Fennel! (Or sometimes I see it as "Anise")

Options
I am having fennel as a snack right now. Just raw fennel! And I love it - just raw like this. It's such a great pallette (sp?) cleanser and I love the crunchiness. I like celery too, but at least with fennel there's a bit of a minty flavour.

But not too many people know what it is. Everyone in my workplace has had my little "lunch and learn" on fennel because I was tired of answering questions about it every time someone knew saw me cutting it up in the lunch room. (And I just had that happen 5 minutes ago - guess I didn't catch the new girl so maybe it's time to think about another lunch and learn...ha!)

Even when I go to the grocery store, the cashier will look at me and say "what is this?" and I'll let them know. And then the inevitable "so how do you cook it?" and then I go off on my "fennel is wonderful!" rant. Those poor souls waiting in line behind me! Ha

Anyway...just wondering if there are other fennel lovers out there and if you have any fun recipes to share. Here's one that's a staple in my house:

1/2 fennel bulb (chopped)
1/2 can of chick peas (rinsed)
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
White vinegar (a couple of splashes...add more if you must)
Garlic salt (to taste, as much as you like)

Put them all together and serve as a salad or can be a main meal if you're eating the whole thing yourself!

CHEERS!

Replies

• sandislim
    Options
    I love fennel - I've bought it a few times and it rotted in my cupboard because I didn't know what to do with it. A few weeks ago I was reintroduced to it and used it in some recipes, it is delish and I wonder why I hadn't tried it before!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I got some in my CSA box and unfortunately it went to waste... I've tried it raw before though and it is pretty good!!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have always loved it! Ever since I discovered it 8 years ago. Thanks for the recipe.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My son in law made a soup with fennel that was fabulous ... this is a close approximation since I don't have the recipe. Fennel and Carrot Soup

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Carrot-Fennel-Soup-350600
  • somerreese
    Options
    yum!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I think fennel and anise are different, though very similar. Like fennel seeds would go in sausage, but you wouldn't put anise seeds in sausage. Or maybe you would, who am I to judge?

Anywho, I think I read that on a blog post about making pickles.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Roast it in the oven. Yummy.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I must bump because I enjoy fennel/anise and would love to try some new recipes. Thank you for sharing yours
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My finger smells funny after I touch my anise. Yes, you see what I did there, don't you.
  • KEShikes
    Options
    Roast it in the oven. Yummy.

Agree...the best! It gets so sweet! I like it in salads, too, though.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Options
    I like to eat it raw with hummus or some homemade tahini to dip it in..
  • dianaskin
    Options
    My finger smells funny after I touch my anise. Yes, you see what I did there, don't you.

HA HA HA HA HA HA! LMAO over here. :)

And as for roasting in the oven...I do that too! Here's what I do, though:

Slice it, brush with a little extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with a bit of salt and lots of oregano. I bake it for a good 35 minutes at 350 and toss it around a few times. And no word of a lie, it TASTES LIKE PIZZA to me!
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    For those that are confused... Fennel and Anise taste similar but they aren't the same plant... Just an fyi.. I love both and have a sausage and fennel dish that I make sometimes
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Love the fennel recipe you shared. As a vegetarian I miss the taste of fennel I once enjoyed in italian sausage dishes. Yeah now I have a vegetarian option to try.

FYI, I thought Anise was where licorice flavoring originated. Fennel something quite different though both delicious. Thanks!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I make a Mariniere sauce with freshly stewed tomatoes, fennel, leeks, gahhhhhhlic, salt, pepper, white wine and fresh vegetable stock, thyme and a little oregano.

It is traditionally a fresh french sauce served over mussels and other seafood.

Fennel adds a fresh balance of flavor to this sauce.. and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO uber yummy!
  • dianaskin
    Options
    So just to clarify - when I go to the grocery store I see it as both Fennel and Anise (one of these days I will go in with a black marker to correct them!) So I wanted to note that if you go to the grocery store, look out for Fennel or Anise. Either way, it's friggen delish! :)
  • MrsCB10
    MrsCB10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yummy! You've inspired me to go buy some!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use fennel anywhere the recipe calls for celery!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    (stupid double post)