Options
2»

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    An under chair walking pad is not a treadmill. When on an actual treadmill or actually walking you're supporting your body weight, propelling forward and engaging far more muscles rather than just sitting there moving your legs. Better than nothing but definitly not the same as upright walking.

When I googled under desk walking pads or treadmills I saw basically regular treadmills just a little more compact. Many of them even have inclines. I would consider these treadmills, maybe I’m seeing the wrong thing. I didn’t see anything you use sitting down if that’s what you’re saying.

Agree with you @mtaratoot, I’m trying to wrap my head around it as well. Considering the belt is moving backwards you have to go against the grain so to speak which is much harder than something that doesn’t move or moves in the same direction, so I’m not sure why it’s considered “easier”. Just having a hard time visualizing how you’re not propelling and not working as hard. 🤔 Especially if your hands are typing, which means you’re not baring any weight for support.

OP, I’d love to see what you purchased. Can you provide an image or link?
    yes I was thinking of another type. The ones that I believe was being referring to is where you’re standing are pretty cool however I’d guess they’re only good if you aren’t using the keyboard.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the keyboard? We have a lot of people at my university that use walking pads at their desks. It hasn't seemed to have any effect on their productivity. From what I understand, it often improves it.
    trying to imagine walking and typing on a keyboard at the same time while bouncing up and down.

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,175 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    An under chair walking pad is not a treadmill. When on an actual treadmill or actually walking you're supporting your body weight, propelling forward and engaging far more muscles rather than just sitting there moving your legs. Better than nothing but definitly not the same as upright walking.

When I googled under desk walking pads or treadmills I saw basically regular treadmills just a little more compact. Many of them even have inclines. I would consider these treadmills, maybe I’m seeing the wrong thing. I didn’t see anything you use sitting down if that’s what you’re saying.

Agree with you @mtaratoot, I’m trying to wrap my head around it as well. Considering the belt is moving backwards you have to go against the grain so to speak which is much harder than something that doesn’t move or moves in the same direction, so I’m not sure why it’s considered “easier”. Just having a hard time visualizing how you’re not propelling and not working as hard. 🤔 Especially if your hands are typing, which means you’re not baring any weight for support.

OP, I’d love to see what you purchased. Can you provide an image or link?
    yes I was thinking of another type. The ones that I believe was being referring to is where you’re standing are pretty cool however I’d guess they’re only good if you aren’t using the keyboard.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the keyboard? We have a lot of people at my university that use walking pads at their desks. It hasn't seemed to have any effect on their productivity. From what I understand, it often improves it.
    trying to imagine walking and typing on a keyboard at the same time while bouncing up and down.

Ahhh....it's a much slower pace than you're imagining. For one, you typically plan on doing it for a few hours. You also have to go slowly enough to concentrate on monitors and keyboards and not on having to keep up and stay steady on a walking pad. Like you said, briskly walking just wouldn't work. But on Zoom calls you probably wouldn't even notice someone was walking unless you were really focusing on them for some reason.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    The pad is basically a more compact treadmill without all the armature and tall display so it can fit under a desk.
    You need to set your desk up like a standing desk - so in my case, I just have monitor and laptop mounts on my desk that position things at a height I can work and walk on the pad.
    It took a couple/few weeks to build up pace where I can work and walk without it being an issue, but it didn't take that long to adapt.
    I'm typically walking at about 2.6-3mph (so not a "fast" walk), but it's something I can/will do for hours during the day. Additionally, since I have everything set up for the walking pad, even when I'm not using it, I'm standing. I'm only sitting a small portion of the day anymore.
    Sure, it's not as much work as a walk outdoors, but this is NOT extra time to my day, nor is it time that could be spent outdoors - it's either spent sitting on my butt or walking/standing on or by the pad. Pretty sure that's a no brainer.
    I'm not contesting this vs a similar outdoor workout - that's not an option in this scenario, so not even sure why that was brought up as it does not apply. There is no mobile walking computer desk solution that has everything you need at a workstation that I've seen (I'm picturing this in my head and it's hilarious).
    My pad is just a flat "treadmill" that is a little narrower and shorter than a regular treadmill (but still allows a full walking stride, or even a very slow jog). Super easy to move around as well.