Could you eat the same meal everyday?

Options
Leo_King84
Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
Before I cut out bread and marge I would have scrambled egg on toast every morning, for years.

Now I'm doing carnivore diet I've found that 1 box of mince, 4 eggs and a bit of cheese, twice a day, then split 3:2 with my dog is perfect for both our calorie needs and it's cheap... so I'll be eating like this, twice a day for the foreseeable.

I do have a chicken day and steak day once a week but ultimately I've found my main meal.

Can you eat the same meal over and over if it's efficient?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Leo_King84 wrote: »
    Before I cut out bread and marge I would have scrambled egg on toast every morning, for years.

Now I'm doing carnivore diet I've found that 1 box of mince, 4 eggs and a bit of cheese, twice a day, then split 3:2 with my dog is perfect for both our calorie needs and it's cheap... so I'll be eating like this, twice a day for the foreseeable.

I do have a chicken day and steak day once a week but ultimately I've found my main meal.

Whether you can and whether you *should* are 2 different questions. Can you? Of course, nobody's going to stop you. And you are perfectly able to eat however you like. Should you? No. The health consequences of limiting yourself to only egg, mince, and cheese will catch up to you.
  • Leo_King84
    edited April 21
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Whether you can and whether you *should* are 2 different questions. Can you? Of course, nobody's going to stop you. And you are perfectly able to eat however you like. Should you? No. The health consequences of limiting yourself to only egg, mince, and cheese will catch up to you.

@sollyn23l2

What do you think these health consequences will be?
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I eat a sandwich for lunch almost every day. Never tried the exact same dinner all week, but could probably do a burrito bowl every night and just switch out the protein.

I do cook the same 4/5 meals every week, at home. It streamlines grocery shopping and saves time. I'll usually switch out a few every season.

Also, eating at a restaurant once or twice per week, which adds a little variety.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods everyday: plain oatmeal, low fat plain Greek yogurt, turkey burgers, natural almonds, avocado, etc. The only things I really rotate are type of fruit and veggie and the main dish for dinner but even then, I have a stock list of things I rotate (salmon, pork chop, roast chicken, etc.) I never get tired of the same foods.
  • sollyn23l2
    edited April 21
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    I eat the same foods everyday: plain oatmeal, low fat plain Greek yogurt, turkey burgers, natural almonds, avocado, etc. The only things I really rotate are type of fruit and veggie and the main dish for dinner but even then, I have a stock list of things I rotate (salmon, pork chop, roast chicken, etc.) I never get tired of the same foods.

ETA: hit reply on the wrong comment... sorry Lisa.

If you're literally only eating 3 food items you won't get them the variety of nutrients you need.
  • Leo_King84
    Options

If you're literally only eating 3 food items you won't get them the variety of nutrients you need.

@sollyn23l2

I add innards to 2 of those meals.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

@sollyn23l2

I add innards to 2 of those meals.

Good. That does improve it. I still wouldn't recommend it, but I'm a big believer that we can all choose how we eat. And if it works for you, brilliant.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    Options
    Yes, I live alone and I'm a lazy cook. I make a big pot of something and eat it for a week. If it's good, it's good!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Almost every work day I have the same breakfast of 3 weetbix.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    I eat the same every day almost exclusively for about 2 weeks then change the menu for another 2 weeks
    Currently
    Breakfast: oatmeal made with coffee and protein powder
    Lunch: 3 tacos
    Dinner: ahi sashimi, a cucumber and a beer
    Snack: apple
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I desperately, desperately wish I could. I would give a lot to dump meal planning and preparation drudgery. Except giving up variety, apparently.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do eat the same thing for breakfast every day while I'm eating at home. I have specific nutrition goals I need to meet every day for fiber and protein and it would be really hard to meet those goals AND stay within my calorie allotment for the overall day. There have been days when I've been thinking about eating some buckwheat pancakes with macerated blueberries and an little maple syrup,. A good meal with fiber but the calorie content of that alone is super high which would require me to have less calories somewhere else. Plus it doesn't have much protein for a single meal meaning I have to make an extra effort in another meal to make up for that.

I am also limited in what types of food I can eat due to GI issues (no dairy, no soy, no gluten, no to some other things as well).

I stick to my rolled oats with chopped fruit, scrambled egg whites, and coffee each day. It's easier not to try to switch it up on a regular basis and then figure out whether I'm meeting all my goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Here's how I think about questions like this:

Humans have evolved in a context where most diets were somewhat varied, whether seasonally or daily variation or something in between.

I've been alive long enough to see many, many nutrients scientifically identified as essential or beneficial to thriving that were not known to be so earlier in my life. I doubt that such discoveries are over. Microbiome research, in particular, seems likely to bring some things to light.

To me, those things alone make eating varied foods a bet-hedge for good health. I think most people do have certain patterns on repeat. To me, it seems like if those are multi-food (like people who eat certain foods every day, varying others; or those who eat the same thing for a week or two, then vary), that should be reasonable.

Eating the exact same very few foods every single day for indefinitely long time periods? That wouldn't be something I'd consider a good bet.

Just my opinion, though; and I'm just some random idiot on the internet, not any kind of credentialed expert.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    You could, but would you want to?

There’s a lot to be said for satisfaction.

Most people are creatures of habit, though, and frequently eat the same foods.

I have the same three meals for breakfast every morning and have for ages, and lunches and snacks tend to be from the same small pool.

I think of dinner time as my “change it up” time.

If it works for you, and you’re healthy, happy, and enjoying your meals, who cares?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Can a person eat the same meals over and over?

Many people who have dietary restrictions or food sensitivities do.

It’s actually a very common autistic thing. Not that every autistic person repeats meals, but in the autistic community there’s a phrase for this: Same Foods
    And it can be a dietary emergency for some people if a key “same food” changes formulation.

Fed is best.
    Multivitamins might be necessary for some to ensure they’re getting the bare minimum of daily nutrients.

Now, is the question whether it’s best to have a variety of foods in your diet?
    Sure. Adventurous eaters definitely are more likely to get key micronutrients.

But again. Fed is best.

Log your foods. Pay attention to what nutrients you might be lacking.
    Supplement as needed.
    And, as always, consult a registered dietitian for any medically complex dietary issues.

• sample1979
    sample1979 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would have a hard time doing that, but obviously you don't.

My personal worry about that plan would be that you are probably not getting the vitamins, minerals, fiber and nutrients in a way that your body can absorb. (I am assuming you are supplementing). There is some evidence that we evolved to eat such a variety so that encounter a wide variety of nutrients throughout the day, week, month, and over long-term periods of time to optimize our body’s functions. If your goal is weight loss, studies have shown people offered a variety of foods tend to lose more weight than those who do not.

However, you may have a plan to get all your nutrients in a really balanced way through other sources and it is hard to say what works for most will always apply to one individual. One of the challenges of discussing diet is that the same thing that works for me doesn't apply to others.