new

Options
My name is Emma & I’ve gained about 40 pounds over the past year hitting 180. after medical complications due to kidney stones as well as medication. i know my journey towards weight loss is just beginning and it feels discouraging some days when losing just 2 pounds doesn’t feel like an accomplishment.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Emma!

Sometimes when the internal voice says you haven't made much progress, you can turn to an external example. Words of encouragement from others in your life or on this site are good, but I'm also looking at a visual/tactile example you can actually see and feel.

For example, an empty milk jug (washed out). If you lose 1 pound on the scale, you fill the jug with 1 pound of water (about 16oz). Next week if you lose 1/2 pound, you add 8oz. Next week you do not lose any weight, you do not add any water. Keep the jug next to the scale. On days you feel discouraged that you haven't made any progress, pick up the jug and tell yourself, THIS used to be inside you, but you've already lost it. LOOK how far you've come, FEEL how much weight you no longer have to carry around with every. single. step.