable - being the person I want to be just seems unrealistic. I'm really struggling to get myself together. My schedule has drastically changed and I have never been good with time management. Now working M-F (8 - 4:30), school full-time (classes Thursday & Sunday & online), and church activities seem to have my head spinning. Every time I want to sit down and chill in front of the t.V. and do nothing, my heart sinks and I become anxious, knowing that something that I ought to be doing besides being on couch. Already behind in school work, gaining weight instead of losing it, and not smoking (trying to quit), is all starting to take its toll on me.

Is it really worth it?

I've been trying to lose weight for years now and I have only lost 7lbs only to gain it back again. While other people do 30 & 60 day programs and lose 5 to 40lbs ! I just am really having a hard time seeing past this, in other words, my faith is very little right now. I'm trying to pray, read my word and stay in the game, but really I'm on the brink of giving up and settling for the worse that life has to offer.

Presently, I am in workout gear (I've been trying to leave the house since I got home from work), contemplating between working out or catching up homework before (a retreat I'm attending this weekend)....
* Sorry to sound depressing but I'm just being honest...had to get this out sometime

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Its more about Proper nutrition and healthy eating 80% ---20% exercise.
  • Saksgirl1
    Options
    What if you bring one of your books to read while you're doing cardio? Even 30 minutes of cardio (while reading) is better than nothing?
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Take a brisk walk, come back and get your home work done! You will feel so much better. Turns yourself around, and make yours a success story. It takes time and hard work, but it starts to become second nature.
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    Its more about Proper nutrition and healthy eating 80% ---20% exercise.
    this, even though your bustin your butt at work/school keep some healthy snacks on hand. try using one day a week when your not so overloaded with work to make some meals, and put them in the freezer for the rest of the week.
  • nisha723
    Options
    Hey,

Dont give up continue to strive to be the best that you can be. If that means living a healthy and longer life.....DO IT!!! I know how you feel because i work M-F (730am-430pm) go to school online (3 classes at once). I manage to work out 6 times a week even if its going for a 30 min walk. Instead of driving to Walmart when I forget things I walk now, burning 200-300 calories in the process. Make some on your activites you do walking. Also, go for the parking spot away from the door so you have to walk. They also have those 10 minutre workout DVDs that u can do in that house that takes up no time. Knock one of those out before bed or something. Remember to eat healthy as well!!!

Keep prayer on your diet as well!!!

Good Luck

Kennisha
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    maybe you can drop some church activities, or lighten class loads, and be in school a little longer ?? i have wanted to give up too, especially this month, but it is better for me..i WAS easier being fat and eating whatever, whenever, but its better later on..dont give up, just make priorities..best of luck:flowerforyou:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it, you wouldn't be on here if you didn't think it was!!!

If you really don't have the time to workout stick with concentrating on what you're eating, this is really the most important aspect of weight loss.

When you're back on track with working and school then you can think about starting a workout schedule, or at least doing something whenever you can, even if it's walking to work./school.

Don't give up, clearly you aren't happy with how things are, that's not going to change. Keep trying!!!

Good luck.:smile:
  • bethmiller3377
    bethmiller3377 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First off, I think the REAL question is not "Is it worth it" but "Are YOU worth it?" So...are you? I would think that absolutely you ARE. EVERYONE lacks motivation...let's face it, people are overworked and exhausted. That is why obesity and "laziness" have swept over our country...our WORLD really...people run themselves into the ground.
    You have to start viewing "working out" as something that you DESERVE to do, not something you "have" to do or even "need" to do.
    You DESERVE more than sitting on the couch.
    There's nothing wrong with relaxing and vegging out in front of the television, but is it benefitting you? Is that helping you become who you DESERVE to be?
    Have you tried joining a gym so you can watch your shows while you work out?
    Do you own any at home equipment that you could do while you "veg out"?
    I started my "journey" last year...at an all time high of 275 pounds, in a size 22/24.
    Thanks to simply walking and changing my eating and THINKING, I am now over 125 pounds lighter and in a size 6 for the first time EVER. Well, since maybe I was 8 years old anyway. ha ;-)
    THe point is...motivation doesn't come first...MOVEMENT comes first and motivation FOLLOWS.
    make yourself get up and WALK. JUST walk for 15 min.
    I have a feeling you'll push for another 15 min. once your body tells you how good it feels to be moving again. ;-)
    DON'T give up on yourself though...I know how tired you must be, but THAT my friend, is when you PUSH. And pushing reaching goals and goals become habit and habits become your LIFE...your REAL life that consists of MUCH more than what's on the tube. ;-)
    Here if you need ANYTHING!!!
    YOU GOT THIS. Beth
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Life can be very overwhelming. You may have to choose some activities to give up, but you have to eat anyway so you might as well eat healthy. Taking a ten minute walk won't take much time ( I also use videos from 10 min solutions) but you will feel better and more capable after you do it. I've been losing weight slowly and my hubby said that 1# a week was just too slow (he's heavier and losing faster). My attitude is that there are 52 weeks in a year. Whatever you have to lose, no matter how slow you are going, time will take it away if you keep doing what you need to.
  • caddybrown
    Options
    I tied my walking shoes on 15 minutes ago. I'm still not on that treadmill. There's always something else. Sometimes nothing is stopping me, but me. Start right now. Homework later, because you'll feel better after you walk.
  • acraft83
    acraft83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also have tried everything for years. The scary part is that losing it is easy, maintaining is the hard part. I've lost 20-30lbs on WW two times in my life only to gain it back plus some. I say start small....I hate working out, but you have to find time. I walk 30-50 minutes a day. I think being outside and having things to look at helps. Some tips due to your busy schedule would be walk on your lunch break, park as far from the building as possible for class and walk to/from, and take the stairs at every opportunity. Then, on your days off from class, most people have class only 2-4 days a week, then you can dedicate less than an hour at a local park, mall, or high school track to walking. If you've not been working out at all it's going to get old quick to just jump right into hours at the gym daily.

And since you are trying to quit smoking I'm sure you want to eat more in order to keep your hands busy. I'm not a smoker, but I would say from what I've heard you better get some sugarless gum because if not you are going to be snacking a lot or smoking and neither will help your health.

Just keep your head up. We all have bad weeks, weeks where we gain, only lose a pound or so, etc, but you have to keep your eye on the prize. Good luck!
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Dont give up continue to strive to be the best that you can be. If that means living a healthy and longer life.....DO IT!!! I know how you feel because i work M-F (730am-430pm) go to school online (3 classes at once). I manage to work out 6 times a week even if its going for a 30 min walk. Instead of driving to Walmart when I forget things I walk now, burning 200-300 calories in the process. Make some on your activites you do walking. Also, go for the parking spot away from the door so you have to walk. They also have those 10 minutre workout DVDs that u can do in that house that takes up no time. Knock one of those out before bed or something. Remember to eat healthy as well!!!

Keep prayer on your diet as well!!!

Good Luck

Kennisha

Agreed!! Start with small exercises and don't feel down about having a slow weight loss. Stress makes it harder to lose weight, but exercise will help tremendously with that stress! Go for a 15 minute walk or do a 10-minute workout when you start your homework, or when you're stumped on a homework problem. It will clear your head and give you energy. The hardest part of working out is starting, and if you're in your gym clothes, you're half way there. Buy some easy to carry and fast to make healthy foods like fruits, yogurt, eggs (that you can boil at night and eat for breakfast), string cheese, cut-up veges from the grocery store. I *have* to make sure I have quick to pack healthy stuff available or otherwise I won't have time in the morning to bring it with me to work. Also, if you can take a 10-minute break at work, go for a walk. It really helps! Don't be discouraged. I have gone up and down with weight the past month b/c I've been traveling. Stick with it, and it will pay off. Good luck!!
  • Monica_1913
    Monica_1913 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with ProTFitness. Focus more on your eating at this point. I definitely know what it is to feel overwhelmed. My best advice is to pack all your meals and snacks. Most of my weight loss has come from my new eating habits. That success drove me to get in 30 minutes of working out a few days a week. You can burn a lot of calories in 30 mins. Good luck!!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was in school full time and working. There wasn't a lot of time between classes, working and studying. My saving grace was that I walked about 1.5 miles to school everyday (even in the winter), took me about 30 minutes to walk - so that's an hour of activity. It was my daily "workout" - I wasn't trying to lose weight or even thinking about my weight - but managed to maintain all through school. I also registered for a dance class every term - aka forced exercise.

Those times when you just feel like vegging infront of the T.V. - do it, but wear your work out clothes and do jumping jacks, push up, sit ups etc during the commercial breaks. You'll still get to watch your show, but you've snuck in some activity. Don't be afraid to take a 10 minute walk break during long study sessions and homework - its healthy. I think the hardest part for me was eating right. Plan ahead and bring healthy snacks and meals. I have to make my lunch/snacks before bed because I know I won't feel like making it in the morning. I just grab and go.

Also, if the schedule is new and has recently picked up, it may take you sometime to get used to it, so you could be stressing out from lack of time because of all your commitments - get used to those and THEN start focusing on the "diet" stuff.

I know life can be discouraging and its frustrating to fit everything in, just hang in there!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I vote starting with little things like parking far from the entrance, taking the stairs, gradually working out the food improvements (you can start by making food instead of buying it out)
  • swelch421
    Options
    I understand completely where you are at! I direct a preschool, am a Pastors wife and a full time nursing student! I am also a stress eater, therefore gaining weight! I started July 9th and have lost 12 pounds. I cut my calories and increased my exercise! BUT I am at a stand still! That 12 pounds was over the first 6 weeks and the scale has not budged lately! I know I have to stay with it! Losing takes time! I have found that a 10 min brisk walk or even a jog actually helped me focus better on my school work! Stick with it! Even if it is 20 minutes a day, just do something, and in time, you will see some results!!

SInce you mentioned church activities, you are obviously a believer, so you will understand this, but I have found that I do get convicted about foods that I am about to eat! If we will listen to that and NOT eat it, we will lose!! Stay with it girl!! Be blessed!
  • progresseeker2311
    Options
    Trust me, I know where you are. I was there in March. One day, I woke up and said no more! I gained 80 lbs having both of my children 20 months apart and hadn't felt like myself since. You have to make it a priority just like work, school, church, etc. I have two toddlers and I attend school full time, so a strategic schedule is mandatory! Now let me tell you, I started with something I never thought I could do so that I would stay motivated. I started distance running. I was 273lbs in March and was tackling 3 mile jog/walks in the beginning. I set realistic goals for myself and found various online support forums such as active.com which has great communities with people that are in the same boat and will keep you motivated (they told me about this site).

What you're feeling is ALL mental. Here I am, it's September and I am tackling my last two pounds this week to hit the 20 lb lost mark. But, although I started in March, I didn't lose ANY weight until I joined MFP. It is REALLY easy to overeat without knowing. I was discouraged because I was working very hard and hadn't lost a single pound, but I seriously had to become conscious of what I eat. I count everything I eat, even the small bites because they add up too. I don't starve myself, and I'm not on a diet, I just control my portions and eat everything in moderation. I actually eat more now than I did before, so I am never hungry. I joined MFP 3 months ago and lost 18lbs in 3 months. For me, who felt like you are feeling right now, that is a HUGE deal.

I used to have to force my workouts in, but now it is like clockwork, can't go in the morning, go in the afternoon, can't go then, go in the evening, can't go then, make sure you get it in before bed. Be creative! Pilates, jogging, powerwalking, strength training, yoga, spinning, kickboxing, xbox 360 (kinect), zumba, karate, biking...and so on and so fourth. If you want to lose the weight, you really have to find ways to keep yourself motivated. If you miss a workout, don't trip, just figure out how to make up for it. It's up to you girl! you just have to change that mindset and make it mandatory! don't buy the donuts and make the salad taste better. And fill up on no less that 8 cups of water per day, that also makes a huge difference. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Indymom45
    Options
    I have the same problem,i have to watch calories and carbs,when i eat mainly lean meat and vegtables i can loose. If you are insulin resistant even too much fruit thats low in calories but high in sugar can stall weight loss,i would read south beach diet book in order to understand how sugar effects some people, not all people struggle with sugar but if you're like me and carry your weight in the middle section it can sometimes indicate that our bodies aren't processing the sugar correctly.I'm not a diabetic but my doctor tells me I will be it's just a matter of when it will happen if I don't get my weight under control.The main advice i can give you is NOT TO GIVE UP,ITS NOT EASY BUT DO NOT GIVE UP.
  • New_Bloom
    New_Bloom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for all your comments and advice. Really. This is why sites like these are important and it's caring people who make it successful, so really, I appreciate everything that has been said. I'm still down in the dumps, but the truth is pushing through it, like you've all have mentioned.

* I guess could only move forward

thank you!:smile: