The bookends of "normal" BMI

Options
plg999
plg999 Posts: 14 Member
Even at my heaviest, I'm never outside of the "normal" BMI range of 18.5–24.9, although I still feel crappy and unhealthy as I start to creep up towards that higher end. I know all of the critiques of BMI, but does anyone know if there's evidence that the higher end of "normal" has health risks compared to the lower end? I read something recently that suggested it did, however they were definitely trying to sell me something. This question is impossible to google.

Thanks!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    edited April 10
    Options
    BMI is a useful tool to assess entire populations, but not really for individuals except as a broad range and lacking other data. Some people are better off at the lower end, some people at the higher end.
    It's going to depend on muscle mass, fat mass, how broad/narrow your frame is (broad frame requires more 'meat' to encase it),... Age comes into it as well.

How you feel isn't necessarily a gauge of health risks. For health risks I would focus on fat mass, waist to height ratio,... Sounds like something you'd want to ask a doctor about if you want individualized advice.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Consider your age and talk to your doctor (who will probably tell you that you are fine). For older folks the lower end is not ideal...I'm at goal which is 5 lbs "overweight" and my doctor told me to not even consider losing weight..but I'm in my mid 70s. Other factors are more important than the number on the scale.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited April 10
    Options
    Normal BMI can be Country specific and that's just 1 factor, an easy observation. Look at India for example where the average BMI is 21 who also have more diabetes and heart disease per capita then the USA who by necessity are also much more active. It’s important to note that while BMI is a useful screening tool, it does not directly measure body fat or health. Other factors such as muscle mass, ethnic background, and age are also important considerations. If you don't feel healthy, then you don't feel healthy even if your within the normal BMI guidelines and I would suspect that comes down to your diets metabolic influence on your overall metabolic health. I mean people can still have 1 or more non communicable diseases while still being a "normal" body weight. Try eating differently.
  • plg999
    Options
    Thanks for these critiques of BMI. I am aware of these issues, but I was wondering about the research on this specific question. :)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I still think the answer to your question is dependent on each individual. Are YOU unhealthy and have more health risks at a higher BMI for you? I think a full check-up and perhaps blood work would at least give you some idea.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The BMI scale also ignores whether you're male or female. Men "tend to" be more dense. That should theoretically put them higher on the BMI scale at a healthy weight. Women tend to be less dense, so theoretically would expect to be lower on the BMI scale.

For fun, you could check out the "Smart BMI Calculator" at https://www.smartbmicalculator.com. It takes age, gender into account. It also has a check box if you're Asian so it can take that into account. It gives some good feedback.

People, even people in the medical field, often misuse BMI. It was intended as a population statistic, and using it to assess an individual is likely to cause some confusion. It can be a reasonable first cut. Clearly someone with a BMI of 35 or someone with a BMI of 15 would be at risk of weight-related health consequences.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    plg999 wrote: »
    Thanks for these critiques of BMI. I am aware of these issues, but I was wondering about the research on this specific question. :)

Research will not/ever pertain to any individual, that needs evaluation by a health care professional.
  • plg999
    Options
    plg999 wrote: »

Research will not/ever pertain to any individual, that needs evaluation by a health care professional.

Right, which is why I'm asking about the research, not my own health. I thought someone in here might be familiar with whether this has been investigated, but I guess not.