Help, chocolate is controlling my life!

Options
I feel like I am committing suicide, one piece of chocolate at a time. I have had two great weeks using this website and then I feel like I am sabatoging myself, just when I am being successful. I know I am not eating this because I am hungry. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get over this speed bump? I don't want the speed bump to turn into a wall.:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• dlarson
    dlarson Posts: 20
    Options
    I feel like I am committing suicide, one piece of chocolate at a time. I have had two great weeks using this website and then I feel like I am sabatoging myself, just when I am being successful. I know I am not eating this because I am hungry. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get over this speed bump? I don't want the speed bump to turn into a wall.:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options

What kind of chocolate are you eating, and how much and how often?

To get a good chocolate fix, you could buy yourself some Skinny Cow fudge bars. Just 100 cals (or are those ones 150? Still, good either way) and delicious!

If you prefer your chocolate in Bar form :laugh: you can always go buy some Snickers fun size bags and put them in the freezer. Allow yourself to have *one*, and it will take longer to eat because it's frozen. Also, it has nuts in it, so it's slightly healthier than some of the other chocolate bars.

You can get yourself some sugarfree 5 calorie gum. (I like "5" gum.) It's not chocolate, but if you get cinnamon flavored, it's sweet, and keeps you chewing, so you feel more satisfied than having nothing.

You could also have someone else in the house hide the chocolates and give you one a day when you ask for it. :smile: Dark chocolate is a lot better for you than other chocolates, too. No reason you can't have one chocolate a day! Just allow for it in your cals.

These are just a few suggestions... I'm sure more people will be around soon with more suggestions. :smile:
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Its like the alcoholic thing - one day at a time. Sometimes there are just foods you need. If you think you can handle it, allow yourself a treat. Planning it in at the beginning of the day works well. I've heard many many people on here say they plan dessert into their day first and work around it the rest of the day - so they never feel like they're not getting the things they love. Also find a new outlet for rewards. For me its shopping - my poor wallet. :laugh:
  • gperry227
    gperry227 Posts: 93
    Options
    I had three (3), yes, i said three Betty Crocker chocolate molten cakes (they were minis). Still, that was 450 calories worth of chocolate. I stayed within my calories, fat, carbs...I just worked a little harder on the treadmill.
    I wanted them. I ate them. Today is another day. I will aim for just one today and see what happens.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy the chocolate so it isn't in the house.

That being said, I had a huge chocolate craving a month ago. I made hot chocolate, had a couple of sips and dumped it out. Once I had the taste, I was good
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I know about the chocolate thing because I have and will be going through that for the rest of my life. But for example lastnight I had 8 pieces of a hersheys chocolate bar because my calories allowed it. My son is selling the dang things so I have to help support I guess. :tongue: Just one day at a time and the fudge cycle thing really does work. Also, try chocolate pudding. Hope this all helps in your of a new lifestyle change.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Easy, don't buy it so if you don't have it in the house, you won't be tempted to eat it. In the grocery store, don't go down the chocolate aisle. I doubt there is anything in the aisle that you would need otherwise, so out of sight, out of mind.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Jello Fat Free Chocolate pudding kicks any chocolate cravings I have. Maybe you could try the low cal swiss miss i've heard it's really good.

Everything in moderation. take one day at a time!
  • NoExcuses
    NoExcuses Posts: 11
    Options
    The fat free low calorie chocolate pudding snacks are great and pre-measured cups help people like me (who would be inclined to eat the entire bowl if I made it myself). Also, a small squirt of whipped topping really feels like an indulgence and only adds minimal calories (.....small squirt!). Also, I find that if I save my treat for the end of the day it's easier for me to stay on track and gives me something to look forward too. Good luck! :happy:
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    I love chocolate too. I buy a hershey's dark chocolate bar, break it up into pieces, then freeze the pieces. Whenever I need a chocolate fix I eat a frozen piece. Ohh and by freezing them it last longer and is more satisfying :wink:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate lover, too! I use the Jello Fat Free Chocolate Pudding to help with cravings and I also have a bag of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses. One kiss usually does it for me. By the time I unwrap it & let it melt in my mouth, I'm happy!

Also, make sure you're taking your vitamins. I've heard that magnesium helps with the chocolate cravings.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate too. I buy a hershey's dark chocolate bar, break it up into pieces, then freeze the pieces. Whenever I need a chocolate fix I eat a frozen piece. Ohh and by freezing them it last longer and is more satisfying :wink:
    Great advice. That's better for me than just not buying chocolate. When I have an unsatisfied craving, I just do more damage elsewhere. Besides, I think a tiny piece of dark chocolate has some redeeming qualities health-wise.
  • dlarson
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the support. It's a new day and I am hopeful for a better one than yesterday. It is good to not feel alone in this effort. I think I am not quite strong enough to even have chocolate in the house. It's too early yet. I've allowed myself to be controlled by food for too long instead of me being in control. I just have to remember that every day is another chance to start over. I am so thankful for the people who put this website together and made it possible to have the support I need. I can't believe it's offered for free. I wish all of you the best on your journeys as well.
    :smile: :heart: :smile: :heart: :smile: :heart: :smile: :heart:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, don't buy it, don't have it in the house, doesn't matter if it's heart healthy dark chocolate if you can't control it...JUST SAY NO! You can do it, find a substitute, chew gum, get a manicure, make whoopy :blushing: , lol do anything that'll take your mind off it, until you have gained control over the chocolate thing, chances are, once you've weaned yourself off it, you won't even miss it.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    chocolate-1.jpg

Just say no-- :wink:
  • ilovepink
    Options
    9 little hershey's kisses take about 2 miles of running to burn off.

Isn't that motivation enough?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :devil: :devil:
    One thing I learned about myself is that I can eat no chocolate at all or I can eat chocolate until I pass out but I cannot eat chocolate in moderation.

I have to say no, one day at a time.:brokenheart:
  • dlarson
    Options
    LOVED the sayings. I am going to write them up and put them on my mirror. I don't want to add an additional two miles to my workouts. I have nine kids and not a lot of time. I guess I don't have time to eat chocolate if I want to counter the effects. For now, the rule is to be NO CHOCOLATE IN THE HOUSE. That's okay though because I ate all that was there already. I just won't buy any more. Thanks everybody!:happy:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    MOTHERS OF NINE CHILDREN UNITE--

We can rule the world-- :laugh:
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    Try the '3 bite rule'

You can satisfy your desire for the taste with 3 bites of whatever it is you want. After 3 bites, you are no longer really tasting it anyway.

I used to cut myself a piece of cake or brownie, then eat the whole piece. I did much better when I chose to eat directly from the pan, but limit myself to 3 bites. Sometimes I took all 3 bites in one sitting, sometimes I portioned out the bites over the whole day. When I did that I felt like I was eating treats all day long, but it was only 3 bites!

It is counter-intuitive to what is usually recommended, but since I am a member of the 'clean plate club', I do better if I don't feel like I will be wasting anything if I don't eat it.

I do the same thing with Doritos. I just make sure that I don't sit down with it- or it WILL all be gone- the clean plate thing!

If creamy chocolate is your thing, though, I recommend 3 Hershey's kisses. Not too bad for the weight and it will satisfy the craving.