Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is using a Legsersiser a workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,508 Member
    edited April 20
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Can you get physiotherapy? A physiotherapist might help you working towards things you can do and build a training/movement programme for you.

I second the physiotherapist suggestion. With one caveat: If possible ask for reviews from others who have experienced the available physiotherapy options.

Most are good. Some are great.

But there are a few stinkers out there who carry a bad attitude towards morbidly obese people.
    My current physiotherapist is great.

But I have had a few in the past who would roll their eyes when I said I was trying.
    One in particular actually talked about the previous days football game with another physiotherapist while he was supposed to be working with me on my balance and hip weakness. He would roll his eyes when I mentioned symptoms of peripheral neuropathy. AND he snapped at me when I was on the NuStep and talked about planning to buy one. He actually said he thought I was not serious.

Well, it’s a very expensive machine. You have to plan for it.

I refuse to ever be booked with him again.
    He’s absolutely great for athletes recovering from injuries. But…. Yeah.

I’m typing this while peddling during a cool down cycle on my NuStep that I have in my living room. Because I actually was serious.

I did 4 1/4 miles in 75 minutes.

Eat my dust Brian the physiotherapist!
    🤪
    h9sm0t3tpqrm.jpeg

I wish you well. In my newsfeed you talk about eating the rest of the easter candy now for two or three days, here you suggest I visit a physiotherapist, and then you write about your bad experience. It's a bit confusing.
    You are very nice and very kind and I assume you are full of wisdom, so it's me. I am not getting you, perhaps I am just too confused right now about my new lifestyle, which I will want to stay on for the rest of my life.
    I am weak! I am vulnerable! I need motivation and gentleness. I think it's great that you can eat chocolates every day and not feel guilty. However, I can not.
    I guess it's like in real life. Not all are meant to be friends. :-)
    Oh boy, I hope I am writing this kind enough but get somehow my point across.
    (and yes, it's all my fault)

Yep. I ate Easter candy for a few days.

I’m further along this road than you. So occasionally I have some treats.
    I haven’t had chocolate now for a few days.

I enjoyed some sliced apple and caramel sauce an hour ago.

This whole thing is a process. I’ve been here on MFP for a while. Not as long as others. And I slacked off for a while.
    I don’t eat chocolate every day…. I promise.
    And I don’t feel guilty about anything I eat because I don’t find guilt to be a useful thing.

It’s important to build habits one step at a time. Today at the grocery store I chose not to put any candy in the cart… very intentionally.

The Oreos I have on hand are single serve packets of two gluten free cookies each. I haven’t had any of those for about a week.

I don’t believe that any food is off limits. Portion control is key. For me, anyway.
    Even on the week where I went over my calorie limit a couple days, I still had a deficit for the week. In no small part because of the exercise I’m able to do on my NuStep.

When I first started all this I had a difficult time going very long, or for any speed above walking. Now I’m able to do a minimum of 30 minutes, and often a lot more. I get my heart rate up to about 150 and keep it there for a while.
    I wasn’t able to do that when I started this.

You are still at the beginning of this process.

Keep going. You can do this.

Editing to add two points I forgot about.

One. At the very beginning I really missed chocolate sooooo much!
    I discovered that a single Tootsie Roll midget is 24 calories. If you eat it slowly, it can satisfy a chocolate craving.
    If you’re not at a point where you trust yourself with a bag of candy in the house yet that’s ok.

My other point I wanted to mention was that my current physical therapist is amazing. If it turns out you need to see one, don’t put up with one who doesn’t respect you and where you are on your journey. That’s my main point about that. 💐
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing some self discovery through reading about overeaters and their why’s? There’s some brilliant books, old and new, on the market and at the library you might enjoy.

It’s fantastic you’re adding physical challenges everyday, I can hear your determination! Your age really has nothing to do with your capabilities, so please don’t let that stereotype hold you back. I hope you consider working on the internal thoughts that got you here so you’re empowered to never go back. The more tools we have the better. If not, that’s okay too.

I’m excited for you and the new possibilities that will unfold for you everyday. Make it a labor of love and you’ve got this.