Creatine?

Options
Hey guys -

I'm mid-50s. Active healthy but considering Creatine for recovery.

Any thoughts from others?

Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

It's safe, proven, cheap. Creatine and protein powder are my main supplements.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    One of the most studied supplements out there, got for it. Only downside, check with your doctor if being treated for kidney issues.
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be really good. I don't remember the exact science behind it but it's supposed to be like an energy source for those last reps. Also remember reading somewhere that it's supposed to be good for your cognitive function.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    Well-studied, generally considered safe. I've been taking it for a while (F, active, age 68, more a short/medium cardio endurance athlete, not much of a lifter). Some people see a scale jump from water weight when they start taking it: It's not fat, so don't let it worry you if it happens. Some people reportedly are non-responders.

I had more muscle cramps at night than usual at first, not a thing that I usually experience. I'm not sure that was the creatine, but it's one of the possible side effects. It stopped after a few weeks.

I think this article is not paywalled:

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

That's a generally well-regarded evidence-based site that summarizes research in consumer-friendly articles. They don't sell supplements. (They do sell access to their research summaries, but some articles are free.)