Need help with what foods to eat?

Options
Something I have so much trouble with is coming up with a meal plan, I'm always at a loss for how to eat healthy during the day. I look through diet books, but there are some pretty fancy recipes, and ingredients that aren't everyday common, simple ingredients I can find at the grocery store. Can you guys share your everday meal plans from breakfast to dinner, snacks, and what kind of foods you eat through out your day that have helped you lose weight? This would really help me get started...thanks!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal (steel-cut) is a great start to the day... I start my days with one of the following
    bowl of oatmeal with either added fruits, vanilla, maple syrup....
    pancakes (i add protein powder to my from scratch pancake mix)
    egg and bacon or sausage
    rye bread with home-made raspberry jam
    bowl of bran flakes and add a handful of either raisins or craisins

lunch
    kipper snacks (canned herring)
    tuna
    beef / turkey / bison jerky

dinner
    pasta / potato / rice
    steak / chicken or ground

I eat any meal any time of the day so none of these are concrete meals :)
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    Oh, and if it helps to know I try to keep my calories around 1,200.
  • daves160
    Options
    1/2 hour before breakfast I eat plain greek yogurt.

Breakfast;
    oatmeal, or 2 eggs

Lunch;
    salad with a chicken breast, a can of white albacore tuna or lean turkey

Dinner;
    Lean beef, chicken, turkey, fish and
    brown rice, whole wheat pasta
    veggies, salad

Snacks;
    yogurt
    Cottage cheese, string cheese
    grapes, apple, tangerine, banana, berries
    almonds, walnuts, pecans
    protein bar(I like Clif builders)
    Whole milk
    Acai berry juice

Try to stay clear of white rice, white pastas, breads, potatoes

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/daves160
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 2 eggs, cheese stick(in eggs), and a 100 calorie pack of nuts --> you can add fresh peppers to your eggs or whatever you like to make them more yummy

Snack: cottage cheese and an apple

Lunch: Turkey burger/tuna or chicken breast with veggies

Snack: yogurt (chobani!)

Dinner: some type of lean protein: fish/chicken/turkey then add a veggie. Can also do some brown rice and maybe some fruit.

A good quick meal is a salad with chicken breast, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese and dressing (or whatever you like in a salad). Make sure you have a lean protein in each meal.

I hope that helps somewhat this is my typical day and what has been working for me :)
  • lanicota
    Options
    Add me as a friend, see my meal and snacks etc. I have been doing this for only a week.. but I lost already 5lbs (I am sure a lot of it was water.) my husband has lost 7lbs since last week.:smile:
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat weetbix for brekkie and a coffee
    Or toast with a poached egg, or tomato and avocado

Snacks il have
    Low fat Yoghurt
    Sesame Crackers
    Fruit
    Low cal Hot Choc Drink

Lunch I usually have a 3/4 portion of dinner the previous night (I hate sandwiches that aren't made to be eaten straight away) weird i know. Or a wrap with salad and some protein or a salad with some protein

Dinner I make a normal dinner, I dont use ANYTHING from a packet and make it all myself measure amounts and calories. On days that I exercise I eat the more fattier options but use alternatives like evaporated milk instead of cream, low fat cheese etc. On non- exercise nights I dont eat carbs and have a really nice salad with some sort of protein.

Meals that I have in my recipe planner are:
    Seafood Salad
    Tandoori Chicken
    Lamb Burgers
    Pork and Mustard Sauce
    Spaghetti Bolognase
    Chicken Satay
    Asian Chicken Salad

None of these meals take long to make 30mins for example. The key is portion sizes adding in vegies EVERYWHERE and making it yourself. Well thats for me anyway. Everyone is different.
  • wyld4eva
    wyld4eva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been doing stir fry's any veggies, brown rice shrimp or chicken and different spices. Quick easy and gets a boat load of veggies in for dinner, also make a low calorie low fat easy chili in the crockpot (just type that in web browser for ideas). roasted brussel sprouts with fresh crushed garlic, and olive oil. check out the website hungry girl she has great easy recipes that are copy cats of higher calorie ones we all love :) good luck

Oh ps veggie wraps are great with balsamic vinegar....high fiber/low carb wraps
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    smoothie for breakfast:
    banana
    greek yogurt
    ground flax seed
    green tea
    frozen strawberries and blueberries
    coffee

snack: (one or two of these)
    piece of fruit
    freeze dried fruit
    90 calorie fiber one bar
    carrots celery
    skinny cow cheese
    string cheese

lunch:
    2 cups lettuce (at least, what ever fits in tupperware container I use)
    zucchini
    crook neck squash
    cucumber
    cherry tomatoes
    red, yellow and orange bell peppers
    3 oz chicken
    san francisco sour dough pretzels (5)
    skinny cow cheese
    carrots/celery
    hot freeze dried veggies (takes place of croutons) (about 1/8c)
    either Ken's Steakhouse lite ceasar or Newman's light sesame and ginger

Dinner:
    grilled chicken breast
    whole wheat rice a roni
    squash (steamed)

Indiana kettlecorn or watermelon for dinner if calories permit

This was today's meals.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A fav lunch of mine is fat free burritos! How you might ask (I sound like a commercial..HAHA)...

La Banderita Fat Free Tortillas
    Fat Free refried beans
    Jasmine Rice
    Cilantro
    salsa

SOOO Yum! Way healthier and easier.

Another...
    Nature's Own Honey Wheat- 40 calorie cheese
    Sargento Reduced Sodium Colby Jack slices
    Mustard
    Great Value fat free turkey slices
    Baby spinach or alfalfa sprouts
    Fritos, lightly salted variety
    salsa( I love salsa)

Dinner
    Boneless Skinless chicken breast
    and frozen pack veggies or fresh

Another...
    Salmon tacos...
    Smart & Delicious Tortillas - 50 cal each
    shredded cabbage
    cooked shredded salmon
    sauce of your choice

It sounds difficult to read diet plans...just modify what you normally cook at first and you will slowly discover how to convert your cooking style as well as your eating style.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on simple, healthy eating. I try to eat breakfast within 90 mins of waking. If I am going to the gym, I may make a protein shake. Mine is a little greek yogurt, a bit of flax powder and a tbsp of almond butter. You can easily swap that for plain yogurt, flax seed powder, regular milk and peanut butter. I sometimes add a stevia packet to sweeten. On non gym days I have an egg either boiled or scrambled. I often add a bit of cheese. I find if you use shredded cheese you can still get the chessy flavor but not use as much. I eat whole eggs because they are a healthy fat. If you have a cholestrol problem the do egg whites. My trade off is I ether have grilled potatoes or bread, but never both. I prefer the potato because I get more fiber.

Lunch for me is nearly always a salad. I vary the lettuce or greens I use as well as the veg. Most days I season either with pickle juice, sesame oil, olive oil or salsa. I never buy bottled dressing because they are too high is sodium and sugar. I also often add an avocado to my salads because again, it's a healthy fat.

dinner varies, but for me is typically the most simple meal unless I go out to eat. I prefer things liked steamed brocoli, string beans or mixed veg and a grain like quinoa or cous cous.

I try to stay away from artificial foods and I don't drink soda.

My advice is thing abiyt what the foods are, and what they do to and for your body. Sometimes the calories in a particular food are not the most important thing.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    We did this tonight too...
    Sliced yellow squash
    a pat of butter
    seasoning of your choice...watch out for high sodium...
    Put it in a microwavable steamer and zap till tender...

OH they are soooooo good and lo cal!
  • Sazzles14
    Options
    Normal foods, low fat versions, smaller portions, water not snacking. Life's for living! x
  • Sazzles14
    Options
    :smile: Sorry I posted twice!
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you are so helpful. This is enough to get me started!