food scale.

Options
I got my food scale.

How do I use it?
How do I log the food into my fittness pal?

I never used a food scale before.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This is how I use it.

For something like carrots:
    Set a plate on top. Turn on scale. It should read 0. Add your food item to the scale. Go to MFP, search for "carrots raw". Find an entry with no asterisk, because that if an MFP standard unit from the USDA rather than a user-contributed entry. Choose a g measurement option - usually it's 100 grams. If your carrots weigh 39 grams, enter .39 of 100g. Done!

For something like peanut butter (or mayo, sour cream, etc):
    Set the jar on the scale. Turn on the scale or tare it. Remove peanut butter from the jar until it says -16 (one tablespoon of my peanut butter) or -32 (two tbs). Apply to bread. Lick knife. Log one or two tablespoons of your peanut butter.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Another thing I do for breakfast, for instance. I put an empty plastic bowl on and turn the scale on / or turn it on a place the empty bowl, then hit the TARE button if you have one. I spoon in plain greek yogurt until I have 112 grams (1/2 serving on carton) then add grapenuts or shredded wheat (any cereal) to bring it up to 162 grams if a serving size of cereal is 50 grams, then sprinkle sugar on to equal the gram size of however many tsp of sugar I like.
  • aekjunk
    aekjunk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is there a food scale that will sink and add the food to MyFitnessPal?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    aekjunk wrote: »

If I throw my food scale in the water, it will for sure sink.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    aekjunk wrote: »

As far as I know, there are no scales that sync with MFP and log for you. It would a be a bad idea right now anyway since nearly all of the database has been added via the users and there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of incorrect entries. Not to mention that companies also change products over time and entries that were once right can become outdated.