Help! Tell me everything you know about shin splints!

Over the last two months, I have started running every other day. I used the couch to 5 k program to train and myself and recently amped up my training to do an 8 k instead. I ran the 8 k 2 weeks ago and my running has been terrible ever since! I'm too sore to go every other day- its getting to the point where I need 2-3 days in between each run. And even then I can barely go a full 30 minutes. I'm slow as hell, I spent an arm and a leg on proper shoes a month ago (and found out I have zero arch and overpronate), I don't run more than 3-4 miles during each run. Over the last few weeks my knee hurt. Then my foot. Now I feel like my shins have been cracked in half. Running has been my mental clarity for the past month and the reason I've done so well on mfp. I'm going nuts without it and losing myseld and my positive attitude! I have been saying I feel as though I was born to run. Pleasssssssse tell me I can fix this pain! Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• You need to rest for a few days and do lots of stretching. Be sure you always stretch before running.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    they hurt, and they need to heal =) better shock absorbing shoes/inserts/running surface can help. I get them when I dance, but not when I run. because when I dance, it's on a wood floor (I run on dirt or a track or a treadmill) and I don't wear my running shoes with arch support when i dance. Ice them, take and anti inflammatory, and if they hang around go to the Dr and make sure theres no tiny fractures!
  • What worked for me was changing the way I landed on my feet when running. I used to get the shin splints really bad, but I don't get them at all anymore. You shouldn't land on your heel first. Try to land on the balls of your feet instead. It takes some getting used to and you might need to start with just walking, but I swear it works!
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Also if its not improving with rest you may have to look at seeing Dr to rule out stress fractures
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    They hurt. And can derail your fitness plans if not taken seriously.
  • I so feel your pain!! I suffered a stress fracture a year ago and never even knew I had shin splints first. :( You MUST rest!!! If it hurts to run, don't do it. When I was injured I picked up a recumbent stationary bike and an elliptical used so I could do non impact exercise. It will help with your attitude and mood. You can do pilates too. If you don't listen to your body you will end up in a boot and crutches like I did.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Flexibility of your muscles is the key to alleviating shin splints. You should be stretching all muscle groups in your legs on a daily basis. Particularly your calf muscles and hamstrings need to be loose. Also, my experience has been that as I've lost weight, the situation improved. I fought shin splints for a long time but now that I'm stretching regularly and have reached my goal weight, I've not had any problems with shin splints in months.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Be careful - shin splints are little micro fractures and if you try and run through them you will end up out of commission for a long time. Trust me -- I learned from experience. It ended up taking me about 3 years to be able to run a 5k because I was too stubborn to listen to my body.

If you're new to running, every other day might be too much. Definitely try and do it regularly, but listen to your body and if it tells you it's hurting in anything but a good, muscle-achy kind of way, give it some rest. Running through pain will make the pain stop while you're running but it comes back bigtime when you stop.

Another thing to consider is what you're running on. Are you on pavement? Treadmill? Those can be major culprits for shin splints. Try and run on something soft (some treadmills are really absorbent but others aren't), like asphalt, dirt, or a rubberized track. That made a HUGE difference for me when I was starting out.

The good news is that strength training and running make your bones stronger, so once you build up the strength you need, shin splints should be a thing of the past. Until then though, take it easy. You can get past them! I haven't had any in over a year and a half now that I'm finally able to run, and I'm up to a 10k now. Good luck!
  • AlynLeigh
    AlynLeigh Posts: 39 Member
    I am sorry to say that the only thing I know for shin splints is rest. If you keep pushing yourself, you could do permanent damage. It is a "overuse injury". This has some good info.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Shin-Splints-101--Treatment-and-Prevention-Tips.htm

Stay mentally tough and be smart about how you handle your injury. I will keep my fingers crossed for your quick(er) recovery.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    They totally suck and I have them right now. I've now taken 2 weeks off running, and tried a 15min run tonight but still had a twinge. From what I've seen online, we need to do more calf stretching and strengthening. Which is great for when we start running again, but how to make them heal now?? I'm right with you being bummed out about it. I actually joined a gym so I can fill my running time with some sort of exercise. I'll be checking this thread for any other advice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Over the last two months, I have started running every other day. I used the couch to 5 k program to train and myself and recently amped up my training to do an 8 k instead. I ran the 8 k 2 weeks ago and my running has been terrible ever since! I'm too sore to go every other day- its getting to the point where I need 2-3 days in between each run. And even then I can barely go a full 30 minutes. I'm slow as hell, I spent an arm and a leg on proper shoes a month ago (and found out I have zero arch and overpronate), I don't run more than 3-4 miles during each run. Over the last few weeks my knee hurt. Then my foot. Now I feel like my shins have been cracked in half. Running has been my mental clarity for the past month and the reason I've done so well on mfp. I'm going nuts without it and losing myseld and my positive attitude! I have been saying I feel as though I was born to run. Pleasssssssse tell me I can fix this pain! Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
    The body compensates for pain. If you knee hurt, then your feet probably compensated by taking more force, then that traveled to your shins. Watch your running style:

Are you running properly?
    Poor running technique can lead to unnecessary injury risks if they are not picked up early.

World class runners have world class techniques

Many recreational runners are placing undue strain on their bodies, as well as compromising their speed, by using the wrong technique.

Conditioning coach Mike Antoniades has developed a unique methodology for teaching the correct and most efficient running technique to athletes and recreational users of all levels.

The application of Biomechanical, Gait and Movement Analysis and video documentation helps him to identify any weaknesses and the underlying causes for abnormalities in running, walking, sprinting and motor control.

Mike Antoniades
    Speed, conditioning & rehabilitation coach

Whether you run to keep fit, compete at the Olympics or participate at any level in a multidirectional ball sport you can always improve your running and sprinting technique.

Running well and running fast is a skill, not something you were born with. And just like any other skill it can be taught.

How to run properly

Are you running efficiently?

Some of the most obvious weaknesses I see in runners and joggers are:

1. Bouncing up and down too much
    2. Over striding
    3. Not using their hamstrings enough
    4. Landing on feet too heavily
    5. Breaking action on landing
    6. Not using arms
    7. Twist midriff side to side while running
    8. The head and upper body are bent forward
    9. Jogging slower than you could walk!

Most joggers and runners are biomechanically inefficient because their running technique is poor.

They don't use the necessary body parts efficiently so when they are supposed to be enjoying themselves they are instead suffering pain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/health_and_fitness/4286146.stm
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    tiger balm..I had them years ago..uneven surfaces..hills caused the pain..i ran w/them everyday...went away several weeks later..good luck
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Have you been icing them? I used to use Ace bandages and wrap large ice packs to my shins and the pain would be seriously decreased.
  • Have you had it checked out by a Dr or physical therapist? Not all shin pain is shin splints. My son had shin pain and was diagnosed with tendonitis and was caused by a weakness in his hips and the muscles not working together properly causing the pain. I would go to a sports medicine Dr not a regular MD, or get a referral to a PT.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Stretch!! Ouchies. Shin splints hurt :(
  • My PT showed me how to stretch my shins out using a foam roller. It really helped. I use the foam roller every night now, whether I've done high or low impact exercise. I've found it's a good guide to let me know if my shins are ready for high impact again, as I can feel how tight they are with the roller.

It's the most effective thing I've found so far and I've suffered with shin splints for years. Don't let it get you down, so many times I've used it as an excuse and then I end up back in my exercise rut again!
  • The best way to get rid of shin splints is to find the real cause for them and treat the cause. This is from an article about the top 7 causes, hope it helps you out:

Shin splints can be caused by a number of factors which are mainly bio mechanical (abnormal movement patterns) and errors in training.
    Here's a list of the different causes and reasons for this condition, including some that probably never occurred to you:

Cause #1 - Inadequate footwear

Changing to new running or workout shoes or wear shoes that don't have enough support. This can happen because of wearing your shoes for too long and they wear out. The most recommended are ASICS Running Shoes

Solution: Changing to better running shoes with the right support or adding Shock absorbing insoles for your shoes.

Cause #2 - Increasing training too quickly

Instead of working up to a training level gradually.

Solution: Reduce your speed and distance when you run.

Cause #3 - Running on hard surfaces

Or changing surfaces from what you are used to. For example, from a trail to concrete.

Solution

Run or exercise only on soft surfaces, such as dirt or grass, and run on level ground avoiding hills.

Cause #4 - Weak Ankle

Decreased flexibility at the ankle joint, tight achilles tendon or weak ankle muscles.

Solution

: Daily stretches of your calf and front of leg. There is a video demonstration of an excellent exercise - Just below this...

Cause #5 - Overpronation of the feet

Pronation is the movement of the subtalar joint. Pronation occurs as the foot rolls inwards and the arch of the foot flattens. Over pronation can cause injury and pain in the foot and ankle. Look at your running shoes: If they are worn on the inside of the sole in particular, you could be suffering from overpronation.

Solution

Get a running shoe with extra medial support. It gives extra support for the load and prevents the foot from rolling or flattening. Also, you can get Orthotic Insoles

Cause #6 - Flat feet

Some people have flat arches in their feet, which can make the feet roll inward when running - possibly causing shin splints.

Solution

Again, running shoes with Extra medial support.

Cause #7 - Bone Trauma

Bone trauma to the lower leg can result in stress fractures. Constant pounding the leg bones may cause tiny cracks and fractures in the lower leg bones.

Solution

Rest is needed to repair these cracks. Without it, cracks grow to become fractures, causing a lot of pain and a long rehabilitation. You can also temporarily try running in the pool or swimming to keep being active and strengthening the ankle muscles - under reduced load and stress. But, without adequate recover, these cracks continue to grow and become a fracture. The result is acute pain and a long recovery.

This is an article In wrote about it, and it's definitely all I know about it...hope it helps!

Meital
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Acupuncture was the only thing that helped my husband...and rest! Hope it eases soon xx