OK So I Binged Again Any Advice?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    I'm familiar with sugar binging, shout out to hormonal dysregulation, hopefully you find a solution, I did, but it was that crazy ketogenic diet :#
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    For me, binges are all about mental hunger. I have to dig deep when the urge comes on to see what it’s really about. Sounds like you did well on that this time.

Thank you crazymermaid! I think I got this! :smile:
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    Whenever someone binges or overeats.. I think it’s helpful to think on why. Is it true hunger or Appetite?

Psychologists use the terms physical hunger or psychological hunger.

For a well nourished adult who gets multiple meals a day and adequate calories.. I think it’s important to think about the difference between the 2.

Also, in this case.. candy and desserts were chosen.. was it the feeling of a craving or not being satisfied ? Would any other option have satiated the “hunger?”
    Everyone is different, only you can answer that. True hunger could be satisfied with any food. A craving is satisfied by something your mind really wants.. in this case candy and pie. Your husband doesn’t have to hide the chicken breast and carrots … he does hide the snickers possibly because those are the items that have a different impact on you psychologically.

Perhaps thinking on why you make those choices in the moment would help to avoid choices that don’t make you feel empowered or in control.

c9zqvsi4r74j.png

l2qzj8y84hgd.jpeg

SafariGal, this was a very cool read, and very useful! Thank you!
  • lisakatz2
    edited April 12
    Options
    Just weighed in! 197! Looks like the binge didn't put a dent in my progress. :)

I have been under my calorie intake for awhile so I guess it all evened out. :)
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    I'm familiar with sugar binging, shout out to hormonal dysregulation, hopefully you find a solution, I did, but it was that crazy ketogenic diet :#

I can't deal with ketogenic diets. I need carbs. The lowest I can go with carbs is around 100 grams, otherwise I get tired, shaky, and irritable. No amount of protein or fat seems to help.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited April 12
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »

I can't deal with ketogenic diets. I need carbs. The lowest I can go with carbs is around 100 grams, otherwise I get tired, shaky, and irritable. No amount of protein or fat seems to help.

Yep that's exactly what happens when your using carbs especially ones from refined sources for energy and you go lower than normal. That won't change but hopefully you don't reach out for sugar, but it's pretty common so I hope you figure it out. Whole foods might be a good option and replace most of the refined foods your eating, but again it seems most people find that as hard as the low carb route because you have to give up on all those tummy refined and tasty carbs and replace with things like beans, legumes, vegetables and fruit, which are not really that popular in the American diet apparently, basically people are not finding them very appetizing.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    I've cut down added sugars in my diet to almost nil. The only added sugar I eat on a regular basis is my Chobani yogurt drinks, which I intend to replace with plain, low fat Greek yogurt when I hit my 180 goal.
    I eat whole foods in my diet: oats, vegetables, fruits, almonds, avocado. I feel better and healthier when I eat this way. I love lentil soup and vegetarian lentil chili too, but I purchase them instead of cooking them cause I'm too lazy. :) Amys makes a good canned vegetarian chili and I believe it's 200 calories a serving (half a can).
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    How did coach Greg measure the bodyfat percentage? I was BOD PODed many years ago, in my younger gym rat days. At the time (i was in my mid 30's) I weighed 120 and was 19.5 percent bodyfat. The BOD POD is much superior to calipers.......it's like the water dunk without the water. At that bodyfat percentage I still had a bit of a stomach and was kinds smooth (too much cardio I think). The lowest/leanest I've ever been is 110 lbs, with metal calipers I came in at 17 percent. You could start to see my abs. However, 110 was too tough for me to maintain.
    It was skin fold calipers, done by an experienced person. That should be very accurate for non-obese people.

Here is the vid I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6JeVt81mo
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    Options
    Actually an interesting hunger test for me is baby boiled potatoes and a bag of California mix veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)

420Cal buys you 750g of the veggies and 250g baby potatoes, or 1kg/2.2lb of food.

Tbh I usually go with 360g of baby potatoes and bump it up to 500 Cal and have it ready to snack on in between candy bars :wink:
  • Marvin1418
    Marvin1418 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Load up on the protein. There’s lots of high protein sweets recipes that can satisfy the sweet tooth
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 13
    Options
    You ate 4 fun sized chocolate bars which is not even one full chocolate bar, half a lemon square which is about 2 bites and a small slice of cherry pie. (that's subjective) that is not binge eating. that is overeating...but even barely that depending on your overall weekly intake. if you really think that you are suffering from binge eating, you should consider getting help from a dr who specializes in eating disorders. you say you don't want to demonize food in one of your responses, but that's exactly what you did by claiming you ate this small amount of extra food and then labelled it binging. so you asked what to do different...and my advice is not to catastrophize things unnecessarily.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If I start to eat something that I don’t want to eat, continue to eat more food that I don’t want to eat and can’t stop eating it, that’s my definition of a binge. So I guess it depends on whether the OP wanted to eat the food they started to eat, and whether they could stop eating it when they didn’t want to eat any more. It’s hard for people who are lucky enough not to have experienced this lack of control over food to begin to understand those of us with this problem.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Thanks Maeesa. Maybe if I budget in my calories a small piece of candy or two ("fun size") I won't binge?

It's a thought.

We have a bowl of "fun size" candy at work. These trigger me. But if I have @ 50 calories worth of dark chocolate, my sweet tooth is satisfied and I can stop.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited April 13
    Options
    Well the lemon bar and cherry pie need to stay in the fridge so they can't be hid.

There's a large hunk of chocolate cake still in there!

I apologize in advance, but your response doesn't address the subject of maintaining habits.

I'd rather not demonize food.

I don't think of it as demonizing but as not straining willpower, which is not an infinite resource.

If it's in the budget, I'd buy a dorm-sized frig for his treats. Ours was in the basement previously, and is now in his office.

You can also get great deals on these at the end of the college year when students are moving out and selling/abandoning everything.

Failing that, try wrapping them in an opaque shopping bag so you can't see them. (It's more helpful for me if they are completely out of sight, but that helps a little.)

https://www.telegram.com/story/news/local/north/2005/10/20/hiding-candy-proves-valuable-in/53167176007/

"Scientists studying candy-jar psychology have confirmed what most of us know instinctively: Out of sight is out of mind.

Secretaries who were given Hershey kisses for Secretary’s Week ate more of them when the jars were clear or on their desks than when the chocolates were in opaque containers or placed a short distance away."

https://foodtrainers.com/psychology-of-the-candy-bowl/

"...Brian Wasink, author of Mindless Eating, was quoted saying “even for a person with the greatest resolve, every time they look at a candy dish they say, ‘Do I want that Hershey’s Kiss, or don’t I?’ At the 24th time, maybe I’m kind of hungry, and I just got this terrible email, and my boss is complaining—and gradually my resolve is worn down.” It seems that the converse of “out of sight out of mind” or “in sight on your mind” is true with food."
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    Marvin1418 wrote: »
    Load up on the protein. There’s lots of high protein sweets recipes that can satisfy the sweet tooth

How can I find these? I'm very interested.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your helpful, insightful comments. They mean a lot of me.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    If I start to eat something that I don’t want to eat, continue to eat more food that I don’t want to eat and can’t stop eating it, that’s my definition of a binge. So I guess it depends on whether the OP wanted to eat the food they started to eat, and whether they could stop eating it when they didn’t want to eat any more. It’s hard for people who are lucky enough not to have experienced this lack of control over food to begin to understand those of us with this problem.

I agree with you 100%. I did not feel *fully* in control, I say *fully* because in the past this overeating/binge (whatever you call it) would have been a LOT worse. I have to give myself some credit for that. But I learned from this, and you guys have given me some excellent tips.
  • bryanzamudio99
    bryanzamudio99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There’s nothing to worry about, we’re humans after all. Think about it this way if you were to binge every 11 days you would still be following your diet 28 days/31 days so that’s 90% of dieting a month ! So don’t stress to much about breaking your diet every now and then that’s what helps it be sustainable (just don’t abuse)