I’m new to MyFitnessPal.

Options
My doctor told me I have a fatty liver
. I would like to lose about 14 pounds. I am trying to eat low fat. This is not very easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It gets easier with practice.

14 pounds is very doable. Although you may have to adjust some habits.

What is your typical meal plan like?
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 236 Member
    edited April 8
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed on 2/1/24.

I have found this guide to be very helpful:
    https://www.bcm.edu/sites/default/files/a-guide-to-what-and-how-to-eat-non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease.pdf

Some recommendations I found helpful:
    - a Facebook group called, "Life with NASH: An American Liver Foundation Support Group" that is super helpful.
    - If you like podcasts, I'd also recommend "LiverHealthPod".
    - Book from one of the doctors who runs the podcast: "Liver Better Life" by Doctor Paul Gow.

I think my diary is open if you want to see what I've been eating. I have completely changed my diet, which you would also be able to see by looking at my diary. I'm a very picky eater, so you won't see a ton of variety.

I can tell you that I used to be ravenous - I had lost 70 pounds back in 2010 and kept it off for several years. Then it all came back on. I'd been really struggling to lose anymore and had kind of given up. After I got this diagnosis, it scared the beejesus out of me because my mom passed from Non-Alcohol Related Cirrhosis at age 61. I completely changed my eating and I've just hit 22 pounds lost this weekend. My cravings have completely stopped. I think it's likely because my blood sugar is more even and I'm eating more filling foods.

The highlights for me:
    - Way less red meat. I was eating a lot of red meat. Now, I'm eating it twice a month.
    - Way less sweets. I was also eating a ton. Now, I'm allowing a very small serving twice a week (example 1/2 cup of ice cream).
    - Trying to add coffee. I don't like Coffee, but black coffee is good for my liver.
    - Added lots of veggies. The guide has a lot of info on the best ones.
    - Reducing carbs. I don't eat white grains anymore, and I cap my whole grains to 3-4 a day (the guide mentions this).
    - No butter. Man, I used to butter everything. It's been easier to adjust than I expected. You can use Olive Oil instead and that's great for your liver.
    - No fried food or fast food.
    - No more diet or regular soda. This one made me sad, but it was necessary and I don't miss it as much as I expected to.

Some of the foods I've added have suprised me - steel cuts oats are a new addition and I really like them. They make breakfast easy and keep me full. Also, greek yogurt. That one is still tart, but I prefer the Fage brand and it's been easy to adapt.

I wish you the best of luck! We're lucky in that it's still reversible. I know it's a crazy hard transition, but I think you'll be suprised at how little you crave stuff after you start in earnest. I sure was. Small changes add up.
  • Christi6604
    Options
    Also, it might be a good idea to have an appointment with a registered dietician. I found it super helpful years ago.
  • BarbaraInSarnia
    BarbaraInSarnia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too was diagnosed with a fatty liver. Pre-diabetic as well. Asked my Dr to give me 2 months before meds. Didn't actually diet but ate healthy with lots of veggies. And started walking, working up to 5 miles a day. 2 months later and all my readings were where they should be. Add me if you like
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor or a dietitian, but NAFLD is not simply caused by fat. It is likely that you are eating way my carb, especially simply sugars than you should. A low carb diet will help a great deal from what I have heard from various people who had to deal with it.
  • Christi6604
    Options
    I too was diagnosed with a fatty liver. Pre-diabetic as well. Asked my Dr to give me 2 months before meds. Didn't actually diet but ate healthy with lots of veggies. And started walking, working up to 5 miles a day. 2 months later and all my readings were where they should be. Add me if you like

That's great! good job on the changes! I'm hoping to see better numbers on my return visit in August.