Getting a wisdom tooth out

Options
Next week I am getting a top wisdom tooth out that had already broken through the gums but is impacted and its causing me enough pain that it needs to come out :/ Needless to say I am terrified! I have no idea what to expect. My surgeon is using anesthesia through IV :noway: which makes me even more nervous. I'm also worried about how I will feel after the surgery, will I be able to care for my two year old, and talk normally? If anyone could give me advice or support, it would be much appreciated!

Replies

• djenna8girl
    djenna8girl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 wisdom teeth out (2 top, 1 bottom). Usually, extracting the top wisdom teeth doesn't cause anywhere near as many problems as the bottom ones (most of the horror stories you hear are from getting the bottom ones out).

Whatever you do, dont start googling 'wisdom tooth extraction'!!! See if your dentist has time to have a quick chat with you so you can discuss your concerns, and maybe give you some information on the whole process.

I didnt have any problems when I had my top wisdoms out - a day of mild/moderate pain, and I wasnt able to eat much on the day, but once I was allowed to spit the big gauze pad stuffed in my inner cheek out I could speak fine. I would look at having someone around just to help out with your son (if you can) as you may feel a little dozy from the pain meds for a couple of hours....

Good luck!
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Theres no need to worry I assure you. I had all 4 of mine removed 2 weeks ago today and I'm doing okay... heres some pointers and info :

The sleepy drugs-- anesthia is a wonderful wonderful thing. You get and IV (feel equivalent to giving blood) and they put the meds in and in about 10 seconds you will be sound asleep. You will wake up thinking you just nodded off for a second. About 20 minutes after waking up youll feel a bit more alive and ready to go home. You cant drive yourself home though (just a reminder).

When you get home youll need to sleep for sure. Make sure you take a pain killer (they will prescribe these) in about the first hour. Youll still be a bit numb but its important. you also need to drink a little soup with it so it doesnt upset your tummy. After all that you will most likely go to sleep and sleep most of the day (give or take). Remember to keep taking the painkillers every 4-6 hrs... its important to stay on top of it.

The next day youll feel so much better. there will still be pain and soreness and your energy level will be down a bit. You wont be running any marathons but youll be able to take care of your 2 year old. Everyday youll start to feel better and better. By day 3 I was working out again (just a little bit but I got about 30 minutes in).

Key things to remember- no straws and no smoking for 3-5 days. I had 2 dry sockets and that was NO FUN.

The lucky part is the top ones are super easy and you run a tiny risk of dry socket unlike the top ones.

I promise itll be fine! Good Luck!
  • MamaKatel
    Options
    I have had 3 wisdom teeth out (2 top, 1 bottom). Usually, extracting the top wisdom teeth doesn't cause anywhere near as many problems as the bottom ones (most of the horror stories you hear are from getting the bottom ones out).

Whatever you do, dont start googling 'wisdom tooth extraction'!!! See if your dentist has time to have a quick chat with you so you can discuss your concerns, and maybe give you some information on the whole process.

I didnt have any problems when I had my top wisdoms out - a day of mild/moderate pain, and I wasnt able to eat much on the day, but once I was allowed to spit the big gauze pad stuffed in my inner cheek out I could speak fine. I would look at having someone around just to help out with your son (if you can) as you may feel a little dozy from the pain meds for a couple of hours....

Good luck!

Ha, i've been google-ing for days! And it was nothing but horror stories. I plan on having my husband take the day of surgery off work but after that day i'm on my own. Thanks for the advice!
  • MamaKatel
    Options
    Theres no need to worry I assure you. I had all 4 of mine removed 2 weeks ago today and I'm doing okay... heres some pointers and info :

The sleepy drugs-- anesthia is a wonderful wonderful thing. You get and IV (feel equivalent to giving blood) and they put the meds in and in about 10 seconds you will be sound asleep. You will wake up thinking you just nodded off for a second. About 20 minutes after waking up youll feel a bit more alive and ready to go home. You cant drive yourself home though (just a reminder).

When you get home youll need to sleep for sure. Make sure you take a pain killer (they will prescribe these) in about the first hour. Youll still be a bit numb but its important. you also need to drink a little soup with it so it doesnt upset your tummy. After all that you will most likely go to sleep and sleep most of the day (give or take). Remember to keep taking the painkillers every 4-6 hrs... its important to stay on top of it.

The next day youll feel so much better. there will still be pain and soreness and your energy level will be down a bit. You wont be running any marathons but youll be able to take care of your 2 year old. Everyday youll start to feel better and better. By day 3 I was working out again (just a little bit but I got about 30 minutes in).

Key things to remember- no straws and no smoking for 3-5 days. I had 2 dry sockets and that was NO FUN.

The lucky part is the top ones are super easy and you run a tiny risk of dry socket unlike the top ones.

I promise itll be fine! Good Luck!

Thanks so much for the details, thats exactly what I needed. I def. feel more at ease about it now!