Side effects of additives

Options
Leo_King84
Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
When I was 13 I had braces and I ended up grinding my teeth and breaking them off. The orthodontist ended up taking them off and my teeth never got straightened.

After getting braces off the grinding habit remained and it's really plagued me all my life. I've labelled it as a nervous habit as no matter how hard I try not to clench or grind I always got this overpowering urge to do it, to which I'd give in.

I recently started on a Carnivore diet, I'm 2 weeks in now and I've found the urge to grind and clench has disappeared completely. I go days now without doing it. What I did find interesting was the other night I decided to treat myself to a glass of pepsi max as I've stuck to my diet... the whole urge to grind and clench came flooding back after a small glass of pepsi max. It lasted a few hours then went again.

Theres clearly something with pepsi max that triggers this reaction in me.

Imagine putting something like that in yourself for over 20 years and not actually knowing what its really doing to you.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I guess if pepsi max has that effect on you, don't drink it

I drink it sometimes and it has no ill effects on me - I am no different on days I drink it or days I don't drink it
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Is it the additives, or the caffeine?

This was my thought.
  • Leo_King84
    Options
    @lietchi @sollyn23l2 I'm not sure. Maybe I'll have a cup of coffee so I can narrow it down.

Either way, I'm glad I have much less additives in my diet now.
  • Leo_King84
    Options
    Well just had a strong cup of coffee and no urges to grind teeth.

2 teaspoons of coffee, 2 teaspoons of sugar and a splash of lactose free milk. Guess its the additives that I'm sensitive too.
  • Leo_King84
    Options
    @Fit_Chef_NE I get what you're saying but it wasn't like I thought to myself, I'm going to do this diet and it will cure my Bruxism. The thought never even crossed my mind. I started the diet for other reasons. I was just sitting there one day and was like, hold on I've not clenched my jaw in a while. Again, with the pepsi max I didn't drink it to see if it'd trigger anything, I felt I'd been doing well and was craving something a little sweet. Just so happened that it did trigger bruxism.

I agree there's no real studies done to show any pros and cons, but there's also been no studies to show long term consumption can lead to problems.

It has been proven by keto diet though that out of the 3 macro nutrients we can live without carbohydrates, you can't live without fat or protein.

I agree,
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    More likely a placebo effect like most anecdotal evidence. Your experiment with coffee is flawed by your own personal bias and disproved by the experiences of other people. I mean, if you think it works, go for it. I just think the tooth grinding isn't going to stop that easily. The carnivore diet itself is filled with a bunch of woo and poorly sourced information. It is lacking in fiber, which is linked with longevity and health. Short term, people may see benefits from the carnivore diet, but in the long term, it is linked with an increase in heart disease. If you feel a lot better, it may be a sign that you have some sort of blood sugar issue. The grinding could even be linked to that. Diabetes has been linked to oral health issues in reputable studies.

I have yet to see anything but epidemiological studies that point to eating meat increasing the risk of heart disease, especially when one puts that meat eating into a way of eating that is marked by nutritional ketosis which is a different metabolic functioning from a glucose based metabolism. All the studies I see are of people eating a lot of meat in the overall setting of the general diet of the developed world which adds in so many confounding factors so as to be useless. This is not to mention that epidemiological studies at best can only give correlation and be used to put together double blind studies. I am also curious what this short term duration is and how long one need to eat a certain way before it becomes a long term example? There are people who have been eating carnivore for long time periods, so what do you consider the cut off.

As for the improvement of the teeth grinding, as long as the original poster is not claiming it will solve it for anyone else, that it has went away, whether from specifically eating carnivore or simply moving away from a highly processed diet is a good thing. If it comes back from the Pepsi, there could be a bunch of potential things that could cause it, but again, getting on them because in their n=1 situation is happened as if this is some peer review process is silly.

Lastly, I hope you put this much skepticism toward vegan diets. They has issues as well, and it seems they get the pass because veggies equal healthy.
  • marydecicco
    marydecicco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I routinely see tooth grinding (bruxism) and tooth clenching linked to airway - sleep apnea issues. Do not ignore cause there are direct health consequences. May be worse when sleeping in your back. Concerned dentist
  • Leo_King84
    Options
    @marydecicco Whenever I mentioned it to my dentist they just offered me a mouth guard to use when I sleep. When I told them it wasn't a sleep thing, that I do it during the day, they had no suggestions.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    More likely a placebo effect like most anecdotal evidence. Your experiment with coffee is flawed by your own personal bias and disproved by the experiences of other people. I mean, if you think it works, go for it. I just think the tooth grinding isn't going to stop that easily. The carnivore diet itself is filled with a bunch of woo and poorly sourced information. It is lacking in fiber, which is linked with longevity and health. Short term, people may see benefits from the carnivore diet, but in the long term, it is linked with an increase in heart disease. If you feel a lot better, it may be a sign that you have some sort of blood sugar issue. The grinding could even be linked to that. Diabetes has been linked to oral health issues in reputable studies.

This whole post is woofully lacking in nutritional knowledge and full of contradictions. :)
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Leo_King84 wrote: »
    When I was 13 I had braces and I ended up grinding my teeth and breaking them off. The orthodontist ended up taking them off and my teeth never got straightened.

After getting braces off the grinding habit remained and it's really plagued me all my life. I've labelled it as a nervous habit as no matter how hard I try not to clench or grind I always got this overpowering urge to do it, to which I'd give in.

I recently started on a Carnivore diet, I'm 2 weeks in now and I've found the urge to grind and clench has disappeared completely. I go days now without doing it. What I did find interesting was the other night I decided to treat myself to a glass of pepsi max as I've stuck to my diet... the whole urge to grind and clench came flooding back after a small glass of pepsi max. It lasted a few hours then went again.

Theres clearly something with pepsi max that triggers this reaction in me.

Imagine putting something like that in yourself for over 20 years and not actually knowing what its really doing to you.

I just went down the rabbit hole on the internet.. It was interesting to see so many articles on the influence of diet on bruxism - including aspartame. (Diet Coke)

Seems many people are hypothesizing a link between the 2. Johns Hopkins has been doing a study regarding the role of diet, Bruxism and neurotransmitters.

A few interesting NIH and PubMed clinical studies on aspartame and neurophysiological symptoms in certain subsets of the population:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28198207/

• Leo_King84
    edited April 9
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC

Oh nice, good find. Checked the ingredients on my pepsi max, does indeed contain aspartame.

• paperpudding
    Options
    yes pepsi max contains aspartame.

I thought that was common knowledge.

For most people that isnt a problem though
  • Leo_King84
    Options

I thought that was common knowledge.

Guess I'm not common.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Ok. I guess everyone didn't know that.

Which artificial sweetener did you think was used in Pepsi Max ?
  • Leo_King84
    Options
    @paperpudding I had never given it any thought tbh and even if I had I couldn't name any of these artificial sweeteners.