Arm exercises

Options
This has probably been hashed that many times before, but do people have some ideas for exercises to tone up and build up upper arms, like in the bicep area? I have lost 11kgs so far and I am starting to get bat wings a little bit and with summer coming up I want to be able to wear sleeveless tops without parents taking their kids off the street when I walk past.
I have 2 free hand weights to use, I am walking and cycling but must admit to having missed the whole arm thing.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Do chin-ups.
    If that's too easy, do weighted chin-ups.
  • daynal98
    daynal98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, chin-ups are not an option right now. You could:

1. Lie on your back, hold the weights (2 to 5 lib free weights, depending on your strength) up on either side of you, bend your arms at the elbows, like you're making a football goal. Bring the weights together over your chest 'til they touch. Repeat 10-20 times.

2. Do bicep curls. (Look it up if you need clarity.)

3. Tricep curls. (Same as above.)

4. Hold a free weight and lift your arm up behind you, bend it at the elbow, like if you were going to scratch your back. Then straighten your arm so that the weight goes straight up in the air, above your head. Repeat!
  • katbat65
    Options
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

As you have hand weights, some of the exercises on this site might help.

Also bench dips.

Cheers
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Chinups are ideal. If weighted chinups are too easy then try muscle ups. If you can do those then you probably do not need any bigger arms :P

Although if that is out of your league for the time being then try an inverted row. You could even do lat pulldowns with your palms up if you want to work those biceps more.
  • Neggma
    Options
    Oooookey, it doesn't sound like you have the foggiest die bout what a weighted chin up or a muscle up is. So forget those fo right now.
    Push ups - even if you do them on your knees. Do them both wide armed and narrow armed.
    Backwards dip - scooch you bum off the front end of a solid chair ( like a dinning room chair). Hold your weight up by placing your hands on the seat of the chair - both your knees and hip will b at 90* bend. Slowly lower your bum to the floor and use you arms o puch yourself back up again .

Repeat these a couple hundred times a week along with walking, running, rowing, whatever our cardio activity is hat day. That will melt the fat globally from all over your body !

Ood luck!

Michelle
  • Agoschy
    Options
    Do some yoga. There are plenty moves that will give you a good arm workout especially in your triceps!
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bench dips and tricep kick backs are awesome.
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. The chin ups are out of the question, at this stage anyway! I'll get stuck into some of the tips tonight, cheers
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as out of the question. Do assistance chin-ups with a chair, resistance band, or machine assisted.
    Your arms aren't going to get any bigger if you don't increase the resistance every time you work out.

If you want triceps, do bench press and overhead press.