Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

School lunch programs

Options
jcawelti
jcawelti Posts: 16 Member
I’ve been looking at my child’s school lunch options and they are abysmal at best and my school system is considered one of the better ones in California. Does anyone have a school lunch program they are proud of and if not, why is this acceptable to all of us. How do we change it?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    There's one company that basically has a chokehold on school lunches nationally. You can complain to your representatives but... to be perfectly honest, they likely don't care and will inform you that you are welcome to send lunch in with your child if you are unhappy with the food offered.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think it's down to the usual options:

Run for the local school board, write to legislators and regulators, join or form advocacy organizations, and vote for the politicians who are least objectionable/most attuned when it comes to school nutrition programs.

No, it's not acceptable.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    My kid’s school lunch director once, in a contentious school board meeting where people were up in arms about the existence of soda vending machines in the high school, stated “if they gave us mars bars for free we would happily feed them to the kids!”

So…. Yeah….

Good luck.
    🫣
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Are you and the members of you community willing to pay more for lunches and/or more in taxes to support better lunches? If not it's a non-starter.