How do I fix my sleep

Options
I am struggling with sleeping I keep waking up 4am and cannot go back to sleep

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Is it that your mind starts spinning and that keeps you awake? A psychologist I saw at my employer-sponsored counseling program told me that short-course cognitive behavioral therapy can be helpful for that type of insomnia. (Unfortunately, that's not the kind of insomnia I have. For the type I have, sleep interruption insomnia, hypnotherapy was the most effective intervention I've tried, though it hasn't been a total solution.)
  • mikeyrowlands
    mikeyrowlands Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've struggled for years to sleep properly, I discovered this year, silicone earplugs and a bluetooth sleep mask. Coupled with an 8 hour white noise track (mine is a waterfall), I have never slept better, as soon as I put it on these days, I'm away and my watch alarm wakes me up the next Morning.

Can be disorientating as you can't see the light etc but you get used to it really quickly.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    I'm a strong proponent of white noise. Mine sits in the window sill. Between me and my neighbor, between me and the neighborhood dogs, between me and the birds, between me and any traffic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Go workout! Lol, I get to the gym at 4:30am everyday, workout then work in the gym till 11am, go home eat lunch, take a nap then come back at 3pm-7pm to finish my shift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kbrown1527
    kbrown1527 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For some people cortisol surges in the middle of the night causing them to wake and have difficulty falling back to sleep. It usually happens consistently around the same time every night. This is something I personally was struggling with, and my dr recommended I try to supplement with magnesium (just OTC) about a half hour before bedtime. Within 2-3nights my sleep improved drastically! Maybe something to look into. Good luck!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I use cannabis for sleep...

• frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use a Bluetooth headphone headband with a playlist of podcasts that are interesting enough to keep me from following my own thought (worry) paths but boring enough for me to fall asleep to.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Don’t go to bed too early, don’t drink alcohol. Use white noise or some light, soothing ocean sounds played through an audio player. When you wake up, keep your mind turned off with a repeated 1 word mantra. Don’t start thinking about things.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Sleeping well is more complicated thanany would think and it can be different for everyone. If you are not already using a fitness tracker that also tracks your sleep and the quality of your sleep I would suggest starting there.

I was struggling to feel rested and getting enough sleep so I started wearing my fitbit around the clock to track my sleep and quality. That was how I was able to determine which factors contributed to a good night's sleep and which ones didn't. Only through researching your own habits and comparing your own results will you know what helps and what doesn't.

Here are some things you can try, but again, you won't know what helps and what doesn't if you don't have feedback regarding your sleep habits.

Sometimes you need something that helps put you into a good pattern of sleep like going to bed at the same time each night, having a regular bedtime ritual, and staying away from screens for 90 minutes prior to sleeping. If you are not getting sleepy at the same time every night you can try a supplement to help you to establish a routine bedtime like Midnite.

For some, CBD oil and cannabis can help a person fall asleep. For me CBD oil did the opposite and kept me awake.

I used to have a glass of wine every night and it helped me to fall asleep, but I noticed that my sleep quality suffered on my tracking app. It would also cause me to wake more often throughout the night.

At this stage of my life I've noticed that I just go to bed earlier and rise earlier. I typically sleep at 8:30 and rise at 4. That is a pretty good night's sleep for me. If you are young and need to reestablish a bed time so that you sleep past 4 AM, consistent bedtimes with consistent bedtime rituals will help to make that happen but it does take some time for these habits to form.
  • Jknip9484
    Jknip9484 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I personally began with insomnia after menopause. It’s been a struggle for few years now. I would wake up numerous times in the night starting at 3:00am. I find when I get sleepy I go to bed. If I fight to stay awake and pass the “window” I won’t be sleeping that night. Reading a paperback before bedtime for 15-20 min gets me sleepy and puts me out. But depending on what time you go to sleep, your body may have had enough by 4am and ready for the day.
  • artsrule
    artsrule Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've never been a good sleeper, so I know the feeling. Listening to calming music 🎶 or meditations can be helpful! Supplements such as calcium, magnesium, & melatonin can help with sleep 💤 too. Of course, check with your doctor before trying any natural remedy.