Quad workout

Options
keylamorales82
keylamorales82 Posts: 1 Member
edited April 16 in Introduce Yourself
Anyone have any tips?? on how to do quad day better without using a machine at the gym? Trying to tone them more! Yes I’m new here nice to meet everyone! My nickname is K.
💞💪🏾💞

Answers

• Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Squat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    edited April 17
    Options
    It was way, way slower and less efficient than any kind of weight lifting, or other things perceived as official strength training, but my quads got stronger, more muscular, and smaller (tighter) - I guess you'd say toned - from doing truly large amounts of rowing and biking. I row boats when I can (yes, it's a leg sport - in those skinny boats like in the Olympics, but mine is slower :D ). I row machines when I must. For cross-training (and different fun), I bike. That's on an actual bike on the trails here when I can, or stationary biking when I must.

Most of the year, I do one of rowing or cycling 6 days a week, from half an hour to an hour mostly, but the outdoor biking is often a couple of hours. Generally, I go as hard for the duration as I can without getting over-fatigued. I do it because I think it's very fun, but it did give me strong, firm quads. It took years. (I've been doing this for . . . hmmm . . . 20-something years, though visible progress "only" took a few years.)

Weights at the gym is faster. ;)
  • mylittlechocobo
    mylittlechocobo Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 17
    Options
    Leo_King84 wrote: »
    Squat.

I second that. Squats, squats and more squats. Bulgarian squats, close stance squats, suitcase carry squats, squat walks...you can get creative with adding weights, water jugs etc or use resistance bands. Wall sits are a great one as well. If you're into follow along workouts check out Caroline Girvan on YouTube, she has lots of bodyweight or minimal equipment workouts and quad specific ones. Although I'd have to agree that it will be more difficult and longer to build without heavy weights.
  • StanDandyLiver
    StanDandyLiver Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Let zercher squats in to your life.
  • mlconstant5
    mlconstant5 Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 18
    Options
    Squats, Bulgarian squats, walking lunges, step ups are excellent exercises to work the quadriceps. A bonus is you’ll also target glutes too🤷‍♀️💪

These can be done at home in many ways. Depending on your fitness level, starting out doing body weight. If you own weights, great! If you don’t, you can get creative and use things around the house that you can safely hold onto without compromising form.

However, if you are good with the body weight movements but not necessarily wanting to use any kind of weight, you can increase the challenge by adjusting your tempo. For example, body weight squat, instead of a standard “2second lower, 2 second stand” instead “4second lower, 2 second pause at the bottom, 2 second stand”.

Many options for exercises and ways to do them. Have a great workout!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Don’t forget, if you’re new to quad exercises, the DOMS pain can be excruciating for a few days. Even now, and I do them regularly, if my quads start giving me the “duck walk” issues, I’ll easily add three or four pounds of water weight til the pain goes away.

IOw, expect a temporary water weight gain- can be five or six pounds if it’s bad. It’s not fat gain, and you’ll pee it out in a few days.