Choosing to Live Intentionally

Options
Malli_D
Malli_D Posts: 1 Member
Greetings!! At the beginning of March I made a choice to be intentional in each of my days. I have a rare neurological disorder that has been chipping away the “me” in me for nearly 21 years now. Pain, cognitive deficits, and other physical limitations have greatly impacted the way I live life. My world is very still, and quiet by necessity…but I know that my life still bears fruit and serves purpose. This is a truth that I must constantly remember to remember.

So since the beginning of March 2024, I have been getting up everyday, making my bed, washing my face brushing my teeth, putting on clothes and sitting out on my back patio while I read my Bible, and journal. I bought plants that are still alive(this is huge!!), and I feed the wide variety of birds that make my backyard their home. I’m maintaining my home by doing a chore a day (bathrooms, floors, dusting, laundry, etc). I am availing myself to the purpose of each day…even if the purpose is no more than a single conversation with a neighbor…I’m up, willing and present.

Exercise is critical to staving off some of the various degenerative natures of my condition…though fighting through to do it is often a great challenge. However, it delights my heart to say that I have walked at least 5k steps in addition to various aerobic, yoga and cardio type exercise every day for over a month now. Finding the balance between what I’m able to do vs. what I desire to do has been a struggle, but my body and brain make it clear when I’ve overstepped a limitation. I’m the past, these obstacles have caused me to give up, as it seems that I can’t win…but I’m pleased to say that I have successfully fought off that detrimental thinking, while still being gracious with myself.

There is much about my health that is completely out of my control, but I can prevent certain diet related diseases by choosing the better thing daily. And so I am….I’m eating well…moving daily…pulling the “sailboat” that is my life out of storage, setting it on the water, and raising the sails…ready for the Holy Spirit to provide the wind and direction.

Ultimately, my goal is to be under 200lbs and never be above it again. I want to be as strong as possible so that I can move and be independent as long as possible. My desire is to be able to play with my precious grandchildren and make sweet memories with my family for as long as I am able. My sons (ages 31 and 29) have spent their adult lives lovingly considering what their future with their mother, and my care will be. Out of love and respect for them, I must do everything within my power to not add unnecessary challenges to an already challenging situation.

And thus, the inspiration for my Intentional Living. ❤️

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @Malli_D! Sounds like you have a plan in motion that's worth keeping up. Intentionally. 😎
  • artsrule
    artsrule Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You're journey is inspiring to me! I had a stroke in utero, so know the ins & outs of a neurological condition. It's definitely a balancing act, pursuing goals while not overextending oneself. Let your"sailboat" ⛵️ chart the course & take 1 day at a time. Best wishes!