Negative Protein number at the end of the day?

Options
Just finished logging all my food for the day and I have a - 150 under protein and it's red. Could someone explain what this means? I thought I was eating a lot of protein so I need to know is this too much or not enough? It has me totally confused. Thanks! :)

Replies

• boca2714
    Options
    that means that you have eaten 150 grams of protein to much. when the number is green that shows what you have left to eat and when it is red with a "-" sign that shows how far over your target you are.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes, but too much above MFP's too-low protein recommendations, if you are doing well PLEASE do not fret over thinking ur getting "too much" protein :)
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Is this bad for me? I have been eating a lot of lean chicken, tuna, peanut butter, whole wheat bread, apples and things like that. I thought protein helped you lose weight. Should I scale back? Thanks again! :)
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Ya, what he said. It's hard to keep the protein numbers down. They add up so fast!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're using MFP's "recommended" numbers your goal is 15% protein. I find that too low for me so I changed my ratio to 35% carbs 35% protein and 15% fat, puts me closer to 175 grams of protein per day as a goal, which I do strive for.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It means you went over the protein grams recomended by MFP by the -150 so yes you had a lot of protein. If you add the 150 to the recomended protein grams my MFP it will equal the top number of protein grams you actually ate. I go over all the time on protein. Better to go over on protein than fats and carbs. You are doing good.
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    But.....Don't worry about having too much protein!!!!! Too much protein is never a bad thing. Too much fat or carbs or sodium can be a bad thing, but never too much protein.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am always over my protein! Nothing to worry about.
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is something I have been questioning also. So if too much protein isn't a bad thing then why keep track of it??
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    This is something I have been questioning also. So if too much protein isn't a bad thing then why keep track of it??
    To strive to get enough. :)
  • Kel3369
    Options
    How do I reset the values on the website and/or the iPhone app? Thanks! :)
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you! =O)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Home... goals... change goals... custom.... change macro percents to what you want and click save.
  • Kel3369
    Options
    Thank you Pandorian! :)