How can I meet my calorie goal?

Options
kjh070607
kjh070607 Posts: 2 Member
edited April 20 in Food and Nutrition
Hey so I have a 1200 max calorie but for some reason I can’t seem to meet it— I’m eating healthy food, and it feels like I eat a lot of it but I always come short by like 300-400 calories and I know that’s not healthy— i know vegetables are not high in calories, should I cut down and add more bread or?

Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    edited April 20
    Options
    kjh070607 wrote: »
    Hey so I have a 1200 max calorie but for some reason I can’t seem to meet it— I’m eating healthy food, and it feels like I eat a lot of it but I always come short by like 300-400 calories and I know that’s not healthy— i know vegetables are not high in calories, should I cut down and add more bread or?

Are you sure you're eating 800 to 900 calories? Like, someone holding a gun to your head, nope there's no way I'm eating more than that, you'll just have to kill me sure? Is your weight doing what you expect it to do? If it is, don't worry about it, continue on. Unless you're underweight and unsuccessfully trying to gain weight, or losing weight way to fast (over 2 pounds a week) I wouldn't increase your calories.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 20
    Options
    Typically these things work themselves out. After a while you’ll start getting hungry and eating more. Chances are you’re eating more than you think. It looks like you joined today, welcome! Log your food consistently for about 4 weeks and let us know how you’re doing. Don’t worry about losing a lot during the first week, it’s mostly water weight, and the remaining weeks your weight loss will be much much slower. If your average loss is up to 1 lb a week you’re doing great and eating the right amount. Hope this helps.
  • kjh070607
    kjh070607 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you— I didn’t know cause I’ve been logging all my foods every day for two weeks now— and I didn’t know if it was okay or not that I was getting under! Thanks for the insight— will def keep this in mind!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    If you're logging every bite, lick, taste, oil used in frying, condiments, dressings, beverages, etc., plus not choosing lowball calorie estimates from the food database, and still coming up short . . . look at where you're short nutrition-wise.

If low on protein, eat more protein, maybe from a protein source that also has some fats instead of a low-fat source. That could be a fattier cut of meat, a cold-water fatty fish with nice omega-3 fats in it, some cheese, full-fat rather than non-fat yogurt or cottage cheese, or something like that.

If low on fats, some of those choices could work, plus nut butters, nuts, avocados, or the like.

I agree, though, that if you're not losing weight fast right now, hang on for another couple of weeks. If you average more than 0.5-1% of your current weight lost per week, increase your calorie intake. Fast loss isn't healthy, and can make it hard to stick with longer term (once the motivation "honeymoon" is over).