food preferences to generate a meal plan

Options
Is there some way to pick food ingredients and preferences to come up with a low cal meal plan? Can you pick your food preferences and have the app generate a diet based on those food preferences

Replies

• x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of.

As a fussy eater, the best meal plan solution I have come up with is to do a week of tracking (as accurately as possible!) what I would usually eat. No concerns over making it fit any calorie or nutrition goals, just a baseline of what I am consuming on average each day.

Once I have done this, I look at the meals I enjoy eating and I research ways to make them healthier. For many meals, this may just be smaller portion sizes bulked out with vegetables.

I will scour recipe sites for new meal inspirations, either finding a way to make the calorie count fit into my day, or again looking for ways to reduce it.

I'm a firm believer in making calorie counting work with what you enjoy eating, rather than forcing yourself to prepare random meals that some meal plan has recommended. This approach also helps when you have one of those days where all you can be bothered to do is warm up some convenience food - you can account for those calories and defeat the mindset of "failing" on your meal plan.

Best of luck :)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    No, not in MFP.

In my understanding, a third party app, eatthismuch.com, has functions similar to what you're asking for, if you sign up for a free account. You can try some of the functions there for free without signup, but I've been told one needs at least a free account (sign up) in order to input food preferences, the foods you keep on hand, and that sort of thing. There are also premium features (for pay).

I don't get paid or otherwise compensated for referencing that site. I don't even use it myself. I've played with the no-signup options out of curiosity, but it's utterly against my nature and preferences to ask someone else what I should eat, or even lay it out ahead of time myself. I'm too impulsive and hedonistic for anything remotely like that.

That's not a criticism of you, by the way: We're all unique individuals, and that's part of what makes life fun and interesting. If it suits a person well, structured diet plans like that site, or preplanning/prelogging one's own food choices, that's great, sincerely.