Really new, really motivated

Options
I am starting again.... I've lost 500 lbs, at least, over my life. Biggest drop was 135 lbs in a year. I'm a yo-yo. I'll do anything when motivated. I'm motivated now! Current weight 166 lbs, 5'4" Female. I want the non-exercisers to think outside the box. I walk treadmill for an hour. Great..... I play violin for an hour. I sweat more on the violin! Move! It works!

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP @JoJohnson950

If you’ve done this so often, it might be time to sit down and analyze “why am I successful and then put it back on?”

Breaking down those whys and changing those will help with long term success.

So many people reach their goal, have a mental woohoo! moment, and then just relax back to the old habits that got them there in the first place.

You need to tackle those “whys” and see where you can change them.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jo! I have a history of yo yo dieting myself, but now I feel I'm gonna lick this. You'll find tracking your food using MFP a very useful tool. I started March 20 and have been losing a pound a week. You can do this! This is a very knowledgeable, supportive community.
  • BarbaraInSarnia
    BarbaraInSarnia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am the same. Have lost before and gained. Hoping this one will stick. Add me as a friend if you llike and maybe we can support each other along the way
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm with Springlering62 here: Nothing sticks unless you plan "stickiness" into it: Moderate pace of weight loss. Eating habits that are filling, enjoyable, reasonably nutritious, practical, affordable and calorie appropriate. Ways of moving more - exercise or daily life stuff, doesn't matter - that are ideally fun, but at least practical and tolerable.

Practice those until they're habitual.

Keep doing those things forever.

Don't freak out if there's a rare day way over goal calories. It's the majority of our days that create the majority of our outcome. If that happens, just go back to the practiced reasonable habits, and don't fret about it. That one rare day when we eat too much cake (or on the flip side, work out for 5 hours) is a drop in the ocean. The ocean is everyday routine habits.

For anyone with a tendency to overweight, weight management isn't a quick project with an end date. It's a forever endeavor . . . and I'm not talking yo-yos.

I was overweight/obese for around 30 years. For the last dozen of those, I was athletically very active, even competing, not always unsuccessfully . . . but stayed fat. When I joined MFP, I told myself I wasn't going to do anything to lose weight I wasn't willing to do forever, except for a moderate calorie deficit to trigger weight loss. In a bit under a year, I was down about 50 pounds and at a healthy weight. I've been at a healthy weight for going on 8 years since.

Being at a healthy weight is better: For me, a huge quality of life improvement.

Maybe think about weight management differently, not just focus on weight loss?

Wishing you all great (permanent) success: IME, it's worth the effort!