Has something happened to pizzas?

Options
Merkavar
Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
I am in australia but maybe this is a global thing, or maybe it is just in my head.

A few years ago I used to eat pizzas and they were around 5000kj or 1100 calories

But now when I look at pizzas everything seems to be 7000kj even 8000kj

Has something changed or maybe I am misremembering or not comparing apples to apples.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Do you mean pizzas in restaurants or deepfreeze pizzas? I do notice something about frozen pizza: in the past I could get a whole frozen pizza at around 650kcal. Now it's impossible to get anything tasty below 780 or so. And that's the lower end. Not in AUS though.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    They've most likely added more cheese. Non-calorie counting people used to complain en mass that frozen pizza never had enough cheese.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My guess is the crust is different. Higher fat, thicker crust is going to be more calories. I can't find a "rising" crust in my calorie range. Rising crusts are popular in the U.S. But, I always look for thin crust instead.

Another option, buy cheese only and add your own pepperoni. If you get turkey pepperoni (or chicken sausage) in your area, that will save you many calories. Because turkey pepperoni is low-fat it's kind of stiff. I usually cut pepperoni slices into quarters and use it on pizza. Hormel (U.S. brand) makes a good one.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,237 Member
    Options
    How big are these pizzas?

I figure a basic slice of pizza is over 300 calories. It could be well over depending how many toppings or what kind of toppings. Maybe the nutrition label just changed the serving size?

Where are you getting the calorie information?