Mediterranean lunch?

Options
mirby410
mirby410 Posts: 1 Member
Hi! Looking for a lunch idea that involves chick peas (or something similar), chicken (or other protein), maybe some avocado or olive oil and some veggies. Thanks!

Answers

• Astrianex
    Astrianex Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 17
    Options
    Sumac chicken with harrisa chickpeas and courgette?

314 calories

1 large chicken breast coverd in sumac roasted in oven with 1/2 chopped courgette. Fry 1/4 red onion and 1/2 red pepper and add 1/4 tin of chickpeas and 1/2 tbsp of harrisa paste.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,473 Member
    Options
    Dip raw veggies in some hummus. That uses all your ingredients except chicken.
  • skuhnell
    skuhnell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my go to lunch. Start with your leafy base. Add the flavorful and very low calorie veggies next (cherry tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, banana peppers), then add whatever protein you like (instant pot shredded chicken with ranch and taco seasonings are my fav) then dollop your healthy fats (hummus and tzatziki most commonly for me) sprinkle some red wine vinegar or lemon juice, another sprinkle of no salt seasoning and voila
  • skuhnell
    skuhnell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    dw4bmko88a2d.jpeg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    mirby410 wrote: »
    Hi! Looking for a lunch idea that involves chick peas (or something similar), chicken (or other protein), maybe some avocado or olive oil and some veggies. Thanks!

Cook chicken and any of the veggies that prefer to eat cooked. Dump all of the ingredients listed above except for the olive oil in a bowl. Combine olive oil with vinegar of choice to taste, salt, pepper, and a little Dijon mustard as an emulsifier. Pour over ingredients in bowl. Enjoy.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited April 26
    Options

I might try this recipe-

One Pot Pasta With A Chickpea And Tomato Sauce

2 Medium Onion
    3 Cloves Garlic
    1 Teaspoon Oregano
    1 Teaspoon Paprika
    1 Teaspoon Chilli Flakes
    1 (400g) Can Chickpeas
    1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
    1 (400g) Can Chopped Tomatoes
    200 g Pasta
    500 ml Vegetable Stock
    2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

https://www.lowlyfood.com/recipe/one-pot-pasta-with-a-chickpea-and-tomato-sauce/

(And just a plain old avocado on the side w/salt?)
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,447 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    4ihqd7opricv.png

Chick Pea burger

Ingredients
    US Customary
    Metric

▢15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
    ▢1/4 cup chopped small red onion (about 1/2 small red onion)
    ▢2 cloves garlic, minced
    ▢1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    ▢1/2 teaspoon salt
    ▢2 tablespoons tahini or peanut butter
    ▢1/3 cup breadcrumbs
    ▢1/2 cup chopped cilantro (may also use parsley)
    Instructions
    In a large bowl, add the drained and rinsed chickpeas. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them until no whole beans remain.
    Add the chopped red onion, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini, breadcrumbs and cilantro to the chickpeas, and stir with a large spoon until well combined.
    Form into burger shapes, about 3-4 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.
    In a large pan, heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat. Carefully place the patties on the pan, and fry for about 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Alternatively, you could bake the burgers at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for 15 more minutes.
    Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate.
    Serve immediately on buns with toppings of choice. I went with vegan mayo, arugula, tomatoes
    and red onion slices. Enjoy!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,686 Member
    Options
    A favourite lunch to take to work involves quinoa instead of chickpeas. Start with any tasty salad containing protein such as greek salad. Toast cooked quinoa tossed with a little olive oil and salt in the air fryer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mixing that into your salad adds crunch and makes it more filling.
  • Ronnvee
    Ronnvee Posts: 19 Member
    Options

This is a fabulous salad that holds well in the fridge for a few days and is great for a snack while you're standing with the fridge door open wondering what to cook for dinner.

Its from The Flavor Equation by Nik Sharma

Chickpea Salad with Date and Tamarind Dressing
    A make-ahead chickpea salad filled with fresh vegetables and a sweet and
    sour date and tamarind dressing.
    Yield: 2-4 servings
    Ingredients
    For the dressing
    ¼ cup date syrup
    1 tbsp tamarind paste
    1 tbsp fresh lime juice
    1 tsp ground ginger
    sea salt, to taste
    For the chickpea salad
    1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 cucumber, diced
    1 shallot, minced
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    2 tbsp fresh dill leaves, minced
    2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp Aleppo pepper flakes
    ½ tsp amchur powder
    ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
    sea salt, to taste
    Instructions
    For the dressing
    1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the date syrup, tamarind paste, lime juice, and ginger. Season to taste
    with salt. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad or store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
    For the chickpea salad
    1. In a large bowl, toss together the chickpeas, cucumber, shallot, cherry tomatoes, dill, mint, olive oil,
    pepper flakes, amchur, and black pepper. Toss with 2 tbsp of the dressing, then season to taste with salt.
    Add more dressing as desired.
    Notes
    Recipe from The Flavor Equation
  • reillygal14
    reillygal14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1w6m5ifb8n18.jpg
    I like making this simple bowl during the summer when it's hot, and I don't warm anything up. I'm not an olive person so those aren't in there. Next time I make it I might throw some chickpeas in too!
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    skuhnell wrote: »
    dw4bmko88a2d.jpeg

This looks delicious!

I have been wanting to try to incorporate more Mediterranean dishes into my routine - I may need to try this one!
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I adapted this recipe to make ground turkey to put in mason jar salads this week, but it was so good I am definitely going to get some cauliflower rice and make Greek bowls for lunches too!

https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/greek-ground-turkey/