Not quite sure what to do.....?

Options
So I am having a really hard time hitting my calorie goal without going over other things like sodium, and sugar mainly. Im wondering some good foods that aren't too high in fat,sodium, or sugar that is decent for calories. My calorie goal is 1,580 and I usually burn about 300-350 calories when I go on my nightly 3 mile walk/run. I really try to what all my calories so I can exercise and not be under 1,200 calories by the end of the day..... Oh and Also is it bad to have too much protein? Or is there even such a thing as too much protein. Any help Or suggestions Extremely appreciated!

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Technically there isn't such thing as too much protien. Also, unless you have a known health problem that requires you to watch sugar and sodium, you're probably okay going over them a bit. I try to hit my protien, carbs, and fiber first, and worry about the rest later.

As long as you're eating as wholesome and natural as possible, I wouldn't think you are going to have too much trouble with sugar and sodium. Without being able to see your diary though, we're going to have a hard time really offering decent advice.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Are you reading the nutrition facts on the foods you're choosing? For cereals you want to try to not have more than 8 grams of sugar per serving, but also watch the milk because there is quite a bit of sugar in a cup of milk. You want to try to avoid white bread, pasta, and potatoes. They have a lot of starch in them, and starch is another way of saying sugar. There are a lot of veggies that have a high glycemic index (meaning they raise your blood sugar fast, and then drop you fast, so they leave you feeling hungry soon after you eat them) so watch corn, peas, bananas...you could google it and find a list of low glycemic index foods. As far as the sodium goes, you also need to be watching your nutrition facts...a lot of canned soups and veggies, and pre made meals are going to be high in sodium. I would try and make as much from scratch as possible. Sodium makes you retain water so it can reflect in your weight on the scale. Also if you have kidney, or heart issues or high blood pressure you want to eat a very modified amount of sodium.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my sugar, sodium and such as well. It is really hard to find a balance and I did get a little frustrated. Going over protein is fine, just make sure you are working out to some extent. I just made sure the only sugars I take in are from fruit , milk and whatever small amounts are in veggies. This means no Soda, juices, candy, or added sugars to coffee or whatever. I just drink water, that alone cut my sugar intake down. I also measure EVERYTHING. This includes milk because I never realized A) how much sugar was in milk and B) how much milk I was using. It is a lot of little changes. I would go back to your diet ( I have not looked at it) and see what you could live with and without.

Good luck!

Ditto as well on doing research to find what fruits are higher in sugar than others. Also Fresh veggies are way better than canned because of the sodium as was said :)
  • Brandie1988
    Brandie1988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, And If I can figure out how to make it so people can see my diary then I will definitely change it :)