I am losing weight but I don't look like I do

Options
please, is that common?? I lost pounds on my scale.. But only my face got thinner.. My body is still the same with all the trouble zones in place.. I'm starting to get discouraged.. I have flabby arms and tummy.. Thick legs.. Oh I hate my body!!!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, so keep losing weight through a caloric deficit and you will eventually shed those problem areas
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i didnt look like i was losing until 30lbs in; all though i had/have much more to lose. its very common.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    That 6 pounds lost is throughout your body. Try taking your measurements along with the weight and you will better see where it is coming from.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, so keep losing weight through a caloric deficit and you will eventually shed those problem areas

this

i FEEL like I dont look like Im losing weight... I did some comparison pictures- that really helped me to see it. Or take measurements regularly.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself? I didn't think I was losing much until I measured and saw that I lost six inches all over.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My clothes all still fit the exact same way, so I know what you mean.

But people didn't notice I lost weight the last time I did it till I was 30 lbs lighter. So take heart, keep going, and you'll get there.

You didn't put the weight on overnight, you're not going to lose it overnight either. :flowerforyou:
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The previous poster is correct. You can't spot reduce. Unfortunately, the way that your body distributes fat is largely genetic. Usually, the first place you tend to gain is the last place you will tend to lose from. You just have to keep going and those trouble spots will eventually go away.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, it gets better. I had to lose 40+lbs for folks to notice I had lost weight because.... well... I was that fat, I guess... yeah. Now that I've lost 50+lbs folks notice regularly, but it took a long time and it was very discouraging.

On the plus side of this, since no one is noticing, they're not reflecting their vile self-hatred on you and trying to sabotage you.

In the end you won't get a 'new' body. You'll get a remodeled, refined body.

How my weight has been going is weird too. My first 20 lbs or so it was all in my thighs and buttocks. After that my belly started to deflate and still looks like a partially inflated beach ball. After 30 lbs my arms started to shrink and I lost weight in weird places I didn't know I had extra weight. I've read quite a few posts on this forum and everyone seems to lose weight in different places and never where they want it, at least not right away.

Hang in there. You can do this. Just don't give up.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I lost 13cm's from my boobs before I started losing from anywhere else.
  • AmyS79
    Options
    I have lost 20lbs and I dont see it on myself but I know I will soon..keep going
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    It really sounds as if you are fixating on your body and on the mirror. Enjoy the success that you are seeing on the scale. Keep losing weight and you will start to see a difference in your clothes soon. Next you will start to feel the difference in your body and then, likely last, you will be able to see the difference in the mirror.

Celebrate each success, in what ever area of the process and you will find the process more rewarding, satisfying and easy to sustain.

Good luck.
  • CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I see it in my hands and feet, then my face, then my neck and shoulders then knees...can you tell that I've done this a few times? Personally, I see results from the extremities into the middle. You're shrinking, but it's hard to see sometimes.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    Right now, after losing 27 lbs, people take notice a LOT that I have lost weight. I am down 2 sizes (not sure how, but I'm letting my body do it's thing), and I am wearing more attractive clothing. It has taken me from July 20th through today to lose this weight. You cannot expect to see drastic results with 6 lbs. People will get used to the way I look and will stop commenting until I lose probably another 20. I'm okay with that.

I started losing weight the way you did: In the face, but nothing in the body. You can't spot reduce, but you can be patient. I lose weight from the top down, so my biggest trouble zone - my hips (thank you son, but I had enough issues with those before you invaded my body) - is the last place I lose.

Be patient. You didn't put the weight on over night, you won't lose it over night.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I lost in my face and chest first before anywhere. What work outs are you doing? I still have my waist and thigh which seem to be the last to go and I only have 18lbs to go to my goal weight. I would either take pics or meaurments. I felt the same way you did in the beginning. Be patient it will come off.
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7 kg and only the other day I looked in the mirror and noticed something...
    You see yourself everyday, so you don't really notice. It's other things you have to look for such as loose clothing, more energy etc to keep you going :)
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    Very few people 'see' their weight loss.. You look in the mirror everyday.. the minimal changes that occur every day are not going to be obvious. If you compare how you look in the mirror today to how you looked yesterday, realistically you will not see the changes. I will almost guarantee you that someone who hasn't seen you for a few weeks or a couple of months will see the difference.

Also remember that when we lose fat, we are also losing fat internally as well, from around our organs etc. You won't see that loss.

Sadly too, most people, women in particular, tend to lose fat from the top downwards.. which is why so many women complain about losing their boobs, but their butt and thighs are still big.

Keep persevering with it.. one day you will wake up and look in the mirror, or go to put on your old favourite clothes and be surprised.. and eventually you will lose those problem areas, you just have to keep working at it!!

Keep going! You can do it!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i lost 3.5 lbs last month and i dont see where it came from, (i really dont care) i did loose inches i lost body fat and gained muscle which was my goal, so just hang in there, you will begin to see the results of your hard work IF you stick with it.

NOTHING WORTH FIGHTING FOR WILL EVER COME EASY.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I lost 13cm's from my boobs before I started losing from anywhere else.

Sad. I wish i'd lose some. . . Kind of, my husband might cry.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bust out the measuring tape!
  • I'm just the opposite. I have not lost any weight but have lost 4 inches off my hips....I still can't figure that out.