Best foods to lose weight with no Gallbladder?

Options
Hello,
I had my gallbladder removed years ago and since then I feel like my body never absorbs the nutrients that is needed. typically, shortly after I eat I have to run to the restroom and I feel like that was pointless everything just left my body. I have had issues with losing weight for a long time and I think I eat pretty well but nothing seems to change. i have just started taking a probiotic and a fiber prebiotic hoping this can help me in some sort of way. I'm 40 years old not super active with my job so I know I need to start being more active. I watch tons of videos saying increase your protein eat fewer carbs and watch your oil/fat intake. sometimes I just feel so over my head trying to get this down. I'm even thinking about seeing a nutritionist but don't want to be put on the mediterranean diet as my doctor said I should do. I've noticed with that I'm not losing weight and eating too much fat/oil as by body has a hard time processing the oil that everything just runs right through me. Any advice will be great.
thank you

Answers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with the Mediterranean diet? What are you eating now?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with the Mediterranean diet? What are you eating now?

She said because of the gallbladder removal she can't handle too much oil. Mediterranean is a fat heavy diet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Usually fat would be the trigger for that problem in some people without a gallbladder. If you know what range of foods to eat to minimize that problem, then eating a calorie-appropriate amount of those foods would be expected to lead to weight loss. The idea that there are special foods to eat to lose weight is generally a myth. Any combination of foods, at the right calorie level, has the potential to work.

There have even been stunt-type diets where people lost weight eating mostly twinkies, or only foods from McDonald's, and that sort of thing. (I'm not saying you want to or should eat Twinkies or McDonald's. I'm saying that any combination of foods can lead to weight loss, even silly combinations.)
    CrystalJB1 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I had my gallbladder removed years ago and since then I feel like my body never absorbs the nutrients that is needed. typically, shortly after I eat I have to run to the restroom and I feel like that was pointless everything just left my body. I have had issues with losing weight for a long time and I think I eat pretty well but nothing seems to change. i have just started taking a probiotic and a fiber prebiotic hoping this can help me in some sort of way. I'm 40 years old not super active with my job so I know I need to start being more active. I watch tons of videos saying increase your protein eat fewer carbs and watch your oil/fat intake. sometimes I just feel so over my head trying to get this down. I'm even thinking about seeing a nutritionist but don't want to be put on the mediterranean diet as my doctor said I should do. I've noticed with that I'm not losing weight and eating too much fat/oil as by body has a hard time processing the oil that everything just runs right through me. Any advice will be great.
    thank you

I hope you'll find that the probiotic/prebiotic do help. I know they help some people with some conditions, but I haven't seen anything one way or the other about whether they help people with rapid gastric emptying (a.k.a. dumping syndrome). I hope they may. (FWIW, I have no gallbladder.)

If your body doesn't completely absorb nutrients due to rapid gastric emptying, it seems likely that it wouldn't completely absorb calories in those foods, either.

To the bolded: Eating pretty well, even eating very well, isn't necessarily a route to weight loss. I ate reasonably healthfully for decades and stayed fat. I added lots of exercise consistently, and still stayed fat for another dozen years. It's not the perfect route for everyone, but for me, calorie counting with MFP, figuring out my personal calorie needs, and eating the right number of calories . . . that led to weight loss. I didn't change the range of foods I ate. (I did change portion sizes and frequency of high-calorie foods.) I didn't materially increase exercise.

Are you counting calories? Have you done that consistently, tracked results, and adjusted your calorie intake based on those results? If not, that's one approach to consider trying.

Best wishes!

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,392 Member
    Options
    If you run to the loo after every meal then I'd think you still eat a lot of calories as you'd otherwise lose weight. But yeah, what the others said: you need to figure out how much fat you can tolerate. Eating several smaller meals might be another thing to look into so that you don't stress your tummy too much.

Lost my gallbladder quite a few years ago and never had a problem thereafter. However, I'm eating a somewhat normal continental European diet, which is probably lower in fats than a US diet.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 26
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out about 9 years ago. Just got diagnosed with fatty liver in Feb. I resisted the Mediterrean Diet for a long time because I wasn't fond of many fruits and veggies.

I had lost 70 pounds back in 2010 and kept it off for 6 years. Starting gaining and really struggled to lose. What finally worked for me was eating a Mediterrean Diet. I'm not saying you have to at all, not everything is for everyone. I'm just saying that worked for me. As I type this, I'm trying avocado for the first time. It's - edible. Lol. :-)

With any way of eating, you have to find what works for you. Doesn't mean you have to do it all. So, I eat the few veggies I like over and over. I'm slowly trying new ones, but I'm eating a lot of what I DO like. I cut out fast food, sodas, and significantly reduced my red meat intake. That's all Mediterrean Diet too.

In general, I think real food that isnt' packaged helps. Less sugary food - even those with fake sugar helps. More veggies helps. At least for me. Weight loss at 48 looks very different for me than it did at 35 when I could eat poor quality food and still lose.

I would also really encourage you to visit a dietician. I've gone a few times. Just like any doctor, you have to find a good fit. My dietician was very helpful. Let them know that you have concerns about a Mediterrean Diet and they have the education to help you figure out what will work for you! Sometimes you need help! They have the training to do it and the right person can help a lot!

I would also encourage you to have a visit with a gastroenterologist. Let them know of your digestion issues. I wish I'd gone sooner. My liver had a harder time processing food after my gallbladder was out and I've learned how common that is. You shouldn't have to sprint to the restroom all the time. Promise. :-) You can absolutely do this.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    When I first had my gallbladder out I supplemented with Ox Bile and that helped a lot. It's been close to 10 years now and my body seems to have adjusted because I no longer have to supplement.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out about 9 years ago. Just got diagnosed with fatty liver in Feb. I resisted the Mediterrean Diet for a long time because I wasn't fond of many fruits and veggies.

I had lost 70 pounds back in 2010 and kept it off for 6 years. Starting gaining and really struggled to lose. What finally worked for me was eating a Mediterrean Diet. I'm not saying you have to at all, not everything is for everyone. I'm just saying that worked for me. As I type this, I'm trying avocado for the first time. It's - edible. Lol. :-)

With any way of eating, you have to find what works for you. Doesn't mean you have to do it all. So, I eat the few veggies I like over and over. I'm slowly trying new ones, but I'm eating a lot of what I DO like. I cut out fast food, sodas, and significantly reduced my red meat intake. That's all Mediterrean Diet too.

In general, I think real food that isnt' packaged helps. Less sugary food - even those with fake sugar helps. More veggies helps. At least for me. Weight loss at 48 looks very different for me than it did at 35 when I could eat poor quality food and still lose.

I would also really encourage you to visit a dietician. I've gone a few times. Just like any doctor, you have to find a good fit. My dietician was very helpful. Let them know that you have concerns about a Mediterrean Diet and they have the education to help you figure out what will work for you! Sometimes you need help! They have the training to do it and the right person can help a lot!

I would also encourage you to have a visit with a gastroenterologist. Let them know of your digestion issues. I wish I'd gone sooner. My liver had a harder time processing food after my gallbladder was out and I've learned how common that is. You shouldn't have to sprint to the restroom all the time. Promise. :-) You can absolutely do this.

This is such good, level-headed, common sense advice.

To the bolded specifically, many people (not necessarily absolutely all) will find weight loss (and maintenance) easier when eating relatively more so-called "whole foods" and relatively fewer highly-processed foods.

Some of it is about satiation, energy level, and nutritional adequacy . . . but there are also some reasons to believe that it takes more calories to digest and metabolize whole foods, so we net somewhat fewer calories eating the less-refined foods. It's kind of like refining foods sort of partly pre-digests them. The effect is likely small, but it's possible contributor.