peanut butter question?

Options
I was looking to buy peanut butter yesterday and was wondering which is the best to get? They had a choice of sunpat, organic or shop own brand in smooth, crunchy or wholenut. I ended up buying the own make whole nut as it was £1.50 cheaper than the others but wasn't sure if I have got the right one.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I prefer a natural peanut butter...the way I find the "best" of what's available is look for the one with the fewest ingredients (and those you can identify). Mine has simply peanuts, peanut oil, and traces of salt in it. But even though it lists "traces of salt" in the ingredients, it is so miniscule that it doesn't really register above 0 on the nutrition facts.
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    you should google PB 2!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I like the peanut butter in Reeses cups.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I like the peanut butter in Reeses cups.

oooo my fav chocolate in a milllion yrs xx
    whoever thought of puting chocolate and peanut butter together should be given a nobel prize!! lol :drinker:
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Buy peanut butter made from 100% peanuts only. That way you know exactly what you are eating and KNOW that there are no nasty additives.

I buy Sanitarium !00% peanuts crunchy peanut butter (they do smooth as well). Usually found in the health-food section of your supermarket rather than the spreads isle.

Happy peanut butter hunting! :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Check the ingredients list to see how much added sugar and salt are in each brand then decide whether you you have room in your diet for that sodium and sugar. I usually buy a no added salt or sugar version - because I think they are better for me and because I'm not so tempted to eat it sraightout of the jar, unlike the sweeter ones!
    I also avoid "lite" versions because if I'm going to eat peanut butter I want to eat peanuts not some cheap starchy filler.
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I was looking to buy peanut butter yesterday and was wondering which is the best to get? They had a choice of sunpat, organic or shop own brand in smooth, crunchy or wholenut. I ended up buying the own make whole nut as it was £1.50 cheaper than the others but wasn't sure if I have got the right one.
    Whichever one you end up getting, I would stay away from "extreme crunchy". I bought some once; it was just peanuts. Do you know how hard it is to spread that? Aw yeah, it's extreme, baby...
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Whole Earth is really nice - it has no added sugar but is still sweet, plus it's organic (I think there's a non-organic version too). Waitrose sells it, as does Holland & Barrett, and I expect that other supermarkets and health shops carry it too. Unfortunately it does have a little added salt, plus palm oil (sourced from RSPO members, so is allegedly ethical and sustainable). 95% peanuts, palm Oil, sea salt.

http://www.wholeearthfoods.com/products/1

Biona's organic PB is 100% organic peanuts - nothing else. You can get it on the High Street in selected shops but it's also readily available online. They also make hazelnut, almond, cashew, and mixed nut butters. And they are delicious! Do tend to go a little hard if refrigerated (due to having no oil added) - I never keep PB in the 'fridge anyway, and it's always fine.

http://www.biona.co.uk/page-219.html

Meridian organic PB comes as no added salt (99% peanuts, 1% sugar), no added sugar (99% peanuts, 1% salt) or no added salt & sugar (100% peanuts). As with Biona, if you keep it in the 'fridge, it will probably be difficult to spread.

http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/index.asp?Dietry=Wheat Free

Holland and Barrett sell Meridian, and I expect other whole food shops do. I've never seen it in Waitrose though.

I don't know which supermarket you use but I know that Waitrose's Wholenut peanut butter isn't bad in terms of salt and sugar; 98% peanuts, plus palm oil and salt but the palm oil could be a bit of an issue for some....no info on whether it's from sustainable sources. However, their organic crunchy peanut butter only contains 95% peanuts (plus palm oil and salt) - go figure! Waitrose Essential Crunchy contains 95% peanuts, brown cane sugar, palm oil, sea salt - so not the best option IMO. (I don't know why sugar is added to PB - it's so unnecessary!)

Sun-Pat Crunchy, BTW, contains: Peanuts, Stabilizer (E471), cane sugar, peanut oil, sea salt. Total Peanut Ingredients (95%) - I assume that 95% means the actual nuts, plus the oil. I never have Sun-Pat!

I have no idea about Jif or Schmuckers (available through Amazon) - neither are brands I feel drawn to!

~~~

PB2 sounds intriguing but it's not available in the UK, and in all honesty, I'm a little suspicious of it! :laugh:

~~~

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - yikes! Vile things, IMO! While I agree that chocolate and PB is a match made in Heaven, the brown stuff in RPBC is not chocolate! Sorry US people, what passes for chocolate in your country is nasty, waxy and tasteless! :laugh:
  • kfuller27
    kfuller27 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    PB2!! Amazing stuff and SO much better for you than regular peanut butter. http://www.bellplantation.com
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I make sure there's no trans fat or high fructose corn syrup in my peanut butter.

You're obviously in England and I don't know if you have the same brands we do in the US, but my by-far favorite is Skippy Natural. It does have a little added salt and palm oil, but it tastes AMAZING -- better than any PB I've ever had. :-)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    PB2!! Amazing stuff and SO much better for you than regular peanut butter. http://www.bellplantation.com
    Fewer calories =/= healthier.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love PB2 :smile:
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Whole Earth is really nice - it has no added sugar but is still sweet, plus it's organic (I think there's a non-organic version too). Waitrose sells it, as does Holland & Barrett, and I expect that other supermarkets and health shops carry it too. Unfortunately it does have a little added salt, plus palm oil (sourced from RSPO members, so is allegedly ethical and sustainable). 95% peanuts, palm Oil, sea salt.

Biona's organic PB is 100% organic peanuts - nothing else. You can get it on the High Street in selected shops but it's also readily available online. They also make hazelnut, almond, cashew, and mixed nut butters. And they are delicious! Do tend to go a little hard if refrigerated (due to having no oil added) - I never keep PB in the 'fridge anyway, and it's always fine.

Meridian organic PB comes as no added salt (99% peanuts, 1% sugar), no added sugar (99% peanuts, 1% salt) or no added salt & sugar (100% peanuts). As with Biona, if you keep it in the 'fridge, it will probably be difficult to spread.

Holland and Barrett sell Meridian, and I expect other whole food shops do. I've never seen it in Waitrose though.

I don't know which supermarket you use but I know that Waitrose's Wholenut peanut butter isn't bad in terms of salt and sugar; 98% peanuts, plus palm oil and salt but the palm oil could be a bit of an issue for some....no info on whether it's from sustainable sources. However, their organic crunchy peanut butter only contains 95% peanuts (plus palm oil and salt) - go figure! Waitrose Essential Crunchy contains 95% peanuts, brown cane sugar, palm oil, sea salt - so not the best option IMO. (I don't know why sugar is added to PB - it's so unnecessary!)

Sun-Pat Crunchy, BTW, contains: Peanuts, Stabilizer (E471), cane sugar, peanut oil, sea salt. Total Peanut Ingredients (95%) - I assume that 95% means the actual nuts, plus the oil. I never have Sun-Pat!

I have no idea about Jif or Schmuckers (available through Amazon) - neither are brands I feel drawn to!

~~~

PB2 sounds intriguing but it's not available in the UK, and in all honesty, I'm a little suspicious of it! :laugh:

~~~

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - yikes! Vile things, IMO! While I agree that chocolate and PB is a match made in Heaven, the brown stuff in RPBC is not chocolate! Sorry US people, what passes for chocolate in your country is nasty, waxy and tasteless! :laugh:

Wow, what an indepth post! My 2p-worth (as I'm in the UK) is Whole Earth crunchy (I don't bother with organic). But be warned, it's feckin' yummy!!! TOO yummy!!!
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Do you have a grocery store near you that offers grinding your
    own butter? We have one that offers peanut or almond...both
    delicious! And, no additives!
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    We do a few different brands here in the US, but I just look for pb that has only peanuts (and sometimes flaxseed) in the ingredients. One of my favorite snacks is apples and peanut butter
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Fewer calories =/= healthier.

exactly

this is the nutrition label on PB2:
    PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.

Mine just has peanuts. that's it. just peanuts.

How is the one with sugar added "SO much better" for you?

the website also says "our special process removes 85% of the fat".
    A "process" huh?

How about just smoosh the peanuts?
    No "special process" needed. as the FAT in PB is GOOD fats, and we NEED those, so feel free to eat the FULL FAT version.:flowerforyou:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Justin's nut butter is amazing!

Justinsnutbutter.com <- there is a song on the site and it's awesome.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Justin's nut butter is amazing!

Justinsnutbutter.com <- there is a song on the site and it's awesome.

heh hehe...that's what she said....

and that song is too cute!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options

~~~

~~~

A lot of good info here. When I first moved to the UK (from the US) I bought Whole Earth. The best option on the shelves of the average shop, IMO since I typically buy only natural pb. I do however have a problem with palm oil, and since I found Meridian butters at Holland and Barrett I haven't bought Whole Earth. Also, I think that Whole Earth tastes really salty.

@rml_2: Tesco just started stocking Skippy, but it's the extra crunchy regular kind, not natural. I bought a small jar just for the memories!!
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options

~~~

~~~

BUMP!

Will refer to this for my next trip to the health food shop - big thank you Nicôle!