coffee before workout?

Options
BIGGG mistake????? I am not a usual coffee drinker, maybe, IF, once/week in the morning. If I drink it after lunch, I have trouble sleeping. I made coffee this morning, but I drank it one hour ago, since I didn't have time to drink it today. After that, I decided to do my workout after 2 days break of physical activity (because of TOM...big mistake, again? but that's another question). So after about 20 minutes into my workout, I started feeling very weird, jittery...a little bit of anxiety, cold sweats, so I had to stop the workout. The jitters continued. So I guess, no coffee before a workout for me????
Second question: if during TOM you feel tired and sick and simply lethargic, do you push yourself to work out, or give your body a rest?

EDIT: in the past, drinking coffee has made me jitter. It also happens when I am extremely hungry (if I have not eaten anything for 12 hours or something, I start shaking - happened mostly in college, when I didn't have time to eat). Is it low blood pressure, high blood pressure, what?

Replies

• acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like coffee just has a big impact on you -- could you try half-caff and see what happens? I always drink a cup of coffee (instant, hrmph) in the morning before I go out for a run.

During my TOM I just push through the discomfort and do my scheduled exercise. Sitting around usually makes me feel 10x worse anyway!
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinker, I always have a cup before my workout (and 2 more after) at 5am. But my body is used to it.

I workout no matter what time of the month it is. Working out can alleviate cramping and help with your mood.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I usually workout with just coffee in my gut and never had an issue. I also workout like normal when i'm on my period. I just drink more water.
  • canuckgurrl
    canuckgurrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    TOM does not stop me from working out. It actually helps relieve the cramping a bit.
    I'm a regular coffee drinker but work out after work so I can not comment on that part lol.
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    caffeine half an hour before hand is supposed to be great before a workout... but everyone is different
    I don't do it, my boyfriend does
  • almondbliss
    Options
    I take some pamprin and push through…and normally see a good loss after tom is gone. I have no probs with coffee, I actually drink it as a night time snack. Just found out that yohimbe keeps me up though.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    DEPENDS....... you'll **** yourself
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If I have a cup of coffee before my workout, I will have to pause it for a bathroom break, so I wait until after for my coffee. :)

As for the TOM question, I wouldn't skip workouts all week long. If you're feeling tired and lethargic one day, rest up... if you're still tired the next day, try to work it out!
  • coffeegal72
    Options
    I always drink coffee before my workout, but I also don't get to the gym before 10am. I like when it's fairly empty
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should dial back the caffeine - someone suggested half-caf, and there's also always tea. Judicious use of caffeine is good before a workout for a lot of people, but you might be extra sensitive so you need to listen to your body. I like to have a cup of good strong black tea before my workouts, but it works really well for me. I'm not sensitive to it, and my body is used to it anyway.

For TOM, I ALWAYS take at least one, and sometimes two days off if I'm feeling especially bad. It's not just the cramps (although that can be awful that first day) but the achy body and fatigue, and I've not had any luck taking anything that helps with those. No more than two days, though!!!