Steps!!!!! ( hand on forehead)

Options
jcheerie
jcheerie Posts: 6 Member
edited April 4 in Fitness and Exercise
The whole deal with the tracking devices is really getting to me because how can you track steps on the phone all day or most of the day??? Some people don’t have their phone on them so I don’t get that aspect. Also I have my own tracking watch why do I need to purchase a new one??? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    edited March 8
    Options
    You don't need ANY tracking device.

I lost 80 pounds just using the FOOD diary, a body-weight scale and a cookbook. Exercise I just used the entries in the "Exercise" database here. You don't need a body-worn tracking device or even a phone. I lost my weight in 2007-08, and I didn't get a smart phone until 2015.

I did buy a digital food scale when I had about 20 pounds left to lose - because the numbers were more important to me then, but I'd say the food and portion sizes are more important than an exercise tracking device.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited March 8
    Options
    I've never owned a tracking watch. I don't carry my phone when exercising. I've lost almost 90 pounds. About 10 pounds to go. No plans to buy a watch or start carrying a phone.
    I did have a $10 walmart pedometer when I was recovering from fibromyalgia. Very helpful. Wasn't trying to lose weight at that time.
    Why are you tracking steps? Can you just make a note in your diary listing steps?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    jcheerie wrote: »
    The whole deal with the tracking devices is really getting to me because how can you track steps on the phone all day or most of the day??? Some people don’t have their phone on them so I don’t get that aspect. Also I have my own tracking watch why do I need to purchase a new one??? 🤦🏻‍♀️

well one could argue "i have a phone and it is in my pocket all day so why do I need a tracking watch?"'

But of course watches suit some people better than phones and vice versa and some people don't use either watches or phones for tracking purposes and some people might use both for various reasons

Purely personal preference - and to some extent affordability.

• Kidb00
    Kidb00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked steps with any device but I was just thinking about buying a sports watch. Although it is not mandatory, I understand its appeal in the sense that it makes exercising more interesting and fun. People like to track their own progress in running speed and stuff like that. It makes exercise much more more like a game. But I understand that extra devices can be annoying for some. Everyone is different.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,132 Member
    Options
    I personally agree that tracking steps on a phone isn't ideal. I used to do that at the start of my journey and I found myself halfway to another room and then circling back to get my phone before going where I wanted to go 🙄
    So I got a fitness tracker.

Why would you need to buy another fitness tracker if you already have one? Because the current one doesn't sync with MFP? You could use the current one just to get an idea of how active you are in daily life and then track exercise manually.

Any method can work if used consistently and if adjustments are made based on real life results. With or without tracker, with or without synced tracker and even with or without tracking intake!
    (But for me tracking intake and using a synced tracker is what I prefer)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    jcheerie wrote: »

Guess I'm confused, then. If you have a watch that tracks steps already, where are you seeing that you "need" to purchase a new one? Unless you mean the one you have doesn't sync with MFP, but I'm not entirely sure. Either way, as everyone else has stated, tracking steps isn't necessary for weight loss.
  • kathrynrussell2
    kathrynrussell2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My thing with step counters is they are counting your arm movement. I move my arms way more than I move my legs lol! I miss the old school counters that attached to a belt loop----way more accurate IMO.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    My thing with step counters is they are counting your arm movement. I move my arms way more than I move my legs lol! I miss the old school counters that attached to a belt loop----way more accurate IMO.

I wear my Fitbit on a waistband clip when I want to wear a dressy watch. Step counts are pretty consistent when I do. Unless I do something crazy big with my arms like washing windows or lifting boxes over my head. That always throws things off. But day-to-day I’ve been surprised at how little arm motions seem to affect the step count.