seaweed supplements to boost thyroid?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on taking seaweed supplements to boost thyroid activity? My acupuncturist/naturalist guy told me the other day that I have a sluggish thyroid and I should be taking these supplements to stimulate it, because seaweed has iodine. Does anyone know if this is safe? Can I over dose on iodine? Or is he just trying to sell me supplements? I've had my TSH tested over a year ago and it was normal, but he says this has to do with my T3 and T4 levels, which I don't think I had tested.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Go to an endocrinologist. Don't take the word of someone who isn't a licensed person in that field of study.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    your TSH levels don't necessarily mean your thyroid is fine. You should have your T4 tested, AND your antibodies.

I wouldn't trust an acupuncturist necessarily, but get your levels checked by an endocrinologist. Just because your TSH was "normal" doesn't even mean it really is at the right # for you... normal is a relative term, some people feel good at 3.5 and others don't feel good unless their TSH is 1.0

"Whether it's the family doctor, endocrinologist, or an herbalist, you may not be getting the straight information regarding your thyroid. Here are five very common myths and bits of misinformation that you are very likely to hear, along with the real story you need to know.

5. Your Levels are Normal

First, what does "normal" mean. A few years ago, the medical community went by the standard that .5 to 5.0 on the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) blood test was the normal range. If your TSH was below .5, you were hyperthyroid/overactive. If your TSH was above 5.0, you were hypothyroid/underactive. More recently, however, both the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the The National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry's "Laboratory Medicine Practice Guidelines," have recommended that the normal range be revised, so that it is instead .3, to 3.0. Many doctors and labs still haven't switched over to the new, narrower standards and range yet, so many people who are testing in the 3.0 to 5.0 range may be told they have "normal" thyroid function by some practitioners, and diagnosed as "hypothyroid" by others. So when a doctor tells you your levels are "normal" -- ask what "normal range" he/she is actually using to make that determination."
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's actually kelp, and it does in fact stimulate the thyroid. I have an endocrinologist and personal experience. It's definitely no replacement for your thyroid hormone, though.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    It's actually kelp, and it does in fact stimulate the thyroid. I have an endocrinologist and personal experience. It's definitely no replacement for your thyroid hormone, though.

5 Lies About Your Thyroid You're Likely to Hear

4. If You Have a Thyroid Problem, Take Iodine or Kelp

Nnatural health practitioners who don't truly understand thyroid function are often quick to tell you that "thyroid problems mean you need iodine" or iodine-containing herbs or supplements, such as kelp, bladderwrack and bugleweed.

If you are truly iodine deficient, iodine may be able to help your thyroid. One study done in 1998 found that over the past twenty years, the percentage of Americans with low intake of iodine has more than quadrupled. Currently about 12 percent of the U.S. population is iodine deficient, up from less than 3 percent in the early 1970s. So, for some people, iodine deficiency may be a factor in their thyroid problem.

But for some people, iodine or iodine-containing products make worsen autoimmune thyroid problems, both Hashimoto's and Graves' disease, and cause enlargement of the thyroid (goiter). Before you start iodine, consider having urinary iodine measured to see if you have an actual deficiency, and pay close attention to any symptoms that develop after you start to take iodine.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/5lies.htm
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I take Irish Sea Moss - not a supplement, but the actual plant. I get headaches from eating salt, so I probably don't get enough iodine since I never salt my food. Mostly it helps me reduce inflammation and hunger. The only place I can find to buy it is online.
    http://www.wifglobal.com/seamoss_usage.htm#STORAGE
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I take Irish Sea Moss - not a supplement, but the actual plant. I get headaches from eating salt, so I probably don't get enough iodine since I never salt my food. Mostly it helps me reduce inflammation and hunger. The only place I can find to buy it is online.

not all salt has iodine....the sea salt i have in my home isn't iodized. They have to add the iodine to it to be labled iodized.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options

not all salt has iodine....the sea salt i have in my home isn't iodized. They have to add the iodine to it to be labled iodized.

True statement. But my point was simply: since I DON'T use table salt, I know I am not getting 'extra' iodine that the average person who uses regular salt does.
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    I thought I had thyroid issues for years and could never get help as my levels were between 3-4 TSH which is not considered a problem in canada. After getting pregnant things got better with my TSH levels as apparently pregnancy can sometimes give the thryoid a little kick,, seemed to work for me.

Renently I had been exhausted and my levels were again around 3 but again, in canada need to be a 5 before considered a problem. I was not keen on taking a drug for the rest of my life anyway but was desperate to feel human and not foggy anymore. I made the decision to really track what I was eating (hence the MFP and exercise regularly). I have been doing turbofire and chalene extreme for about 2 months now and trying to eat every 3 hours (lean protein, veggies and low carbs)

What a difference in my energy levels and no more brain fog. I used to feel foggy most of the day from about 2pm on wards and was always exhausted. I am really glad I made the effort to change my lifestyle as in my case it made a HUGE difference. I think the eating every 3 hours too really is important for my energy levels and the brain fog. Hopefully it will keep my thyroid issues at bay and I will never have to go on the drugs as they are sure not a "cure". My mom and aunt are both on the drugs and it is a constant challenge for my mom to keep her dosgae correct it seems and her health seems to have deteriorated since she has been on it. Of course I am not saying the drug is the cause but it makes me leary of going on any drug, especially long term!
  • dajostev
    dajostev Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I thought I had thyroid issues for years and could never get help as my levels were between 3-4 TSH which is not considered a problem in canada. After getting pregnant things got better with my TSH levels as apparently pregnancy can sometimes give the thryoid a little kick,, seemed to work for me.

Renently I had been exhausted and my levels were again around 3 but again, in canada need to be a 5 before considered a problem. I was not keen on taking a drug for the rest of my life anyway but was desperate to feel human and not foggy anymore. I made the decision to really track what I was eating (hence the MFP and exercise regularly). I have been doing turbofire and chalene extreme for about 2 months now and trying to eat every 3 hours (lean protein, veggies and low carbs)

What a difference in my energy levels and no more brain fog. I used to feel foggy most of the day from about 2pm on wards and was always exhausted. I am really glad I made the effort to change my lifestyle as in my case it made a HUGE difference. I think the eating every 3 hours too really is important for my energy levels and the brain fog. Hopefully it will keep my thyroid issues at bay and I will never have to go on the drugs as they are sure not a "cure". My mom and aunt are both on the drugs and it is a constant challenge for my mom to keep her dosgae correct it seems and her health seems to have deteriorated since she has been on it. Of course I am not saying the drug is the cause but it makes me leary of going on any drug, especially long term!

Hi
    I have had a thyroid problem for about 10 years and have been taking thryoxine or whatever other name brand drug that the doctor gives me to get me levels normal. My doctor will only up my meds if the T3 is above 5. Last August I had the doctor switch me to the natural thryoid(dessicated thyroid) and it has made a big difference in my life. It did take about 6 months to get it to the proper levels. My doctor also now checks my T3s and T4s where before he would only check my T3s. I will still have to go for regular blood tests but I would rather take regular blood test then need naps almost twice a week. I am glad that diet and exercise is working for you. I am hoping that I can lose 60 lbs, I have lost 10 so far, meanwhile my husband has lost 20lbs. Even losing 60 lbs I will still be over weight but it is a start.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I take a kelp supplement for iodine, since I almost never add table salt and at times take in a lot of soy. I only take one though because too much iodine can cause its own problems.
  • strengthmogul
    strengthmogul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lenai wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on taking seaweed supplements to boost thyroid activity? My acupuncturist/naturalist guy told me the other day that I have a sluggish thyroid and I should be taking these supplements to stimulate it, because seaweed has iodine. Does anyone know if this is safe? Can I over dose on iodine? Or is he just trying to sell me supplements? I've had my TSH tested over a year ago and it was normal, but he says this has to do with my T3 and T4 levels, which I don't think I had tested.

It's great that you're seeking more information before starting any new supplements. Seaweed supplements are indeed a source of iodine, which is essential for thyroid function. However, it's crucial to be cautious with iodine supplementation, as too much can also be harmful to your thyroid.

Iodine overdose can lead to thyroid dysfunction, so it's important to follow recommended dosages and consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen, especially if you have normal TSH levels. Your acupuncturist's advice may be well-intentioned, but it's always best to get personalized advice based on your specific health situation.