Eating after 8pm

Options
I know that it's supposed really bad for your metabolism to eat after 8pm but my question is fairly simple.

I work nights, I rarely wake up before 1pm and I don't get home until 10.30-11.30pm meaning I don't really get to bed until 4am at the earliest, so would it work differently seeing as I'm up at different times?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's fine to eat at any time of day or night.
  • JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would think that it is okay since you work that kind of schedule.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. You can eat before 8pm or at midnight and then go to bed right afterwards. It matters not.
  • LuneBleu85
    Options
    I don't really agree with that or abide by that rule. I work 5pm-1am quite often and I keep eating to stay awake! My mfp food "day" in my diary ends when I go to bed. It seems to be working for me as I have lost weight and am just toning up now :)
    Best wishes :)
  • jenfactor
    Options
    I would just try to stop eating 2 hours before you go to bed (so 2am), and see if you can make it longer than that. I think in my skinniest days, I was not eating 4 hours before bed. Good luck!
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I work mids, I eat dinner at 8pm, breakfast around 2:30. I usually don't eat before bed, then eat again when I get up at 3:30pm. On my off days I have eaten after 8pm, and have not noticed any difference. There was a thread on here where people stated it had no effect eating after 8pm. Good luck on reaching your goal. I personally think if you eat healthy and good portion sizes you will be fine.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Yes, totally..because you go to bed at 4am...your hours are totally different..just eat according to your body's needs..you should do fine..my hubby works nights as well..and he is constantly trying to eat our schedule as well..doesn't work well for him..
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant for all intents and purposes.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There really isn't any reason that you can't eat when you get home.
  • prettytoxic
    prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys =]
    Puts my mind at ease cause I usually feel kinda crappy having to eat so late.
  • cronus404
    Options
    It doesnt really matter when you eat. Your body is going to burn the same amount of calories per day no matter when you eat. If you burn 2000 calories per day and you only consume 1500 calories per day you are going to lose weight regardless of whether you eat those calories at 10am or 10pm. The whole dont eat at night myth is more in regards to digestion than metabolism. Your more likely to wake up in the middle of the night too if you have a heavy late night meal. Weight loss wise though your fine just watch the calories
  • aurorasangel2000
    Options
    Definitely agree with the timing not making much difference. The only thing I've seen that doctors say is around an hour or two before going to bed, and even then, it may not make much difference. Maybe just not eating some huge meal before you sleep, but, other than that. I've eaten before going to bed, maybe a snack or so, and I'm still losing :-) And I know what you mean, my sleeping schedule is crazy too, lol.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Time doesn't matter one bit.

The 8pm rule is silly because 1. your body can't tell time. 2. Everyone goes to sleep at different times, sleeps for different lengths of time and wakes up at different times. There's nothing magical about 8pm.

You could eat 2 minutes before bed and it wouldn't matter. I, personally, would feel STARVING when I woke up (I always do when I eat late...it's weird) so that's why *I* wouldn't do it. But really, don't worry at all about eating at special times. Just hit your goals with a 24-hour window and you're golden. :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think the misconception comes in when people eat their 3, 4, or 5 meals a day....then eat MORE at night.

They attribute the time to weight gain and it being the reason......not the fact that they ate a normal days worth of food...then are eating MORE.

Just be aware of your intake for the day. If you ate half your food before work, go nuts and eat the other half after.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't see the congruence between feeding time and metabolism. How much I eat and what I decide to do with that intake pretty much dictates the drive for my metabolism. If I wanted to slow it down, I'd do nothing and increase my calorie intake. If I want to increase it, I'd move or lift more, then increase my calorie intake to compensate for the burn. And I could choose to do this at 3AM if I wanted.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. You can eat before 8pm or at midnight and then go to bed right afterwards. It matters not.

Said like a true Spartan.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Generally, people who stick to a "regular" schedule find themselves mindlessly munching in the evenings, after dinner, as they relax and watch TV or do whatever it is they do. It's not the particular time of day - it's just the routine. If you have a very different routine, don't worry about the "after 8 pm" rule. But if you come home from work at 11pm and stay up till 4 am playing on the net and eating chips, you may want to limit yourself to not eating a few hours before you go to sleep.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I work a 12 hour night shift; 6 p.m. until 6 a.m., so I eat supper with my family which I count as lunch then 3 to 4 hours later I eat supper with small snack between them and a small snack or protein bar after midnight. I eat breakfast when I get home and go to bed approx. 1 to 2 hours later. When I get up, I work out and start all over. I've lost 15lbs in the last 6 weeks plus with another 15 to 20lbs to go. Good luck.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    yeah. it's nt gonna make a difference.. my pictures are proof
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I tend to get stomach trouble if I try to eat a large meal and then go directly to bed, but that's really the only downside. And that's more of a physiological problem (that may or may not affect anyone else) more than a metabolic issue.