I don't know what to eat...

Options
Apparently the amount of carbohydrates you should eat everyday for moderate weight loss is 50-100 grams.

HOW DO YOU DO THAT?
My carb grams usually are between 150-180. Maybe that's why I'm not losing weight :(
How do you create a diet that adds up to enough calories but also stays below 100 grams of carbs?

I mean, I just tried creating a meal plan for tomorrow and when I finished creating it, I saw that it was 102 grams of carbs, but only 600 calories, and obviously I can't eat 600 calories in a day.
And a plum is 10 grams of carbs. So other things like that really add up :( I don't know what to do!!!

Replies

• BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Is your fat intake usually way under what MFP tries to give you? How about protein?
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Eat one gram of protein for each lb of body weight... Get 30% of calories from fat... whatever is left, will be your carbs.

Ideally, for weight loss, focus on calories, just calories, dont fret about the rest until you are close to your goal weight and wanna chake things up :)
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    My fat content is 99.9% of the time lower than what MFP suggests, and my protein is either lower than what MFP suggests or 5-10 over.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    There is no need to go low carb IMO carbs are not the enemy

If you must then fill you diet with leafy greens, full fat dairy, lean and fatty meat, berries, nuts and such

I have tried lowering carbs and felt hungry, grumpy, and brain fogged xD
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about carbs... make sure you have a wide variety of foods, lots of fruit and veggies, less processed stuff if you can and you'll be fine.
    Unless you have a particular problem with carbs you don't have to reduce them.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Eat protein instead and veggies. Not all veggies are carbs. (stay away from corn)
    I eat eggs in the morning, string cheese for snacks, meat & veggies for dinner.
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    But doesn't having too much carbs prevent weight loss, or atleast make it really slow?
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Options
    I agree with rockylucas. Don't worry so much about carb. I mean don't go carb crazy or anything like that, but focus on your total calories. I have been focusing mainly on eating well balanced meal, working out daily and I am almost at 30 pounds lost in 105 days.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It is also okay to go WAY over what MFP recommends for protein.
  • PaulaButHag
    Options
    Stay away from grains, pastas, only minimum dairy, and fruits. Read ALL the labels on things you buy. Don't buy prepackaged diet foods. Prepare lean proteins and veggies. Pay close attention to serving sizes. Watch your vegetables also, some are higher in carbs than you realize. But the best way is to seek the advice of a professional. This site helps so much.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    But doesn't having too much carbs prevent weight loss, or atleast make it really slow?

Not for me.
    In my opinion, low-carb is the latest fad... It won't last forever just as low-fat didn't turn out to be so great. Some people find that eating lower carb works better for them but that doesn't mean its necessary for everyone.
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    For me it tooke trial and error. For some days I eat half of what I want, hamburger...eat half. For other days, chick peas, feta, pico da gato (SP)..Over the yrs (when I could have been losing weight)...I figured ot healthy things that I crave. Green peppers, feta, PB and nuetella...all in moderation...for me it really has been looking at the numbers
  • gramofseven
    Options
    Get rid of simple carbs and choose complex carbs.....switch to whole grains....think brown instead of white. Add lots of leafy greens and fruit....good luck:)
  • ajvallance
    ajvallance Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started upping my protein when I found that 100 calories of carbs didn't stick with me like 100 calories of protein. Another interesting fact: I tried going vegan during the day when I was cooking a lot and eating high fat dinners. I ate enough calories but I was STARVING. My appetite went through the roof. When I added the protein and fat back (which was mainly what was lacking when I went vegan) my appetite leveled out.

Don't worry about the carb number, but do listen to your body.
    Options

Nope. This is what seems to be the macro nutrient to blame for the time being. Hopefully it will pass soon.

When I did low carb I didnt lose much and was miserable. at about 180g of carbs per day now I am losing more than I ever have. I am happy with what I eat. Can you see yourself limiting carbs forever?
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    I did go through a low-carb diet last year, and I lost 15 pounds by doing it, but I ended up gaining 20 pounds months after because I just got so sick of avoiding as many carbs as I could've. I REALLY don't want that to happen again.

So low carb diets are not for me...
  • dreeminbigg
    Options

Nope. This is what seems to be the macro nutrient to blame for the time being. Hopefully it will pass soon.

When I did low carb I didnt lose much and was miserable. at about 180g of carbs per day now I am losing more than I ever have. I am happy with what I eat. Can you see yourself limiting carbs forever?

Really? Alright, now I don't feel so bad for my carb number. I just haven't lost any weight in weeks and I just thought that carbs were probably why. And no, I can't ever see myself limiting carbs forever. I think it's ridiculous that we even have to limit our vegetables! :(
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi dreeminbigg,

Well, first of all there is more than one type of carb. High glycemic-index and low is one way of classifying carbs. You can look up which ones are which online. Another way of classifying carbs is starchy and not-starchy. Starchy carbs tend to be white. For example, rice, potatoes, pasta.

You want to minimize your high glycemic and starchy carbs and eat lots of the others. Basically, you want to eat lots of veggies, a little bit of fruit and a little bit of starchy fillers. Some people find that eating brown rice or pasta instead of white rice or pasta helps with the good/not-so-good ratio too.

I have no idea where you read that 100 grams should be the upper limit of carbs for the day. That sounds really low to me.
    Options

Really? Alright, now I don't feel so bad for my carb number. I just haven't lost any weight in weeks and I just thought that carbs were probably why. And no, I can't ever see myself limiting carbs forever. I think it's ridiculous that we even have to limit our vegetables! :(

Exactly! When you cut carbs for a long time then add them back in you will see some weight gain. Plus if you love carbs and take them out, then trust me you will be miserable! Im a dietetics student and we spent a good amount of time on the study of carbs in one of my classes last semester. Calories in vs Calories out really is the most important thing! Plus in my opinion, life is too short to hate the food you are eating :flowerforyou:
  • dreeminbigg
    Options

Exactly! When you cut carbs for a long time then add them back in you will see some weight gain. Plus if you love carbs and take them out, then trust me you will be miserable! Im a dietetics student and we spent a good amount of time on the study of carbs in one of my classes last semester. Calories in vs Calories out really is the most important thing! Plus in my opinion, life is too short to hate the food you are eating :flowerforyou:

Definitely agree with that last statement! Thank you so much! :)