How do you deal with temptations?

Options
Hey guys, so I have a question for yall! Are you able to eat the foods you love (or should I say, the foods that aren't so good for you) in moderation, or do you find it easier to just avoid those foods altogether? For me personally, if I even TASTE something that my husband eats, the whole day I'm thinking about it! I find it easier to just avoid it. If you are able to eat in moderation, do you have any tips on how to control your temptations? I'm anxious to hear what everyone has to say. That is my biggest problem :)

Replies

• kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    aack, i need a miracle with this one :)

sometimes I just leave the house...go for a walk/bikeride.
    or pop a candy or gum in my mouth
    or suck on an icecube or a homemade frozen yogurt popsicle

but i do and probably will always struggle with temptation
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i try to avoid some, and moderate some..like pickles and green olives..i LOVE the saltiness of them, and if i could now ( like when i was a kid ) i could eat a whole jar in a day..now, the smell makes me crave, so i just rather avoid..
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    sometimes i give in. a little giving in can help you not deprive yourself
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    During the week I make sure that everything I put in my mouth tastes GOOD. I don't eat any diet foods (except for 1% milk). I eat 4% cottage cheese, 2% greek yogurt (heaven) - sometimes even full fat, cook meat and veggies in coconut oil, whole eggs (not just the whites). I find I'm much more satisfied that way, and it's nice to enjoy the food you eat.

I'm a runner and on the weekends I do a long run (8 - 13 miles) and I have discovered that simple carbs right after my run actually help me recover faster - so I always treat myself after my runs. Last week I had a big bowl of ice cream. This week I'm doing 13 miles and going to brunch with a friend - I've already decided to order chocolate chip banana pancakes and I'm super excited about that :)

There are some things I have to watch out for - I don't think I could ever keep trail mix in the house, and I've had to limit ice cream to one day on the weekend (but I do have it cause I love it). Depriving yourself never works long term, but learning to love wholesome healthy food is a wonderful thing, and then when you do splurge (within reason making it fit into your calories), it is that much of a treat because you don't have it all the time. Good luck :)
  • sasp1385
    sasp1385 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge believer that deprivation is bad for the soul! That's why I would never tell anyone I was on a diet hahaha
    I always say "thanks anyway, but I don't feel like that right now, maybe later" that way my brain is not being told I can't have it. Hence, no rebellion by my mind and no little voice saying to me "Oh go on, in fact if you're breaking your DIET you may as well have 10 and start tomorrow!"
    Also I always have a stash of "junk" food in my pantry. If everyone is eating chips and I really want some, I will go and get my flavoured rice crackers and have some. It's all about tricking the mind and not missing out on anything.
    Always ask yourself "Do I really want this now or should I have some tomorrow when I feel I've earned it"
    Good luck x
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I just have a little.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have two very large containers of ice-cold water in the fridge... and they save me from wanting to indulge.....
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Most of my temptations I can indulge in without binging. I eat pizza (my fetish) once a week--two slices max (compared to eating the whole thing and 2+ Cokes). What keeps me focused is remembering what I looked like back in the day when I couldn't keep control. That's enough incentive to keep me in line.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me that certain things don't tempt me anymore. Store bought cookies (except my fav Nutter Butters which I don't buy anymore) and certain chips and such don't even sound good. There are some excellent bakers in my office who will occasionally treat us to a homemade goodie... those are the ones I can't say no to. And I don't! I work it in. Have a small piece of pie, or one cookie instead of four, but I allow myself those delicacies because if I don't I get really crabby. I had a donut the other day because I REALLY wanted it... and I didn't feel guilty! Then on another day my friend brought in some pumpkin cake roll thingy and I thanked her, because I don't care for pumpkin so I wasn't too tempted for that one.

It's all what works for you. The cookies at Subway still call to me, but so far I've said no more often than not. I can bypass the chips for an apple pretty easily now. One day at a time is basically how I handle things. Also I eat my exercise calories, so if I'm really craving something, I earn it first!!! I know that may seem wrong to some people, but that's what's worked for me getting 50 pounds off, so I'm happy.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I find if I deprive myself, then I am just bound to binge...

So far, the approach that has been working is saving the "treat" (and believe me, I have one daily) for the end of the day. It is nice to sit down and savour some chocolate AFTER I know I've eaten well, stayed within my calorie range, gotten some exercise, etc. Knowing I'll get to have some chocolate at the end of the day helps me avoid eating things that are bad for me and that I wouldn't even enjoy that much anyway. For example, I'll avoid the coca-cola that my husband brings home, because I know I'll be more satisfied with a bit of chocolate later in the day.

For me, it works better to work "with" my cravings and use them as a motivator, rather than work against them. That said, everyone is different -hope you find a rhythm that works for you (and still allows you to enjoy the foods you love!)

I hope this helps.
  • gladjar
    Options
    I tend to try to focus on something different. If I REALLY want the item, I just eat it, but in a sizeable portion. I feel good that I eat it because I know I don't do it often and I'm not depriving myself from this lifetime change.

I'm trying to be really good this week so I can eat this amazing pasta dish at this little pizzeria. :D
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I just have what i want, when i want it, but the "mini me" version.

I fancy a mars bar? Sure! *Grabs a fun size mars bar, 80 cals*. Craving gone!

I'll be the first to admit my eating habits aren't healthy.

Just a damn sight healthier than they were before, and this way it's totally sustainable, and why losing this weight SO FAR has been a breeze!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    " I can resist everything except temptation." - oscar wilde.