Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is fasting lunch instead of breakfast, a good idea?

Options
stegeem
stegeem Posts: 142 Member
Because I have to take pills with breakfast and dinner and sometimes I'm away from the house in the middle of the day, so maybe it'd be easier?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    This comes under "whatever works for you"
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd probably forget about fasting..unless I were simply not hungry from breakfast to dinner. A salad or light sandwich would probably be healthier than skipping lunch, I'd guess.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited April 8
    Options
    With that choice I would definitely skip the lunch time, so your good to go imo. There's no storage back up reserve for protein and considering we've been sleeping for a few hours, up to 8 or 10 then skipping breakfast and eating basically 12 or so hours between meals and if we not only want to maximize muscle protein synthesis, we also need protein in a reasonable timeframe to ensure all the other metabolic processes where protein is required which are many, then not having a decent amount of protein from our diet ready for absorption the body will just take it from muscle, bone and other areas. And in that regard getting protrein at lunch time in say a protein shake would be ideal, basically what I'm saying is 3 meals is better than 2 in this contxt. Not only that, we need leucine to be that driver, so that is also important. I've recently changed my mind on meal timing and getting enough protein, spread properly throughout the day is imperative for not only to protect our muscle mass, bone etc. it's even more crucial as we age. imo
  • threefallingstars
    threefallingstars Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the BodyFast app? It’s specifically designed for intermittent fasting and has many different sequencing methods for getting the most out of intermittent fasting on your schedule.
  • eagleproperties93
    eagleproperties93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it may help if you are trying to control your diet by having smaller eating windows but from the research I have done on intermittent fasting you need a minimum no eat window of 12 hours to benefit from intermittent fasting. I actually focus solely on my fast window so the earlier I am done eating at night the sooner I can eat the following day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    To benifit from intermittent fasting??

If the desired benifit is weight loss, then it doesn't have to be 12 hours,it can be whatever time suits you.

I wouldn't really consider 12 hours to be IF though - eating nothing after dinner at 7 until breakfast next morning,for example,just seems many people's regular eating style.