Substitutes for artificial sweeteners

Options
I can’t eat anything with sweeteners and with sugar alcohols and I hate the taste of Stevia and monk fruit. Any suggestions for yogurt. I hate Greek yogurt too. I have bad GERD and these upset my stomach.

Replies

• ceemax55
    ceemax55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Research Allulose...
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Fruit.
    That’s my suggestion for sweetening things like yogurt.
    A finely chopped apple, or half a banana, mashed, are an excellent addition to yogurt. Maybe a small handful of raspberries or blueberries?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Second this - fruit. Nature’s sweetener. Take your pick.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Add extracts; vanilla is my fav with cinnamon or nutmeg.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    I don't like artificial sweeteners like stevia or monkfruit, either. They don't taste right to me - kind of metallic or chemical-y or something, I don't know. Not good. I'm not diabetic or insulin resistant, though, just a calorie counter.

I strongly suspect you won't like this idea, but I just use sugar, honey, blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, apple juice concentrate, or some other calorie-containing sweetener, but don't use lots. It helps that in my case I'm not strongly attracted to sweets. There are just a few foods I prefer slightly sweetened, such as my breakfast oatmeal.

Outfits like the World Health Organization suggest that as long as a healthy person is getting less than 10% of calories from added sweeteners, that's tolerably OK. I'm typically at less than that, so it works for me.

• medtechnc
    medtechnc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will try to add those to my yogurt and cottage cheese.