No Pain, No Gain. Taking it too Far?

Options
When do you say enough? Do you push past pain from old injuries and wonder if it is ok? What is holding you back and how do you conquer the set back?:smile:

Replies

• nickiec85
    nickiec85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have had sciatic since I was 21y/o from a horse that fell on me. I had my back fused about 8 years ago and this helped alot. I still have trouble and when walking my leg hurts to my knee. If I wiil loose the weight and consistantly exercise I am hoping for more improvement.
  • nickiec85
    Options
    I have had sciatic since I was 21y/o from a horse that fell on me. I had my back fused about 8 years ago and this helped alot. I still have trouble and when walking my leg hurts to my knee. If I wiil loose the weight and consistantly exercise I am hoping for more improvement.
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try water aerobics or swimming the weight is taken off your body then and it may help.
  • nickiec85
    Options
    I can't bring myself to go to the pool!! It is so boring for me! Thanks for the suggestion. I will kept on keeping on!!!!
  • nickiec85
    Options
    Ok, how to handle muscles tightening while walking?? My shoulders and back of my neck!!! Oh how tight!!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Ok, how to handle muscles tightening while walking?? My shoulders and back of my neck!!! Oh how tight!!
    1) Stretch you neck and shoulder muscles
    2) Keep your shoulders back and your head up and looking forward.
  • nickiec85
    Options
    Thank you!! I will try this!!
  • ritajean3
    Options
    I can't bring myself to go to the pool!! It is so boring for me! Thanks for the suggestion. I will kept on keeping on!!!!

I understand there are things I find mind numbingly boring too!

Light stretching may help. Have you been to a physio they may be able to give you stretches and suggest exercises
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

You should always stretch before and after exercise to prevent injury! Before you should stretch with fluid movement: ie: arm crosses, neck circles, hip circles, knee circles. Static stretching should be done at the end of a workout! :)

As for the pushing past the point of pain, I do to a certain extent. I'm only 24, but I had major knee surgery at 16 (completely torn acl which was replaced by pieces of muscle from my hamstring and two large tears in my medial meniscus). When I'm not working out and living an active lifestyle, it never hurts. But with more movement in that area, my knee is always sore after running. Does that stop me? Hello no! I wear a knee brace and I ice after my workout. I guess there is a threshold when I have to take a break for a day or two, but in the end I'm never going to reach my goals if I let a little pain stop me!
  • shauna121211
    Options

The pool can be a bit boring, but lap swimming is SUCH a fantastic cardio workout that puts very minimal pressure on your body! It honestly sounds like a great workout for someone in your situation. I personally love it, but also find it a bit boring following that never ending black line at the bottom of the lane, so I bought myself a waterproof mp3 player. They aren't very expensive and they definitely put more excitement into your boring swim! Spend some time putting together an awesome playlist and you won't want to stop! :)
  • ritajean3
    Options

The pool can be a bit boring, but lap swimming is SUCH a fantastic cardio workout that puts very minimal pressure on your body! It honestly sounds like a great workout for someone in your situation. I personally love it, but also find it a bit boring following that never ending black line at the bottom of the lane, so I bought myself a waterproof mp3 player. They aren't very expensive and they definitely put more excitement into your boring swim! Spend some time putting together an awesome playlist and you won't want to stop! :)

I guess the point also it go there to get into shape and then once you are in good enough shape to handle other exercise get the heck out of there :)
  • shauna121211
    Options

I guess the point also it go there to get into shape and then once you are in good enough shape to handle other exercise get the heck out of there :)

Yeah - I think water aerobics is great for that, however I think lap swimming is just as great a workout as running - maybe even better. I don't think people realize how hard it is because you can't tell how much your sweating!! :)