Savory Quinoa Breakfast Bowls?

Options
danalopez52
danalopez52 Posts: 7 Member
I'm looking for ideas for savory quinoa breakfast bowls (savory over sweet is my general flavor preference, plus I don't want added sugars). The problem is that most recipes I look for call for eggs (over easy- YUCK) or soft boiled (no thanks). I'm kind of picky about my scrambled egg, and I also want a meal that's microwavable at work after weekend meal prep. I'm not big on cooked spinach either. Ideas? Help? I also try to keep my breakfast under 250 calories.
Tagged:

Answers

• synergyphysiotherapybangalore
    Options

Savory quinoa breakfast bowls are nutritious and delicious morning meals packed with protein, fiber, and flavor. They combine cooked quinoa with savory toppings like eggs, veggies, avocado, and cheese for a satisfying start to the day.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I top quinoa with Thai stir fry cabbage for breakfast. Thai pork omelette is another favourite topping for quinoa.
    https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/cabbage-fish-sauce/
    https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/thai-pork-omelette/
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,262 Member
    Options
    I do something with grits sometimes that you might be able to do with quinoa.

I start cooking the grits, and then when they are almost done, I crack an egg on top. I put the lid back on the pan for just a little bit, then I mix it all together. The egg gets mixed all in to the grits and makes them quite creamy. I then cook until the egg is done. I used to just put fried eggs on top; this uses one less pan.

What about hard-cooked eggs? Get water boiling, turn down the heat, gently lower the eggs into the water, and set the timer. When it's done, transfer the eggs to an ice water bath for ten minutes. You can cook several at a time. I like to cook my eggs eight minutes, but it sounds like you'd want to cook for nine minutes or (gasp) 9.5 minutes. You can experiment to get the right timing to your desired level of doneness.

My favorite way to "fry" eggs is to braise them. I get the pan hot, add the butter or oil, crack an egg into a bowl (two if chicken eggs, one if a duck egg), pour the egg into the pan, add a couple ounces of water, put the lid on, and set the timer. I only cook three minutes, but you'd probably prefer them a bit more cooked.

A friend told me years ago, but I've never been able to confirm it, that when you scramble an egg it creates a chemical that's not healthy. It had something to do with exposing the yolk to oxygen prior to cooking. I kind of stopped eating scrambled eggs very often after that, but I sure do enjoy a nice omelet from time to time.
  • Schnootie
    Schnootie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like chopped vegetables, hummus and salsa on my bowls of any kind. Do you like corn or beans? You can toss those in as well. I also play with flavors like sriracha sauce, curry powder etc.